aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

55 engine, but you get the drift

Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I'd fit slicks instead of spraying water...
Only problem is saw on track was that the RPM MPH and TEMP tach all moved to the right in sync..

ABC works, brakes work, only issue is grip.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

According to the article at Jalopnik: "Porsche says, the 918 Spyder set a 7:14 standing lap time (most are flying laps)"

http://jalopnik.com/5948328/this-is-...ium=socialflow
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

sounds like an AMG black series...
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The elephant in the living room is still there. Despite Chris trying to show his awe and appreciation (I'm sure the car is quite stunning up close), the shadow of the CGT looms, as well as the 500kg paperweight underneath the bonnet that apparently is for "social acceptance".

Why don't they talk about the CO2 footprint of those 500kg?

And sure it set an impressive laptime, but to me thats BS because a lot depends on what tire the car is on. I believe the CGT did a 7:2x on Ps2? I wonder how far apart they would be on the same tire.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a Carrera GT on Pirelli Trofeos would give that thing a run for its money, that's for sure.

But you have to look at this car from a different point of view I think. They are not trying to build "the fastest baddest most efficient" track-car ever made. It is a real-life laboratory for Porsche. How much we hate it, Porsche is not Pagani so they need to do something to be able to continue mass-producing sports cars in 10 years for now. You can put money on the fact that within 10 years a car manufacturer will simply not be able to homologate a car producing 300g of CO2 for road use, so just sticking a 600hp V10 engine in a race-tuned chassis won't cut it any more, and they are trying to anticipate that. First with their GT3 Hybrid race-car, now with this 918. And if they find enough people to pay a lot of cash to participate in the experiment, why not?

To put it simply, the point is not "can we make a car faster than the Carrera GT", but "can we make a car as fast as the Carrera GT but with a much lower fuel consumption and CO2 emission". And while most of us (including me) don't care if their GT3 consumes 12l/100km or 16l/100km on the public roads, the people that make the laws ( and those of you living in California are aware of this I think ) do care and they are pushing car manufacturers to do the same.

It's the same reason BMW is putting turbo's on their M cars. Even the high-performance market does not escape unfortunately, unless you go to a niche manufacturer.

Where I live the tax system for cars changes nearly every year, and every year they take on one of several existing taxes for cars ( registration tax, road tax, company car tax ... ) and change the current formula into something that takes CO2 into account, preferably using some exponential component where if a car with 200g CO2 has cost X, the car with 300g does not have 1.5 * X as cost but 4 * X. And this is not going to stop. Now imagine being the sucker with a 300g CO2 producing GT3. $$$ Now imagine throwing out the GT3 and getting the 918. Well, look at this, all calculations based on 70g CO2!

Welcome to the future. Like it or not this is where we are going. The only solution is to sell your car and get a horse. That will be a 1HP naturally aspirated means of transport now, and 20 years from now.

my 2 cents
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
a Carrera GT on Pirelli Trofeos would give that thing a run for its money, that's for sure.

But you have to look at this car from a different point of view I think. They are not trying to build "the fastest baddest most efficient" track-car ever made. It is a real-life laboratory for Porsche. How much we hate it, Porsche is not Pagani so they need to do something to be able to continue mass-producing sports cars in 10 years for now. You can put money on the fact that within 10 years a car manufacturer will simply not be able to homologate a car producing 300g of CO2 for road use, so just sticking a 600hp V10 engine in a race-tuned chassis won't cut it any more, and they are trying to anticipate that. First with their GT3 Hybrid race-car, now with this 918. And if they find enough people to pay a lot of cash to participate in the experiment, why not?

To put it simply, the point is not "can we make a car faster than the Carrera GT", but "can we make a car as fast as the Carrera GT but with a much lower fuel consumption and CO2 emission". And while most of us (including me) don't care if their GT3 consumes 12l/100km or 16l/100km on the public roads, the people that make the laws ( and those of you living in California are aware of this I think ) do care and they are pushing car manufacturers to do the same.

It's the same reason BMW is putting turbo's on their M cars. Even the high-performance market does not escape unfortunately, unless you go to a niche manufacturer.

Where I live the tax system for cars changes nearly every year, and every year they take on one of several existing taxes for cars ( registration tax, road tax, company car tax ... ) and change the current formula into something that takes CO2 into account, preferably using some exponential component where if a car with 200g CO2 has cost X, the car with 300g does not have 1.5 * X as cost but 4 * X. And this is not going to stop. Now imagine being the sucker with a 300g CO2 producing GT3. $$$ Now imagine throwing out the GT3 and getting the 918. Well, look at this, all calculations based on 70g CO2!

Welcome to the future. Like it or not this is where we are going. The only solution is to sell your car and get a horse. That will be a 1HP naturally aspirated means of transport now, and 20 years from now.

my 2 cents
I think its a fair assessment of Porsche's mindset, although I disagree with the premise entirely. The tax structure sucks and I guess thats driving things somewhat but the future is pretty bleak IMO if we're looking at heavy, hybrid sports cars going forward solely for the purpose of massaging CO2 numbers. I repeat, factor in the CO2/pollution of producing the batteries and lets see how it looks. Or the 300-400 million Chinese who will be buying cars over the next 30 years, and exactly how feasible is it to equip every car on Earth with batteries. Its not. The cost and environmental impact would be extraordinary.

You know, if you combine all the Corvettes, Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, Astons etc mileage over their entire lifetimes... how much CO2 do sports cars produce? Really not enough, there aren't enough of them, and thats cause they cost an arm and a leg and are usually 2nd or 3rd cars.

Sorry, will stop ranting, but its just irritating. Friend of mine went out and bought a nice CGT as soon as he heard about the weight of the 918... smart buy methinks.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a car that dates the cgt looks wise. Its significantly uglier IMO. CGT looks way better. Even today.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
I think its a fair assessment of Porsche's mindset, although I disagree with the premise entirely. The tax structure sucks and I guess thats driving things somewhat but the future is pretty bleak IMO if we're looking at heavy, hybrid sports cars going forward solely for the purpose of massaging CO2 numbers. I repeat, factor in the CO2/pollution of producing the batteries and lets see how it looks. Or the 300-400 million Chinese who will be buying cars over the next 30 years, and exactly how feasible is it to equip every car on Earth with batteries. Its not. The cost and environmental impact would be extraordinary.

You know, if you combine all the Corvettes, Porsche's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, Astons etc mileage over their entire lifetimes... how much CO2 do sports cars produce? Really not enough, there aren't enough of them, and thats cause they cost an arm and a leg and are usually 2nd or 3rd cars.

Sorry, will stop ranting, but its just irritating. Friend of mine went out and bought a nice CGT as soon as he heard about the weight of the 918... smart buy methinks.
Try convincing our governments ....

Quick Reply: 918 - Nurburgring - 7:14