Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 767 Posts

PDK offers significant advantage even when you are sideways every other corner
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Drivetrain wear is subjective on driver, climate and hours.....the gear boxes in these cars get hot after 30 minutes or so and bind up. Some of the clutches that blow are from bad shifting / mis shifts.....maybe its a good the clutch lets go. A car ran at Sebring in the summer will have very different wear than a transmission ran in a cooler climate

A motor free of overrevs should be fine......there have been a lot of 3.8RS motors that have went boom. It happens at the beginning of its track life

I wish Giesha would have a warranty engine boom.....she is well north of 100 documented hours at DE's on the engine. Current clutch and transmission (changed under warranty for 1st gear pop out) have 55-60 hours. Trans oil is changed every 4 events with barley any residue on the magnetic plug

I still stand my gound street miles on these engines is nothing. race ("DE") hours are all that matters.....that means the hours the car sees over 6-8k rpm. Anything below that doesnt count toward major wear

Making a statement that person "x" has "y" miles and no problems is not good data for comparison if track time is not documented.
Amen, well said.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Aero beetles break way too often, cayman/boxster even worse.

Reliable track cars? Anything light with an auto box or a dct, and lots of cooling, no one makes a car like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

My beetle dont break on the track. OK, maybe PP and clutch $2500. Once under warranty.
The rest is just from puttering around town.

Did you get the Fiat running yet?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issue with my .1 gt3 and the dark knight has been flawless besides weak PP and clutch that porsche put in from the start
Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My beetle dont break on the track. OK, maybe PP and clutch $2500. Once under warranty.
The rest is just from puttering around town.

Did you get the Fiat running yet?
The only failures the Fiat has had are:

- e-diff solenoid and F1 valve. They sit next to each other, they burned due to my missing insulation on the test pipes, Capristo shipped then over a year later. My fault for running without insulation. Eddie, Orbit and I made it even better.
- Cooked brakes. Expected once you drive in the DE Platinum Cup, not a problem for most DE Cup drivers, as they run Gold, Coffee or Moving Chicane Cup.
- The recent tranny problem. It was not clutch, after 13,000 miles the clutch is just 42% used up with 58% life left, after more drag racing starts than all RL Aero Beetles combines, plus faster shifting, plus more track and autoX. Problem was the TCU, we reflashed the TCU troubleshooting a problem with the gearbox as soon as the ECU upgrade was installed, and TCU lost its programming. My fault once again.

Do you need a reminder of all the broken parts and failures on the Aero Beetles, other than departing wheels, oil leaks, coolant leaks (these three deadly conditions), seized engines, clutches, cracking exhaust components, failing cam actuators, loose clamps, CEL, broken LCA, broken sway bar mounts, bend drop links, dead newborn diffs, broken axles, and the remaining multitude of malign quality issues on the Aero Beetles? If you do ask the entire DE Cup gang, they have the list and price paid to fix the illness.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
No issue with my .1 gt3 and the dark knight has been flawless besides weak PP and clutch that porsche put in from the start
You need to drive out of the Coffee Cup, well into Platinum Cup to check reliability. In slow motion, even a Kia is super reliable.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Happily in gold cup unless you've changed all the times at every track within the last week

But I forgot the absinthe has done something to your memory over the last few years
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Happily in gold cup unless you've changed all the times at every track within the last week

But I forgot the absinthe has done something to your memory over the last few years
problems are on the 997.2 RS's, not standard 997.2 GT3's.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The only failures the Fiat has had are:

- e-diff solenoid and F1 valve. They sit next to each other, they burned due to my missing insulation on the test pipes, Capristo shipped then over a year later. My fault for running without insulation. Eddie, Orbit and I made it even better.
- Cooked brakes. Expected once you drive in the DE Platinum Cup, not a problem for most DE Cup drivers, as they run Gold, Coffee or Moving Chicane Cup.
- The recent tranny problem. It was not clutch, after 13,000 miles the clutch is just 42% used up with 58% life left, after more drag racing starts than all RL Aero Beetles combines, plus faster shifting, plus more track and autoX. Problem was the TCU, we reflashed the TCU troubleshooting a problem with the gearbox as soon as the ECU upgrade was installed, and TCU lost its programming. My fault once again.

Do you need a reminder of all the broken parts and failures on the Aero Beetles, other than departing wheels, oil leaks, coolant leaks (these three deadly conditions), seized engines, clutches, cracking exhaust components, failing cam actuators, loose clamps, CEL, broken LCA, broken sway bar mounts, bend drop links, dead newborn diffs, broken axles, and the remaining multitude of malign quality issues on the Aero Beetles? If you do ask the entire DE Cup gang, they have the list and price paid to fix the illness.

I really hope and look forward to you running all session hard all the time and not break the Fiat one of these Sebring events for a change.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Too bad there's no Fiat DE Cup gang to compare....
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Ferraris only go out for parade laps at lunchtime and then tell people they've been on the track in their car
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Ferraris only go out for parade laps at lunchtime and then tell people they've been on the track in their car
Knock on wood, no problems with the car. But, as memory has it, Mr. Soul Glo aka Fiat Humperdinck hasn't had a clean lap weekend....
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Knock on wood, no problems with the car. But, as memory has it, Mr. Soul Glo aka Fiat Humperdinck hasn't had a clean lap weekend....
He'sssss back Make sure he's had his shots before you shake hands with da Greek

Peter

Quick Reply: Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013