Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OCD Tool owners, I have an idea for you!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OCD Tool owners, I have an idea for you!

OK, so not specific to the GT3, other than these are some the tools I will be using to maintain the car, and specifically over the next couple of weeks, to take the front bumper off to add screens, and probably replace the front radiator, as I have a very small coolant leak up there.

I suspect im not alone on this forum in loving my tools. I dont have a ton, but the ones I have I try and take pride in. I wanted to really get my act together and get my stuff organized, so I bought this craftsman Drawer Organizer foam:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-f...p-00965417000P

It is outrageously expensive for what you get, two pieces of foam, and some sticky paper, then again its $20.

I'll start by warning you that this isnt exactly the quickest of projects. It is pretty straight forward, but it took me a good three hours to do this one drawer! It is quite satisfying though. I think its worth the time, just to have a better sense of whether or not you've got all your tools or, if you've left something somewhere. Empty slot, means missing tool.

OK, so we start with laying out the tools:

Trace it with a narrow point marker:

Spend hours meticulously cutting with a #11 x-acto blade:

Finished Product:

Its just one drawer, a couple more to go, but I like it so far. If nothing else, it keeps me away from the refrigerator for a few hours!

Michael
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Michael that is awesome. Do not think I have the patience for this. Cool idea and turned out great.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool! and nicely done.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Many cities now have a DIY shop/club for all sorts of projects. This would be perfect for a CNC laser cutter or a CNC knife/fabric cutter. You just need to convert the traced outlines into a format that the machine can read. I would think you could take a photo, then import that into something like Adobe Illustrator or perhaps a CAD application, then "trace" over the image to create all the pockets.

On second thought... maybe it's faster to just do it the way you did it. LOL

Damn it! Now my new trailer won't be ballin' without my drawers all spiffed out like yours!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Google Sketchup (free), make your layout, export to DXF, take to local water-jet shop with your foam, bam instant (well sort of...) drawer liners to your liking. Or for the true baller... - http://www.deltacdynamics.com/Pages/foamliners.aspx
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Nice work Michael.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

nicely done.

What's the funky tool with the red anodized handle?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
nicely done.

What's the funky tool with the red anodized handle?
That is My newest addition to the collection. It is a Snap On tire pressure gauge. Model TGS1:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Do I need a gauge that is certified to be accurate to within 1/2%? No, probably not, but I sure did want one! Beautiful red anodized aluminium, made n the USA, (I'm on this kick to Only buy stuff made in the USA or Europe, especially tools. I'm just sick of the cheap plastic crap!) and gloriously analog! It'll last my lifetime, and my son's as well. A true multi-generational tool.

I love it also because its one handed operation, just press it on the valve stem. Simple, well built, and beautiful. What more do you need in a woman...I mean tool!!

Michael
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seapar
Nice work Michael.
Thanks Seapar

M
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

paging chromium... you know my boxes and my tools. you start laser cutting this foam, we are in business.

i almost bought a bunch of the foam last year. but wife didn't approve water jet cutter or laser cutter..... damn....

pj, do you need dimension on your box so you can start fitting your ebay tool spree to the box hahahaha...

god help us. we are so fkng hopeless
Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Michael Russell
That is My newest addition to the collection. It is a Snap On tire pressure gauge. Model TGS1:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Do I need a gauge that is certified to be accurate to within 1/2%? No, probably not, but I sure did want one! Beautiful red anodized aluminium, made n the USA, (I'm on this kick to Only buy stuff made in the USA or Europe, especially tools. I'm just sick of the cheap plastic crap!) and gloriously analog! It'll last my lifetime, and my son's as well. A true multi-generational tool.

I love it also because its one handed operation, just press it on the valve stem. Simple, well built, and beautiful. What more do you need in a woman...I mean tool!!

Michael
nice
snap on
matco
facom
that's about it.

i am a snap on man myself. now if i can just figure out how to use the screw driver i be set.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by zip465
Google Sketchup (free), make your layout, export to DXF, take to local water-jet shop with your foam, bam instant (well sort of...) drawer liners to your liking. Or for the true baller... - http://www.deltacdynamics.com/Pages/foamliners.aspx
jerk!
now i will be bankrupt.
good thing, this outfit is far in WA.
but hey PJ, it's in your neighborhood.
i'll drop ship orange box to them. they will fill with with $50k in snap on stuff and custom cut foams......

so nice to see others being tortured.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I need to amass the tools, get ideal lay out designed, then proceed
this will take one year
I am in a haze and need to be clear headed before I take on something like this.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I need to amass the tools, get ideal lay out designed, then proceed
this will take one year
I am in a haze and need to be clear headed before I take on something like this.
You should make a list of the tools you want (not necessarily need), in fact I can help you with what that list (makes things easier for me at the track ), and let your wife know this is your wish list. You bring her flowers, you get a ratchet, you bring her to Hawaii, she gets you a compressor!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OCD Tool owners, I have an idea for you!