Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for comparison sake, here is a link to my fastest lap of Winterfest 2:21.7

After reading the linked notes of "tenths" I'd say this is a 6/10ths lap. No sliding, No exit curbs used, very repeatable.

What do you think?

https://vimeo.com/57728260
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
+1 Peter= Butter
Trakcar got some coaching since I first met him in June 2012. He took me out on multiple laps of Sebring.

I must say at Winterfest, you've gotten much smoother and more precise from a very high skill base already! Great job!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I never even looked at the manual yet. So simple start car, drive, take out the sd card when you come in. Done.
U didn't hsve to read the Manuel

U just annoy me with questions
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley

After reading the linked notes of "tenths" I'd say this is a 6/10ths lap. No sliding, No exit curbs used, very repeatable.

What do you think?

That was very smooth, but I think no curbs means you can go fater if you add using all the curbs..
Maybe you underdriving a set of fresh good tires?

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Trakcar got some coaching since I first met him in June 2012. He took me out on multiple laps of Sebring.

I must say at Winterfest, you've gotten much smoother and more precise from a very high skill base already! Great job!
Stephen!! How's your baby girl? How are papa and mama doing? Boy you cut it close! Leave Sebring on Sunday night be a dad by Wednesday pfew!

When you mentioned I was smoother than last summer at the track last week I did not have an answer, but I gave it some thought.
I did have Nigel Greensall for a day in December, but we did not work on smoother, if anything opposite. I think the difference was getting in Trakcar 3.1 on the tires I'm used to in a car that's better setup than 4.0 and taking it a little easier then in Trakcar 3.0 when we ran on Micheling Supersports last summer trying to find out what they'd take.

BTW the Michelins are extremely impressive for what they are, but I think 2-3 seconds slower overall. That's amazing concidering they've been on my wife BMW for 15K miles now and dont show much wear!

Originally Posted by Izzone
Come on, I did not bother you once last weekend and I only asked you maybe a handful of questions the weekend prior!

I have to thank Grady for setting up the data on screen and peter Krause for putting all the tracks in and pre-configure the system for my car. orbit did a great job of installing it.

I'm about to break out the manual to figure out how to set up my daily commute as a track with start finish coordinates for best timed commute..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Great article. I didn't assimilate it in one reading. This one paragraph on the importance of looking ahead was amazing:

As a student of Brian Redman, he would use his personal experience to help us remember what was important. For vision, he used picking up crowd behavior to warn him of hazards ahead. At Spa one year, he caught out of the corner of his eye (this at 160 mph in a 917!) umbrellas being raised in a grandstand some way around a slower corner coming up ahead. This alerted him of the precipitation ahead and saved him, his car and possibly serious injury.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

What do you think?

That's faster than 6/10's. Nice lap. I have to get me one of those 3.6's.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you think?

If that is 6/10's, I would like to see 10/10ths as reference. Nice driving.

Originally Posted by Izzone

Ha! I love angry early morning Randy. Almost as much fun as late night drunk Randy.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Brinkley
Pro

Trakcar "That was very smooth, but I think no curbs means you can go fater if you add using all the curbs..
Maybe you underdriving a set of fresh good tires?"

Peter,
I agree 1000% that I can go faster if I used exit curbs and I agree that I am underdriving a set of fresh tires. That is what gives me great pleasure in thinking...can I do a 19.9? This lap was easy and no fuss.

Mark,
I was using the "tenths" description from the article from the link and its says that if there isn't much sliding and you aren't using the curbing then you are probably driving 6/10th. I wouldn't have described that lap as 6/10ths before I read the article but now that I have and then watch the video I have to agree. There isn't much drama there.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Trakcar "That was very smooth, but I think no curbs means you can go fater if you add using all the curbs..
Maybe you underdriving a set of fresh good tires?"

Peter,
I agree 1000% that I can go faster if I used exit curbs and I agree that I am underdriving a set of fresh tires. That is what gives me great pleasure in thinking...can I do a 19.9? This lap was easy and no fuss.

Mark,
I was using the "tenths" description from the article from the link and its says that if there isn't much sliding and you aren't using the curbing then you are probably driving 6/10th. I wouldn't have described that lap as 6/10ths before I read the article but now that I have and then watch the video I have to agree. There isn't much drama there.
Man, you got some serious jam in the Boxster!

What has been the best lap time from a Boxster at Sebring? Anybody know?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What do you think?

You make it look calm and easy! Are you shifting well before red line?....rpm's seem low except right before going into T17...going by sound.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Mike,

Thanks.

I wouldn't say I'm shifting "way" before red line. I usually shift at 7,000 but on the back straight I stay if 4th instead of shifting up to 5th for a few seconds. That means I have to hold it right to 7,200 for a few seconds and that is why it sounds different.

I used the data to determine if the up-shift to 5th made sense via increased top speed and reduced lap time in that last section. It clearly did not do either. In-fact the depression of the clutch to shift to 5th reduced overall top speed by 2-3mph.

Some have noticed that I max out on the back stretch in 4th gear and on the front straight I don't get out of 4th gear. After discussing this with my mechanic and Javier the tire guy at Bob Woodman, we came to the conclusion that my rear tire circumference/outer diameter might be too tall for the gears in the stock transmission. I am going to move to a rear circumference/outer diameter Yoko Slick that will match factor OEM specs (smaller circ/diam). We think this will allow the motor and trans to spin up much quicker. This will hopefully help pull me out of corners faster and get me down the long straights quicker.

It is this change along with seeing how "easy" this lap was that I hope will combine to put me below 2:20 the next time out.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chad I don't get out of 4th on front but do go into 5th on back for probably 5-6 seconds before going back to 4th. FWIW. I can get above 80 mph min through 1. You have me stoked to go for 85 like you do. I think I'm 3-4 mph away from that level. Most of the other turns I'm pretty close to your times.

I'm usually above 40 through 7 but then I bog down with no LSD. That will change at next event as Boxilla is getting an LSD and a light weight flywheel. Now I just need a 3.6 and a bit more skill. :-))
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Video of my favorite session @ Winterfest 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpT5L...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Car should be in the teens for sure, Chad.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are 2 videos of a 3.8RS on R6 Hooiser's following a 4.0 on Toyo's. Both cars have free exhuast and stock ECU. 4.0 has hudge power and we had a great time!

Quick Reply: Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013