Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WTB Trailex 8045 in the Southeast

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
If you are using a suv you will pretty much need a trailex enclosed, and they are very expensive and small. I want an enclosed for many reasons, but the biggest are more space for all my **** and the ability to leave said **** in trailer btwn events. I am soooo sick of loading/unloading all my gear every time I head out for an event - it gets so exhausting.

With trailex you will have barely most space than an open.
no matter what enclosed you get...trailex.

with a small suv you fell feel a semi suck you closer to it......when your load starts getting close to your tow vehicles weight....and you have a short wheelbase on your two vehicle you get in trouble

manufactures over state tow ratings, knowing most people will never tow a load and the few that do will tow their boat 20 miles a year.

I belive in 2013 all manufatcures have to rate tow ratings to a more stringent standard

Look at a 2011 to 2013 Toyota Landcruiser tow rating. It went down a bit. It says 8800 lbs now, but I wouldnt put more than 5k behind it

I had 7500ish behind lollipop f150, with sway control.....rear susepnsion swayed too much and there was no torque to move the load
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

small suv with tow package (X5, Touareg, etc): open alum trailer

half ton pick up and 1/2 ton suv (f150, 1500 silverado, expedition, yukon, etc): open alum, open steel, enclosed trailex

3/4 ton pick up, 3/4 ton suburban, 1 ton pick up: all of the above and regular enclosed trailer

period

any deviation downward is a compromise

I would try not to exceed 75% of stated manufacturer tow rating in any case.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks PJ.

I have done 8 or 9 events this yr. I have driven to every one of them. I take a small jack, big trq wrench, breaker bar, some hand tools, brake depressor, spare rotors/pads, folding chair, overnight bag. I get all that in the car. I have had fun taking just that stuff and had the ability to do minor repair if needed to. Point being, I don't need to take a whole lot more stuff than that to have most of the bases covered. If I go suv/open trailex I'll have a ton more space, a daily driver which I need bad, and a trailer that won't depreciate much.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Totally sound logic - you will love it - makes track experience much better and never have to worry about making it home barring something tragic

Buy the fl or the trailex - you can't get hurt on resale really and I would say even more so with the trailex since they are rarer and apparently more desireable

I drove a 2013 touareg diesel today - they are wonderful
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

what was sticker? I need to research them.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Thanks PJ.

I have done 8 or 9 events this yr. I have driven to every one of them. I take a small jack, big trq wrench, breaker bar, some hand tools, brake depressor, spare rotors/pads, folding chair, overnight bag. I get all that in the car. I have had fun taking just that stuff and had the ability to do minor repair if needed to. Point being, I don't need to take a whole lot more stuff than that to have most of the bases covered. If I go suv/open trailex I'll have a ton more space, a daily driver which I need bad, and a trailer that won't depreciate much.
I use to think that I was OK with out a trailer too, but once you get one, you start to wonder how you managed without one. I have left the track twice with a car that wasn't able to make it home, plus you save wear and tear on your Porsche.

As PJ said, Trailex or Featherlite are great trailers, I have Aluma, and it has been trouble free, and has held it's value very well.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Yes - aluma too
Any good quality alum open will sell secondhand
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the max size enclosed trailex one of the above SUV's will pull safely?
Lindsay, enclosed Trailex is a compromise. It's not a full blown enclosed with tons of space, but it'll carry your car plus some tools and wheels securely, discretely, and keep everything out of the elements. You should also be able to sell it for the price you paid when the time comes.

When we met at Road Atlanta last month, one of our guys had towed his 4.0 to and from RA from Toronto with his Touareg diesel and enclosed Trailex. I had my 26' Pace alu and Dodge 2500 diesel, and he seemed as comfortable going through the mountains as I. I was pretty impressed by that "little" suv. My cousin has the same setup and tells me that he can't feel the trailer back there. It'll do 80mph all day long. Pic below is on the way back.

Enclosed Trailex is 1000 lbs more than open, so you should end up with a total weight of between 5500 and 6000. I would not go higher on a truck or suv that is rated at 7500. You always want to keep some overhead.

You have a nice car, you should carry it inside something, not on something IMVHO.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

what was sticker? I need to research them.
Local Seattle dealer had 2012 lux plus touareg diesel blow out priced at 49.7 and equivalent 2013 at 55

Got a 2013 from a friendly dealer at $51.5 cash sale in same trim (lux plus with all weather mats and tow package etc)

My 70 year old mother loves her "little vw"
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I had my 26' Pace alu and Dodge 2500 diesel, and he seemed as comfortable going through the mountains as I. I was pretty impressed by that "little" suv. My cousin has the same setup and tells me that he can't feel the trailer back there. It'll do 80mph all day long. Pic below is on the way back.
Coming from a Touareg to a 2010 Dodge 3500, I can say that the Touareg had no problem pulling the weight, however the shorter wheel base made for some unsettled moments.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is Zero vision on the sideview mirrors with a Touareg/Q7/X5/Cayenne and an enclosed trailer, so wider mirrors are needed, and they are not made.

These small SUVs are fine for open trailers.

Only one trailer can be towed by these medium size SUV: BRE Aerovault. the Trailex CT80180 is too big for these SUV, and it will sway plenty. CT80180 requires a pick-up truck.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
small suv with tow package (X5, Touareg, etc): open alum trailer

half ton pick up and 1/2 ton suv (f150, 1500 silverado, expedition, yukon, etc): open alum, open steel, enclosed trailex

3/4 ton pick up, 3/4 ton suburban, 1 ton pick up: all of the above and regular enclosed trailer

period

any deviation downward is a compromise

I would try not to exceed 75% of stated manufacturer tow rating in any case.
+1,000,000

The compromise is safety, and confidence, it is horrible to tow with an incorrect setup. I towed a 22" steel enclosed trailer with the CTT for over 7,000 miles, and I won't do it again, it is dangerous.

The AeroVault is the only safe enclosed trailer for a medium size SUV, but wider mirrors or mirror extensions are needed.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
There is Zero vision on the sideview mirrors with a Touareg/Q7/X5/Cayenne and an enclosed trailer, so wider mirrors are needed, and they are not made.

These small SUVs are fine for open trailers.

Only one trailer can be towed by these medium size SUV: BRE Aerovault. the Trailex CT80180 is too big for these SUV, and it will sway plenty. CT80180 requires a pick-up truck.
I have towing mirrors for my Cayenne that fit right on the OEM outside rear view mirrors and are easily removed with no scratches. Allow me to have good rear visibility around my enclosed Trailex
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

We had a T-Reg for 6 years and loved it... If it was a bit larger and had the Jumpseat 3rd row we would've bought another over the X5...

The Diesel in the new one is fantastic.

As others have mentioned though the ONLY enclosed I'd pull with a smaller SUV would be the little Trailex one, and I'd want stabilizer bars on it..
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Local Seattle dealer had 2012 lux plus touareg diesel blow out priced at 49.7 and equivalent 2013 at 55

Got a 2013 from a friendly dealer at $51.5 cash sale in same trim (lux plus with all weather mats and tow package etc)

My 70 year old mother loves her "little vw"
2013 has revised turbo on motor.....wirth the extra

Quick Reply: WTB Trailex 8045 in the Southeast