Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Put a Braille Lithium Battery in Yesterday/ Rep Offered RL's a Deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
This battery works flawlessly, I installed one in John's and another in Juan's car.

Fantastic !
Do you recall how much it was? Is it the G48-400Low? How does it mount to the tray?

TIA
Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM
exacc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...attery-car.htm

Here is a good resource about Li-ion batteries.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I used mine at Sebring for the first time yesterday. No problem all day. Cold starts, hot starts. Always worked. Left my data and 8" display running all day as well. Not that it's a terribly big draw, but it pulls from the OBD and cig lighter to power the unit and keep the big display running. Started right up each and every time.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Was talking to the Braille rep today. They are running a SEMA show special. If you're serious and want one, pm your email and I'll put you in touch with the rep.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm game. I ordered, they're building mine after SEMA, shipped and installed in my car very soon. Gary at Braille was very patient with all of my questions and such. So far, a very good experience.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any differences and/or preference versus voltphreaks?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

No idea. I do know that major racing teams (Flying Lizard, the Nissan experimental ***** Car, and a whole slew of others) are using their products.

There has to be a reason. They've got a lot of skin in the game and having a battery quit is not an option.

I've been really happy with mine so far. Cranks like a champ, hot or cold.

I did manage to discharge it once by leaving my data system and display running all night at the track. Shame on me... It would have killed a lead battery too as I've done it before. Jumped it and started within seconds. No issues the rest of the day or moving forward. So far its sat for a week, off the charger, and cranked right up. Haven't tested it longer than that as it seems like it has been non stop track time recently.

I will its weird how light they are. My battery looks just like the OEM (for fitment purposes) but is only 10 pounds. Feels weird when you pick it up as you're expecting 48 pounds.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
No idea. I do know that major racing teams (Flying Lizard, the Nissan experimental ***** Car, and a whole slew of others) are using their products.

There has to be a reason. They've got a lot of skin in the game and having a battery quit is not an option.

I've been really happy with mine so far. Cranks like a champ, hot or cold.

I did manage to discharge it once by leaving my data system and display running all night at the track. Shame on me... It would have killed a lead battery too as I've done it before. Jumped it and started within seconds. No issues the rest of the day or moving forward. So far its sat for a week, off the charger, and cranked right up. Haven't tested it longer than that as it seems like it has been non stop track time recently.

I will its weird how light they are. My battery looks just like the OEM (for fitment purposes) but is only 10 pounds. Feels weird when you pick it up as you're expecting 48 pounds.
Sold. How do I get in on this? Also do these need to be programmed like in E60 M5 once connected?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Drop in. No programming. Just like swapping your stock lead battery. Email me deputydog95 at gmail dot com

I'll put you in contact.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Eggcellant. They have a drop in fit for the 993 P-cars group 48 size. This is nice because some of the other (not naming names) require a bracket/cage (for 993) and are not DOT approved but Braille is. Pretty spend thrifty for a non-track maniac like me but if there is some benefit over lead acid if the battery gets drained while in storage I might be game - I don't have access to a power outlet for a battery tender and have to run the car once every two weeks generally if I can.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Very tempting.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I think they're still running the sema deal. Send me an email and I'll hook you up with the braille rep that is coordinating it.

The 10 pound battery should least 3 weeks if you don't have significant draw. Without a tender you'll be forced to start it every so often. Or, pop the hood and disconnect negative terminal. That's what I would do if the car was going to sit like that off tender.

Nice thing about these batteries is that they are completely serviceable so you could potentially use it from porsche to porsche for the next 20 years if they retain the same battery trays. If a cell goes bad, Braille can go in and replace the bad cell. And even if the tray does change at some point, just get a bracket. Battery for life
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Kudos to Andrew!

Thanks Andrew for putting me in touch w/ Gary!
The deal is done, & I feel faster already!
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Thanks Andrew for putting me in touch w/ Gary!
The deal is done, & I feel faster already!
Thanks!
+1

Deal not quite done yet, but working on it.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Enjoy your new batteries guys. Glad I could help. One of the cool things about this forum is the hookups from time to time. Easier to have a few hundred people shopping than trying to do it all yourself

Quick Reply: Put a Braille Lithium Battery in Yesterday/ Rep Offered RL's a Deal