Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Expert advice needed: GT2/RS vs. GT3/RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 4.0 and recently drove my friend's CGT back to back on the street. The CGT is an awesome car, but totally unuseable on a daily basis. It is extremely stiff as a true monocoque and is best suited to ultra smooth roads. The GT2RS is a faster car, but you will rarely if ever have the opportunity to enjoy it. The engine in the 4.0 is the best Porsche motor I have ever driven, including those in several Porsche race cars. The engine is the reason the 4.0 will stand the test of time. While noisy in the cabin (pleasantly noisy) the ride is actually better than that of my mk1 gt3. Buy the 4.0. If you change yor mind, somebody will be ready to buy it. There will be better cars and there will be faster cars, but Porsche will have a tough time combining, raw power, tactile feel, driveability, and minimal techno/nanny BS like this in the future.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 AM
gtdoggie
Advanced

It is true. The engine on the 4.0 never ceases to amaze me every time I take it out. I have 2000 miles so far and actually seems to be getting better. My 3.8 RS I came from was great but the 4.0 engine never leaves me longing for more, completely satisfying.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurbine
+1
+3
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I say an orange or frog green 997.1 GT3RS. You want to stand out, and have a Porsche that doesn't blend in like all the others, it has to be an GT3RS. The GT2RS will look like all the other Turbos and GT3s to the untrained eye. Nobody will mistake either of the two I first mentioned. The latter model GT3RS with the contrasting exterior colors are very flamboyant as well. Since I own an orange GT3RS.1, I am a bit biased. The car is a complete Cheshire-cat-grin riot.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Last year I successfully bid on a gt2rs on ebay but the buyer wanted to back out (I think he wanted more money than his own buy it now price) and asked me not to neg him. After watching this exact video, I let the car go without fuss.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I say an orange or frog green 997.1 GT3RS. You want to stand out, and have a Porsche that doesn't blend in like all the others, it has to be an GT3RS. The GT2RS will look like all the other Turbos and GT3s to the untrained eye. Nobody will mistake either of the two I first mentioned. The latter model GT3RS with the contrasting exterior colors are very flamboyant as well. Since I own an orange GT3RS.1, I am a bit biased. The car is a complete Cheshire-cat-grin riot.
That's kind of funny. There I was thinking most GT3 variants look and sound like a Carrera with an cracked exhaust and big honking wing.

To the OP- just drive the things and choose. There will be one that you will end up preferring, there is no "right" or "wrong" choice.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m5trol
Last year I successfully bid on a gt2rs on ebay but the buyer wanted to back out (I think he wanted more money than his own buy it now price) and asked me not to neg him. After watching this exact video, I let the car go without fuss.
well, this is a bit short sighted I would say...I know a few people who would act exatly in the opposite way. Even some proffessionals would prefer the GT2RS..

Yes, the GT3RS is more linear, easier to drive..maybe more race car, but the GTRS is just in some respect a bit different. I have driven the GT2RS once shortly..and cannot imagine that there can be something better...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
well, this is a bit short sighted I would say...I know a few people who would act exatly in the opposite way. Even some proffessionals would prefer the GT2RS..

Yes, the GT3RS is more linear, easier to drive..maybe more race car, but the GTRS is just in some respect a bit different. I have driven the GT2RS once shortly..and cannot imagine that there can be something better...
The decision wasn't whether or not get the car, it was whether or not to make a fuss about it, including negative feedback on ebay. This video made the choice of not leaving the first negative feedback on this guy with otherwise 100% good feedback. Either way, I am happy with the 4.0.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
TurboS
Drifting

To the OP- just drive the things and choose. There will be one that you will end up preferring, there is no "right" or "wrong" choice.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, however, one is the more "Enlightened" choice.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
TurboS
Drifting

I have driven the GT2RS once shortly..and cannot imagine that there can be something better...[/QUOTE]

There will be once the next iteration is announced, but for now it is the best.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

do we get a drum roll?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

^ hard to say what will b the "it" car in 15 years. but this friend has cgt several gt2rs and 4.0rs. he has no plan to choose, but dies prefer the 4.0 the most. but that really doesn't matter. it's what the OP likes. I know a few guys love boosted 2 while others lol e 4.0. to each his own.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TurboS
I have driven the GT2RS once shortly..and cannot imagine that there can be something better...
There will be once the next iteration is announced, but for now it is the best.[/QUOTE]

Well, both 4.0L and GT2RS are probabably the most fascinating 997s ..if not the most fascinating 911 ever. Anyway, to be fully happy I would need to own both....which I partly do - but just in their basic versions..997 GT2 CS and 997 GT3 3.8..unfortuntely there isnt (for the moment) the cash left for an upgrade to GT2RS and GT3 4.0..

Whether future 911 GT generations will be more fascinating to drive..I doubt it..
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Fellow members, please guide me. I am a longtime 911 and 993 Turbo owner, including some of the best from DP Motorsports, Gemballa and RUF along the way. I have not owned a Porsche in the past eight years. I want to purchase either a GT2, GT2RS, GT3 or GT3RS. Here is the help that I'm after:

I will only use this car on the street, never to track. I won't push it nearly to its limits. I do want something that is very unique (see history above), doesn't have back seats or a sunroof, and feels more like a cocoon than the standard 997's. Price is not a consideration.

So, what is the best of these choices (model and year and even options) for simply a fantastic street Porsche that won't be too unruly to drive but will really stand apart?

Thank you very much for your insight.

Michael
Since you have owned Gemballas you may have a taste for the more outrageous Porsche Tuner looks ?

The Techart GT Street GT2RS seems to hit most of your criteria (particularly the price ) - I examined it at Frankfurt last year and like all Techart stuff it is OEM quality.

If/when you want to sell you can always remove the body kit and add ons and have a nice desirable GT2RS.

Quick Reply: Expert advice needed: GT2/RS vs. GT3/RS