Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race Shops: Weigh in on CL Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing your first hand insight Bruce. I look at it this way, if my 4 yo son says "wow, that is really hard" then something is wrong. GT3 is suppose to be a race car that escape the track for street and the street CL is not a race inspire design. Slow, cumbersome and there are more cautions and disclaimers than going on a date with Lindsay Lohan. Watching people taking off and putting on CL wheels on the track is more painful than getting a root canal. There is nothing wrong with 5 lugs. It's a proven technology that worked well for the past 90 years.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I laugh internally and strongly everytime I see CL-Lover boys strugling with fancy tools changing wheels.

Long ago i tried to put up a challenge to anyone with cl wheels to beat me changing 4 wheels on a gt3, myself dealing with 5 lugs, my competitor dealing with the amazing-flawless-CL-blind-i-followed-the-instructions-suddenly-failed-no-love-anymore system. Nobody took on the challenge, no Eddie, no Izzone, no Trakcar, not any CL-Blind hero, zap,zero; and this was just about time spent changing wheels, not about the risk of losing wheels while speeding.

As usual, the CL boys are right and I'm not, they know better, so be it, but I'm keeping a tab on known victims, and while CL GT3 are not made anymore (constant), victim numbers keep increasing (variable), do your math.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I laugh internally and strongly everytime I see CL-Lover boys strugling with fancy tools changing wheels.

Long ago i tried to put up a challenge to anyone with cl wheels to beat me changing 4 wheels on a gt3, myself dealing with 5 lugs, my competitor dealing with the amazing-flawless-CL-blind-i-followed-the-instructions-suddenly-failed-no-love-anymore system. Nobody took on the challenge, no Eddie, no Izzone, no Trakcar, not any CL-Blind hero, zap,zero; and this was just about time spent changing wheels, not about the risk of losing wheels while speeding.

As usual, the CL boys are right and I'm not, they know better, so be it, but I'm keeping a tab on known victims, and while CL GT3 are not made anymore (constant), victim numbers keep increasing (variable), do your math.
Rad I think you're not just beating on a dead horse at this point. You're literally RAPING it.

Sir, please step away from the animal...
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not happy at all knowing my track pals are at risk, while I do nothing. It is not about responsibility, it is about loyalty, it is about friendship. Rape the dead equino, so be it, to this day i haven't seen corrective actions by the loved german brand, and such fact despise my long gone respect for the brand.

...not stepping away from the equino, as long as my dear ones are at risk...
Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

The situation does seem a bit ridiculous. How many similar failures have happened on 5-lugs? I haven't heard of any.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
The situation does seem a bit ridiculous. How many similar failures have happened on 5-lugs? I haven't heard of any.
The only failures I know of are of ppl that forgot to tighten wheel bolts.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

isnt it ironic that the CL system takes MORE time than a conventional 5lug set up??
somebody cue up ALANIS MORISSETTE .
Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
isnt it ironic that the CL system take MORE time than a conventional 5lug set up??
So what is Porsche's marketing angle on this then?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

R there any known CL failures when used 90 percent on the road. Don't get why Porsche hasn't stepped up to do something about this.seriously how much can it cost them
Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Im beginning to think its way to drive biz to P dealer service depts. You cant take this into NTB or DIscount tire. CL customers are fairly captive.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Let me think..

Got it! They had AP on video saying that, and adding that they are lighter too. Both complete and utter lies.
They can be very persuasive these marketing "tools".
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

[QUOTE=NJ-GT;9769124]I'm not happy at all knowing my track pals are at risk, while I do nothing. QUOTE]

Ill go 5 lug when you install fire supression and wear full nomex in your Fiat
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Let me think..

Got it! They had AP on video saying that, and adding that they are lighter too. Both complete and utter lies.
They can be very persuasive these marketing "tools".
They could have tried getting lighter OEM wheels instead, would have been a lot easier.

5 lug conversion FTW
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i see club racer`s RS cars very often at shop i use - out of may be 7 of them only one has cup car CL, all the rest are converted to 5 studs. nobody uses lugs/bolts.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Now....what was interesting and ironic to us, was while in the midst of this investigation of the issue and solutions, Porsche all of a sudden made a change in the Cup Car CL design. We have, and had, other Porsche Cup Cars that we support. There is both the 997.1 version, and the 997.2 version. The change that occurred right at the end of June 2012, was a change to the 997.2 Cup Car hub. The new design is about 3 times as heavy, is much thicker....in every way a much more robust item. This is the version we have installed on 997.2 street cars w CL and now we even converted some of our 997.2 Cup Cars to this design. We are not provided info from Porsche as to why this design change was implemented. But, they recalled all the old versions. Odd timing to us, but nonetheless, seems to have significance in that the hub design needs to be very robust.
Same as they did with the pressure plate and clutch. The part numbers disapeared of the shelf and they fix the cars as they break with 4.0 part numbers under warranty or goodwill. Mine twice and about to do it a third time on my new car. Many RS have had this fix. Most all RS that are tracked I know of anyway.

Question, does the new CUP hub fit on the RS? Does it change geometry? What else?

Quick Reply: Race Shops: Weigh in on CL Reliability?