Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Getting high in Europe...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Getting high in Europe...

No, not in Amsterdam... rather on the highest paved road in Europe at 9,193 feet. But more on that later...

Adding to my infrequent updates, I closed out the late summer with a few more trips around the south of France. My wife joined me for another 'romantic' weekend down in Monaco. I had the decency to inform her on the flight down to Nice that we'd be awaking early on Sunday morning for a 'quick trip' to see some nice scenery... that being the Col de Turini. This paticular alpine pass is the stuff of legend, featured in many a Monte Carlo Rally, oft named one of the best driving roads in the world, and apparently an occassional object of torture for our 2-wheeled friends on the Tour de France. It's a beautiful ride and would take a lifetime to master. I'd like to say my inner Walther Rohrl finally emerged... but as a first timer with a wife sitting shotgun, it wasn't to be. I've attached a YouTube clip of a few spots, my wife holding the camera (think less than thrilled ).

The peak is really nice, albeit goats did cause a momentary traffic jam. Thankfully the GT3 wing makes a great snack bar. I did repay the favor, taking my wife down to Cannes for fruits-de-mer lunch at the famous Astoux et Brun and doing some antique artwork shopping in the blazing sun (the former being excellent, the later should have been addressed as a form of torture under the Geneva Convention).

Another great stay at the Monte Carlo Bay resort... fabulous pools, modern rooms, and they always park my GT3 out front next to the Bugattis, Lambos, Ferraris and the rest.
Attached Images    

Last edited by globed; 12-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Continued...

I returned a few weeks later to the south of France with a buddy, ostensibly to have my GT3 warranty extended. Yes, the warranty coverage in Europe is about up... and yes, we had a cunning plan about a few late nights. If you have to know, it did involve nearly every bar at Port Hercule as well as Buddha Bar, Jimmyz Sporting, and the rest...

Having fallen victim to my inner Bacchus, and against all odds, I did make it to Porsche Beausoleil at 8am on the Friday morning. The place didn't really lend an air of confidence, but it was just an inspection. Seeing a Porsche GT1 disassembled down to it's skimpy bits should have lent a bit of confidence, however I could only wonder how many times the owner has been told about a backorder for 7th Fetzer Valves.

First time staying at Le Meridien Monaco... outside facilities are stunning, room looked like it had a few too many all-nighters. A morning at the beach helped cure me a bit, and upon return my lack of confidence was rewarded: the inspection wasn't finished, the tires were well over-inflated, and the radio was on an arabic-dance music station. Nonetheless, with a stack of french-legalese paperwork in hand, at least I've got my warranty... I think.

Feeling as horrible as we did, I conjured another excellent plan... the fabeled highest paved road in Europe, the Col de Bonnette. Why my buddy went along with this, I'll never know. The road up to this area extends north from Nice. Within an hour, you're experiencing some of the finest rock-canyon style driving around... GT3 exhuast and natural rock walls make for the sexiest of sounds. These roads are very approachable for the unitiated, as there is quite a bit of fun between the blind corners. As the road began it's serious climb, the previous nights excess began knocking on heavens door, the always favorite stomach cramps and cold sweats... fortunately the French have a flair for the traditional, the ever-so-quaint squat toilet

While aggressive driving was the norm down low, the sheer drops convinced me to take it slow towards the top. 9,193 feet is a fair way up for a mountain pass, the engine noticeably down on pep. With another 'I was there' achievement under my belt, we headed back to Monaco for a final night of gluttony.

If you have the opportunity to drive the mountain passes around the Italian/French border... Col de Bonnette should be at the top of your list. And I endevour to procure a proper in-car camera for better videos. Until next installmant, when the GT3 leaves Monaco and heads further south for the winter.
Attached Images      

Last edited by globed; 12-16-2012 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (12-21-2022)
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ever so exquisite! Love the seafood and great story to go with the awesome pics! A friend of mine travels often to Nice; I will mention the Col de Bonnette.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

This is what is all about..
Well done and thank you.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

you sir know how to speak my language!

thank you so much for sharing!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living the life, as one should

Thanks for posting. ALL best!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

What a trip! Loved the seafood pic as well, I'm still salivating over the oysters. Beautiful roads, beautiful car. You must have had a blast! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting Dan. A RL'er on the 993 forum and I are planning on heading over there next year. Now we'll have some extra calls thanks to your post. BTW, great pic's!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

+1 for buddha bar AND jimmyz

I'll be back there in a few months!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Awesome bucket list stuff.
Very cool thank you for posting, really enjoy reading about your trips.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Dont forget to go to the Le Baron in Paris, one of the best nights I ever had ... and trust me, I had quite few of the them
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
+1 for buddha bar AND jimmyz

I'll be back there in a few months!
Buddha Bar rocks! ... wish I was there for new year!

- larry
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 34 Posts

Great words, photos and video. Thank you.

Two months for me in Nice, France next year. Sadly my GT3 will be in Florida.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)

This is really what GT3s are for. I tend to do 1 or 2 trips a year to Southern Europe, starting from Brussels, always with some track days thrown in. It is probably the only car you can drive from Brussels to Italy, do a day at Monza, a day at Imola and a day at Mugello and make it back to Brussels without intervention of a mechanic (other than to change tyres...). Thanks for the report
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (12-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Getting high in Europe...