Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Put a Braille Lithium Battery in Yesterday/ Rep Offered RL's a Deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Put a Braille Lithium Battery in Yesterday/ Rep Offered RL's a Deal

My lead battery was on its last leg, having been discharged fully about 20x. Since it was time to replace, started looking at options to pull some weight off. Factory lead battery is a beast. I think it's close to 50 pounds.

I had been monkeying around with a manufacturer in Florida who does lithium batteries, but he could never get the fit to where I was comfortable. for a track car.

Turns out Braille's facility is about 10 minutes from my house. Who knew? Flying Lizard uses them, so it should be good enough for me in the DE cup.

Decided on the 10 pounder (I48CE). Not the lightest one they offer, but it has mega capacity and fits right into the porsche tray with no modifications. Its more powerful than the factory lithium and 3 pounds lighter. Plus its serviceable. You could potentially use this battery for years and years, possibly taking it to your next porsche if they use the same tray.

All carbon fiber, DOT certified for this and that, etc etc... Fit and finish are very nice.

The car starts very quickly and everything is working perfectly. Naturally I weaseled a deal for RL's. Cause that's how I roll

$75 off on the battery I bought, plus a free trickle charger. I think the charger alone is like $100. I have the older porsche charger, but its not rated for lithium batteries. Not to mention if you use their charger you know it will be always maxed out and have no warranty issues if there is a claim.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy I got mine from.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
My lead battery was on its last leg, having been discharged fully about 20x. Since it was time to replace, started looking at options to pull some weight off. Factory lead battery is a beast. I think it's close to 50 pounds.

I had been monkeying around with a manufacturer in Florida who does lithium batteries, but he could never get the fit to where I was comfortable. for a track car.

Turns out Braille's facility is about 10 minutes from my house. Who knew? Flying Lizard uses them, so it should be good enough for me in the DE cup.

Decided on the 10 pounder (I48CE). Not the lightest one they offer, but it has mega capacity and fits right into the porsche tray with no modifications. Its more powerful than the factory lithium and 3 pounds lighter. Plus its serviceable. You could potentially use this battery for years and years, possibly taking it to your next porsche if they use the same tray.

All carbon fiber, DOT certified for this and that, etc etc... Fit and finish are very nice.

The car starts very quickly and everything is working perfectly. Naturally I weaseled a deal for RL's. Cause that's how I roll

$75 off on the battery I bought, plus a free trickle charger. I think the charger alone is like $100. I have the older porsche charger, but its not rated for lithium batteries. Not to mention if you use their charger you know it will be always maxed out and have no warranty issues if there is a claim.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy I got mine from.
I told you no more experiments

You can't use my boost box when ur car is dead Sunday am
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

No experiment. This is solid. Flying Lizard says so. I opted for high capacity version at 10 pounds versus the little 6 pounder just so that I could be sure not to get stuck. It started just fine this morning. Cranks 3x faster than my lead battery. Almost sounds weird how fast it cranks.

I'm just happy it doesn't drone.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How much?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on my friend, spill the beans, how much ?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please hook me up. No additional brackets required to hold it in place on factory tray? Any software reprogramming needed?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Price? And can u use factory tray?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Ill try to bring my light weight battery as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I really hope that their products and customer service have somewhat improved..
Due diligence suggests that you buy a pair of solid jump start cables.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Braille is a great company and one of our partners. They are trusted and showing up in almost every racing series there is. We are also local and can provide their batteries shipped directly to you.

Shoot us an email and we will gladly assist you

parts@suncoastparts.com
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
No experiment. This is solid. Flying Lizard says so. I opted for high capacity version at 10 pounds versus the little 6 pounder just so that I could be sure not to get stuck. It started just fine this morning. Cranks 3x faster than my lead battery. Almost sounds weird how fast it cranks.

I'm just happy it doesn't drone.
Good for you
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

will it work if you park it for 30 days, no trickle charger?
you know if my car fails to fire up, i usually just sell it. i can't deal with cars that dont start.
it is VERY frustrating.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interested

Jay
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
will it work if you park it for 30 days, no trickle charger?
you know if my car fails to fire up, i usually just sell it. i can't deal with cars that dont start.
it is VERY frustrating.
Huh, that's nothing...my wife wants to trade in her cars when they need new tires.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I told you no more experiments

You can't use my boost box when ur car is dead Sunday am
I've secretly been running a Lithium Pros unit for well over a year now.... includes leaving the car at home for 1-2 weeks at a time whie I drive something else, etc and so far absolutel no issues. Same battery was in the BMW for over a year as well, I'm impressed at how well these things work given their light weight. Now the small lead batteries like those made by Oddysey, we won't go there....

Quick Reply: Put a Braille Lithium Battery in Yesterday/ Rep Offered RL's a Deal