Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

fellas, if you are inclined to come to this as yet unspecified Spring 2013 date, then please let me know so I can add you to the list. Yes, yes, I know whether or not you can attend is dependent on the date. If it turns out that it is your wedding anniversary or daughters wedding or some such nonsense, we won't hold you to it.

So, if you want to go, "depending on actual date confirmation", please let me know asap so I can add you to the list. Once list gets big enough, David will book the date and all on the list will have priority.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE

yes, drovers were pointing in the corners as a courtesy, basically telling you to hustle on by them. I do not remember pointing being required. I was never held up by anyone. The F1 car certainly did not wait for any point-by's. lol

I agree that there were different levels of "experienced" drivers at VIR - same as with every advanced DE run group I have ever attended. There were no morons, everyone shared the track, passing was anytime, anywhere. With the open format, there was never a time when the track seemed crowded at all.
First I do really enjoy David Murray events, but dont sell a bill of goods that is not true.....David Murray is not super solo

Point by was required at David Murray in corners (optional in straights), not sure if you followed the drivers meeting or not. I spent quite a few laps parked on this Fiat bumber waiting for him to let me by.....hence the pass flag LOL

Didnt you run one or two sesions in the morning.....broke water pumper fitting somewhere.....worked on car.....drove home to get black car.....when you got back it was en of second day.....yes less cars on track

I do believe COTA will be different than VIR for a David Murray event.....at VIR most of the people there are very familuar with the track.

At COTA most everybody wont know the track, and most drivers in a DE rarely go away form their "home" track....so they have no process in learning a new track....so they will come up slowly.....and COTA doesnt have teh striaghts VIR does for a clean pass does it?
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

40 is the minimum number he was looking for to get an idea if this would work before he books the track. The event will have 70 to 80 participants. At VIR the 2-day fee was $800.
Now THAT sounds much more reasonable. Count me in!

Joost
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Izzone
First I do really enjoy David Murray events, but dont sell a bill of goods that is not true.....David Murray is not super solo

Point by was required at David Murray in corners (optional in straights), not sure if you followed the drivers meeting or not. I spent quite a few laps parked on this Fiat bumber waiting for him to let me by.....hence the pass flag LOL

Didnt you run one or two sesions in the morning.....broke water pumper fitting somewhere.....worked on car.....drove home to get black car.....when you got back it was en of second day.....yes less cars on track

I do believe COTA will be different than VIR for a David Murray event.....at VIR most of the people there are very familuar with the track.

At COTA most everybody wont know the track, and most drivers in a DE rarely go away form their "home" track....so they have no process in learning a new track....so they will come up slowly.....and COTA doesnt have teh striaghts VIR does for a clean pass does it?
"required" ??? hmmm... yes there was a meeting. And then we went on track. And then you got stuck behind the Ferrari... that I passed immediately when I got to him.

No, not SuperSolo. Almost. Close enough.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Add me to list. so long as it is not early feb i should be able to go
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

got a PM from ZSA Motorsports (NJ) saying that the same 4 drovers that they brought to VIR for DMTD in September would like to come to COTA, plus maybe 2 others.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

"required" ??? hmmm... yes there was a meeting. And then we went on track. And then you got stuck behind the Ferrari... that I passed immediately when I got to him.

No, not SuperSolo. Almost. Close enough.
Just advertise an event with the rules for what it is. Id hate to see all of these RL people you dont know show up to a finger pass event and decide they dont need to play by the rules. Espically when they might not be comfortable with unexpected open passing

And David Murray is pass required in corners, sure you ignored the fact and dint pay attention in the drivers mtg. One day while playing by your own rules (not the ones given by the organiation) someone is going to not expect you to be there and drive straight into you.

if open passing.....im game.....if finger passing......I wait for the pass. You never know what the other person is thinking in the car in front of you. He could have a coach in the side seat discussing the corner (at a slower pace) asking you to do something different and someone who ignores the rules comes flying by on his hero lap....ive had it happen to me

Its DE, not TT
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What Randy said....

I don't see what the big deal about point by's are. It's not racing. Most people point in PBOC SS, even though it's not required. Courtesy thing. As long as people are early with the point, I like the idea of them acknowledging that I'm passing and that we'll be side by side through a corner. That way we're both prepared to do something other than the normal line. Same goes for when I'm being passed. No surprises.

I completely agree that point by only on straights does suck. That gets old.

You can put me down as interested. It's really hard to commit without knowing what the dates are or the cost. DM is really expensive, but is one of the best events around. I would imagine that this will be significantly more expensive than VIR was based on the venue. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Count me in

Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested, date dependent. Will be doing MVP event.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Just advertise an event with the rules for what it is. Id hate to see all of these RL people you dont know show up to a finger pass event and decide they dont need to play by the rules. Espically when they might not be comfortable with unexpected open passing

And David Murray is pass required in corners, sure you ignored the fact and dint pay attention in the drivers mtg. One day while playing by your own rules (not the ones given by the organiation) someone is going to not expect you to be there and drive straight into you.

if open passing.....im game.....if finger passing......I wait for the pass. You never know what the other person is thinking in the car in front of you. He could have a coach in the side seat discussing the corner (at a slower pace) asking you to do something different and someone who ignores the rules comes flying by on his hero lap....ive had it happen to me

Its DE, not TT
Randy I highlighted a couple of things that I think were well said and very important.

Folks Randy and others are correct in that all participants will be unfamiliar with the track. You may be advanced at your home track where you have a gazillion laps but not having driven multiple tracks can put you in a bind with learning the new track.

Peter
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.and COTA doesnt have teh striaghts VIR does for a clean pass does it?

I don't know about this, COTA has plenty of straight. Also considering part of VIR's straights have bends in them where passing is unlikely.

I think if you get stuck behind somebody after turn 1 and 2 at COTA, you could end up quite frustrated.

I was under the impression this was open passing. the only way I switch now is if the event is the same week (before or after) of the NARRA event so I can make one trip instead of two.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Its DE, not TT
From DMTD Rules and Regulations page:

•Passing will be permitted anywhere on the race track. Although "point-by" signals are always recommended, they are MANDATORY in corners. This rule will be strictly enforced.
•The overtaking vehicle always bears the responsibility of executing a safe pass.
•If a pass sign is not used (on straights only), the vehicle being passed will remain on-line. The passing vehicle will move off-line to execute the pass.
•Racing is expressly prohibited at any time during DMTD events.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Hopefully this event is being coordinated with the COTA PCA Club Race - not yet announced but understood to be in the works - as it was with upcoming Sebring event. That would assure a high turnout.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hopefully this event is being coordinated with the COTA PCA Club Race - not yet announced but understood to be in the works - as it was with upcoming Sebring event. That would assure a high turnout.
That would be fun

Im sure that PCA will offer an advanced DE....drive COTA and then watch PCA club racers smash into each other

Wonder if they will make teh first lap without a pile up......they never seem to make it at Sebring LOL

Quick Reply: COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity