Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012 | 03:01 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rokket
If anyone has some constructive ideas or suggestions, let me know...

Cheers!

Der Rokket
Some tips:

1.- TT needs to run in their unique session, not shared with any DE, Solo or Super Solo session. This eliminates the insurance concern. However, if an insurance company determines that the event is timed because a session was timed (as TT is timed), the insurance concern is no longer an issue with PBOC, because PBOC holds Club Races and they are timed as well.

Separated TT and SuperSolo sessions allow the drivers in these groups to stay focused on their goals for each group. No ruining of flyer laps for slow TT cars, no frustration on DE cars being held by slow TT cars on a flyer.

2.- Make Time Trials sessions of 15 minutes maximum, even 10 minutes on short tracks. Stage the car from fastest to slowest time. This will add 1 hour to the day schedule if 4 TT sessions are included, so send cars 30 minutes earlier than usual and finish the event 1/2 hour later.

3.- For classes, keep the number of classes low. Start with 3 or 4 classes, and grow them if the demand is there. Use weight/power ratio of 5.99 or better, 6-7.99, 8-9.99, and 10+. This would cover the majority of cars running with PBOC.

4.- Keep the TT rules simple, use weight/power ratio, rather than points for each type of modification (administration nightmare).

5.- I like the idea of eliminating A6 and slicks from TT. A6 are one lap wonder, then they fade and become inconsistent, I have been running A6 since 2006 year after year, I know the tires quite well, they are great to go out for 2 laps and park the car to hold the Top Time in class and claim prizes and contingencies. Allow R6, R1 (not the R1S), the Toyo RR, Kumho v710, Pirelli Trofeo R, Eagle RS (not the RS-A). Forbid slicks, and the 4 autoX tires (Hankook, A6, R1S, RS-A).

6.- Allow people to register for Solo + TT, or SuperSolo + TT for an additional fee. DE is fun, TT is fun, but each one has a different type of fun. Sort of a double registration for a single car/driver, helps revenues.

There are not enough Time Trial events in Florida, only the agenda of NASA-FL TT, and NARRA if we are lucky.

Some transparency on the requisites to run in SuperSolo will help increase SuperSolo participation, we are experienced enough to police each other and make judgment calls when a SuperSolo member driving is not on par with the philosophy of SS.

TT would bring a new group of drivers not currently running PBOC. Hoosier, Toyo, GoodYear, BFGoodrich are in a track-day tire war right now, so they are open to sponsorship and contingencies. Free tires bring people to the events.

I hope the PBOC TT program takes off and succeeds.
Old 11-09-2012 | 09:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ That would work, hopefully it won't cost run time of other groups, but TT are mostly one lap wonders so 10-15 minutes should be fine for the TT guys.
Old 11-09-2012 | 10:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Great post and ideas Rad!
Old 11-09-2012 | 10:59 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I doubt TT people are going to pay more so they can warm up. That's obsurd. I wouldn't do that. Now people are paying the same amount for half the track time. The idea here is to be inviting for people to join. Like Rad said, people do it for different reasons and 1hr of track time won't do it for many TT people. Mostly winners do 2 laps when contingency is involved. You have minimum requirements of car counts for that. Most times it's 5 in class, not going to be an easy feat for a new TT. And some people can't even get up to speed in 2 laps, especially when you remove the tires that are the best for it. Counterproductive.

More transparency on SS is not going to increase car counts. People aren't skipping the event because they had to run Solo instead of SS. So all you end up with is more people from Solo/Instructor in the SS group.

Like I said, if they are going to half step it, they may end up with more headache than increased car counts. Time Trial as a side show is not going to be inviting to most people, and paying more money isn't either. I would not do Time Trials with 1 hr of track time unless I was certain there would be car counts for a contingency. Everyone does not come with the expectation of winning, but far more people come with the expectation of decent track time, time trial or not.

That being said, I will attend the events anyways because SS is the next best thing to TT.
Old 11-09-2012 | 09:49 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

I just want to drive the track and hang out. Is it january yet.....
Old 11-09-2012 | 10:47 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

I am with you Stujelly! Can wait to have 4 days at track time.
Old 11-10-2012 | 10:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by stujelly
I just want to drive the track and hang out. Is it january yet.....
I do too but I don't want to be on the track with TT cars as much as they probably don't want to be on the track with DE cars.
Old 11-10-2012 | 11:57 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I do too but I don't want to be on the track with TT cars as much as they probably don't want to be on the track with DE cars.
I do both and you are spot on.

Peter
Old 11-10-2012 | 03:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I agree as well however I couldnt think of a better group to TT with. In some cases it must be done. PBOC has to decide if its worth it. Sounds like some dates may fall off the schedule if they don't add some entrants quick.
Old 11-10-2012 | 03:18 PM
jenk12m
Banned

the one and only time ive run with the TT group it was a nightmare at mid ohio with NASA.
Old 11-10-2012 | 08:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Mike, didn't you run the NARRA event at Road Atlanta this year? I thought for sure I remember you being at that event. I can remember trying to slow down and get some space to get a clean lap and a pack of you guys running up on me.
Old 11-11-2012 | 01:52 AM
jenk12m
Banned

I remember that but can't remember which group it was with
Old 11-12-2012 | 10:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

"Based on feedback from the Super Solo (tm) drivers, we will be moving the time trials out of Super Solo (tm). Stay tuned for more details."
Old 11-12-2012 | 10:38 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

good stuff !
Old 11-12-2012 | 02:52 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
"Based on feedback from the Super Solo (tm) drivers, we will be moving the time trials out of Super Solo (tm). Stay tuned for more details."
This event sounds like the greatest HPDE show on earth and now that TT is a part of it I need someone to sell me a sorted GT3 that's ready to go.

ANYONE

If thought the FD had a better than 50 50 chance of surviving the weekend I'd just come down and drive that but I'm happy if it makes it two days.

PS I'm half serious so if there's a killer deal on a .2 RS or a good deal (preferred) on a 996 GT3 please let me know.

Quick Reply: Winterfest PBOC Sebring 2013