Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Really....sure it is fun, but people will just overdrive more than they alredy are for a hero lap. NASA does this in HPDE4 and it is a mess in my opinion

Thank goodness for David Murray before 48 hours....think ill enjoy that more
Maybe DE Cup, but IMO pack driving causes more overdriving and red mist than Time Trials does. Especially when trying to set flying laps on ragedy behind NT-01's with a 450-500 hp car.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Really....sure it is fun, but people will just overdrive more than they alredy are for a hero lap. NASA does this in HPDE4 and it is a mess in my opinion

IMO, the people who are inclined to over-drive will still do so, since they are looking at their data acquisition lap time read out everyy time they go by start/finish...
Unfortunately lap time is only a small indication of success

Without looking at seems, velocity / time ect of the track you may think a certain corner is where you candle up time and its actually your fastest segment

I learned this the hard way a year ago

Lap timers are somewhat dangerous without data behind it being used correct

Have fun with tt, I'm out
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wanna911

Maybe DE Cup, but IMO pack driving causes more overdriving and red mist than Time Trials does. Especially when trying to set flying laps on ragedy behind NT-01's with a 450-500 hp car.
All tires can be driven within the slip angle safely....no matter the hp

Some choose not to
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Some choose not to

Slip angle bigger and slower on 1/2 street tires. Less time to recover for next turn leads to more sloppiness, especially when patience is low due to driving in pack.

Much less likely to overdrive red mist on your own in a Time Trial vs pack driving. Plus you learn how to manage the aggression.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slip angle bigger and slower on 1/2 street tires. Less time to recover for next turn leads to more sloppiness, especially when patience is low due to driving in pack.

Much less likely to overdrive red mist on your own in a Time Trial vs pack driving. Plus you learn how to manage the aggression.
I have to agree ... specially driving bumper to bumper with a lot less skilled drivers.
That's just a inch for disaster.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,606 Likes on 835 Posts

Unfortunately lap time is only a small indication of success

Without looking at seems, velocity / time ect of the track you may think a certain corner is where you candle up time and its actually your fastest segment

I learned this the hard way a year ago

Lap timers are somewhat dangerous without data behind it being used correct

Have fun with tt, I'm out
I don't disagree...that was my point entirely.

The people who hot-dog it will hot dog it no matter the format: TT or normal SuperSolo (or Chin Advanced Solo Red) open passing.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

Yes, the TT will be a component of SuperSolo at WinterFestt. At this time, I am not sure about any prizes and/or contiingencies.
Both my street insurance and track insurance forbit timing.
For street insurance I can rip out Vbox, for track insurance it is allowed, but no as a "timed event"

I guess I am in solo. Too bad, SS worked well while it lasted.

+1 I'll come hang out at Winterfest and drive in solo with point by everywhere like at Chin. Too bad we will be held up with typically much slower cars in solo VS SuperSolo. SuperSolo is becoming like TT, mostly race cars trying to get DE people to go racing. I'm out.

IMO, the people who are inclined to over-drive will still do so, since they are looking at their data acquisition lap time read out everyy time they go by start/finish...
Yes, but it is not a timed event. Those of us that paid big $$ for track insurance just got screwed out of SuperSolo. Winterfest will probably be my only PBOC event of the year driving Solo and hang out for the fun factor of a 4 day event but this is not the solotion for dwindeling numbers. Go look at your registration, most registered drivers are in SuperSolo, I wonder how many will cancel VS how many new people will want to drive TT NASA style.

I have not seen many SS drivers go to TT Nasa the last 4 years..
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just drive super solo without the TT device ... to drive in Solo, just better watch from the stands, should be more entertaining
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You guys have it all wrong. You have to purposely sign up for--and acquire an AMB transponder for--the TT. SuperSolo is NOT a timed event.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

Maybe so, but I dont want to find out from my lawyer if you are right or wrong.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Some choose not to

So how do spec classes that run toyo r888 do it. They don't drift around the track

Every tire has a slip angle, you can safely drive at any of them
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe so, but I dont want to find out from my lawyer if you are right or wrong.
Well, why don't you ask him first instead of just giving up oon something you enjoy?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 AM
wanna911
Race Car

So how do spec classes that run toyo r888 do it. They don't drift around the track

Every tire has a slip angle, you can safely drive at any of them
I don't see any 450 hp spec classes. Classes that run on R888's are miata's and spec 944's or something with 200 hp. And this is not about ability to stay in slip angle, it's likelyhood. Unlikely in bumper to bumper pack driving.

Even still a guy who's never been racing before will miss apex after apex overdriving to stay in front as we've seen from DE Cup.

In TT if you blow a couple of turns, you know the lap is screwed already and will likely back off. In racing you know that is not helping you stay ahead so you fix it (or get passed). Racers are experienced driving in packs properly. DE cup has varying levels of skill many of which driving out of their skill set determined to stay in front.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My insurance states I can not drive in a timed event. I checked and if the organizer is timing the event you are driving in on the track, its now a timed event. A DE is not a timed event because the organizer is not timing any of the run groups i would be driving in. So if PBOC is timing Super Solo then that is a timed event...I'm out. Why did they ruin Super Solo?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

they are not timing SuperSolo, Mike. they are timing the TT.

Quick Reply: Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013