Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 mule undisguised

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Noticeable extra bussel in the rear bumper cover. Maybe just cosmetics and packaging. No diffuser apparent.
Diffuser hiding under rear bumper camouflage. It's been visible in other spy shots.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks good to me.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks more and more like a Japanese kit added to me... I really don't like it. Of course it will drive, handle, etc. miles better but it's really not my cup of tea
Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Peter: Take a closer look @ the streering!

Flappy paddles...
Good catch! Liking the overall look, but there's something a bit off to me.

I think the aggressive front end and odd rear wing reminds me of a TechArt aftermarket look instead of an OEM look. I agree that the car doesn't look as neat as the 7.2 GT3. But it's quite appealing in its own respect.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mule cars are always interesting in that they have to test the cars in a real environment but without giving away the finished product. You gotta wonder with all the cameraman's time to take these pics and none of the interior? Steering wheel/paddles? Sounds more like a carefully planned photoshoot for Porsche if you ask me

Check out the circled areas though and clearly the finished product will have some surprises. Maybe a Porsche strip across the top of the rear bumper??
Attached Images      
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Check out the circled areas though and clearly the finished product will have some surprises. Maybe a Porsche strip across the top of the rear bumper??
I think there'll be a mesh vent across the rear bumper, similar to as on 997.2 GT3.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Looks more and more like a Japanese kit added to me... I really don't like it. Of course it will drive, handle, etc. miles better but it's really not my cup of tea
concur.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

how much did the wheelbase get stretched? can really see it in the side shot.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
The only thing I can admire (so far) is the front aero and the cars' black color.

Crickets for engine / gearbox / electric steering and their ties with anything raced further than rushing to a delayed meeting @ cars 'n coffee on a sunny Sunday.

PS. No comments on the CLs. We know , they know that we know and the rest of the world doesn't give a dime.

PS2. Same pics were posted in the other "speculation thread".
I did have a bit of a look around to see if this guy's photos were already here. Sorry 'bout that.

I wonder if the CL design is somewhat different in the 991. Surely. I mean heaven help them selling car #1 without resolving the centerlock questions.

Overall, I get the impression of this being a Carrera S Power Kit with Unique Aero. So far.

As for things like tires on test mules, it's neither here nor there. I guess we're stuck with those rather bland looking wheels, too. I quite like the new Carrera S wheel and I'm not sure how you can improve on the 997.2 GT3 and RS wheel other than make it lighter and strong. Given the rear suspension carrier, it will 19's and above. Guessing at that beefy front clamper, not all three-piece wheels will clear it even in 19's ... hmmm performance track tires in 20's ...
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Overall, I get the impression of this being a Carrera S Power Kit with Unique Aero. So far.
What would make you think otherwise? We know that it won't have (1) a further derivation of the Mezger (2) a NEW bespoke engine that is not based on the Mezger or 9A1. So does a 9A1 with different internals (lighter, stronger, etc.) and revised intake, exhaust, ecu, etc. make the cut?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Orange side markers, 20" CL wheels.....right on target. Where is the Sunroof?
They're not GIVING them away anymore;-)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

CL, castrated wing, flappy gearbox ... it's not a "real" GT3 I fall in love with for the past couple years. It will be interesting to see what the 991 GT3 Cup look like. I can guarantee it will not have a wimpy wing
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89
What would make you think otherwise? We know that it won't have (1) a further derivation of the Mezger (2) a NEW bespoke engine that is not based on the Mezger or 9A1. So does a 9A1 with different internals (lighter, stronger, etc.) and revised intake, exhaust, ecu, etc. make the cut?
Cough... dry sump, real dry sump
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
When it comes to Porsche and Porschephiles, I believe I am one of many falling into what classical romantics describe as unrequited love.

Pathetic, isn't it?

The "discontinuing" of the Mezger engine is a shot through the heart of 911 devotees of fifty years and an unmitigated, needless, senseless betrayal of generation upon generation of Porschephiles.

The electronic video game software of the 991 is the logical smart bullet striking two temples at once. It is entering the temple of the analog driver clinging to the steering wheel of a 911. It is simultaneously, the digital bullet severing any connection to the real world, at once destroying the physical brain and violating the temple of fanatical worship of a car with no substitute.

But now there is a substitute, delivered by the one, trusted hand, a pagan substitute, in the guise of the old, but without its substance, its virtue or its essence. A lifeless replication of form and function, bereft of its nature and devoid of its heritage.

Still, as I cling to the wheel of an air-cooled 911 and to a water-cooled 911, side by side in the same garage, I also cling to the optimism of a future 911. One that can withstand the slings and arrows of corrupt governments and sociopathic oil companies as they squander the treasures of our planet. We don't need an electric 911.

I have to add a "so far" to attenuate my angst because I just can't let go. Not until they "double tap" shoot me through the heart, and even as I fall to the ground, I'll be mouthing the words "I still trust you" as they finish me off with one through the forehead just to dispel any lingering hope on my part ...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

When it comes to Porsche and Porschephiles, I believe I am one of many falling into what classical romantics describe as unrequited love.

Pathetic, isn't it?

The "discontinuing" of the Mezger engine is a shot through the heart of 911 devotees of fifty years and an unmitigated, needless, senseless betrayal of generation upon generation of Porschephiles.

The electronic video game software of the 991 is the logical smart bullet striking two temples at once. It is entering the temple of the analog driver clinging to the steering wheel of a 911. It is simultaneously, the digital bullet severing any connection to the real world, at once destroying the physical brain and violating the temple of fanatical worship of a car with no substitute.

But now there is a substitute, delivered by the one, trusted hand, a pagan substitute, in the guise of the old, but without its substance, its virtue or its essence. A lifeless replication of form and function, bereft of its nature and devoid of its heritage.

Still, as I cling to the wheel of an air-cooled 911 and to a water-cooled 911, side by side in the same garage, I also cling to the optimism of a future 911. One that can withstand the slings and arrows of corrupt governments and sociopathic oil companies as they squander the treasures of our planet. We don't need an electric 911.

I have to add a "so far" to attenuate my angst because I just can't let go. Not until they "double tap" shoot me through the heart, and even as I fall to the ground, I'll be mouthing the words "I still trust you" as they finish me off with one through the forehead just to dispel any lingering hope on my part ...
Very well said. I agree about the dry sump comment above, as well. I too like the split crank-case "Mezger" engines - they were all that way before the 996! I think I'll keep my 993 for now.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 mule undisguised