Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

195 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

TDM once again schooling us on the proper break-in procedures for a Mezger lump.

So did we answer the 60 Plate question?
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NTY
2) Tyre diameter is variable. Thread depth, pressure, heat and speed will have an effect on tire diameter. Tire will be taller at 300km/h than 100km/h and hence giving a bigger diameter. And so in theory, the error at 300km/h will be lower than 100kmh. Diameter on same tire size between different tire makers is also different.
Actually tire diameter with modern radials grows very little by design and construction. A bigger effect, however, is tire longitudinal slip- it is a real issue for very powerful cars nearing Vmax. Due to the torque being transfered to the road tread blocks deform and tires slip slightly relative to the road just as they do in cornering, resulting in slightly lower max speed than the gearing and math would otherwise predict. FYI...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
GT3 RS 4.0L roadtest. Look at the test data:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...0acf3a2427.pdf

Yes 8500 in 6th = 193 mph. In the article they even talk about seeing 200 mph on the speedo while it is gear limited to 193.

193 MPH at 8500 RPM implies a tire diameter of 26.13 inches, which is closer to the diameter of the non-RS GT3. Yet TireRack's website lists an MPSC diameter of 26.7 inches, right in line with its 325/30/19 specs. Something doesn't add up with R&T's numbers.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking the OP got grounded by his parents.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
So did we answer the 60 Plate question?
Ensuing on the GB license/registration/number plate system (ex wiki), bolded section is germane to what is a "60 plate":

The current system for Great Britain was introduced on 1 September 2001. Each registration index consists of seven characters with a defined format.

From left to right, the characters consist of:

A local memory tag or area code, consisting of two letters which together indicate the local registration office. The letters I, Q and Z are not used as local office identifiers; Z can be used only as a random letter.

The first of these two letters is a mnemonic standing for the name of the broad area where the registration office is located. This is intended to make the registration more memorable than an arbitrary code.[5][6] For example, A is used as the first character in all registrations issued by the three offices located in the vicinity of East Anglia;

A two-digit age identifier, which changes twice a year, in March and September. The code is either the last two digits of the year itself if issued between March and August (e.g. "10" for registrations issued between 1 March and 31 August 2010, that is reflecting the start of the 10th year of this registration schema), or else has 50 added to that value if issued between September and February the following year (e.g. "60" for registrations issued between 1 September 2010 and 28 February 2011);

A three-letter sequence which uniquely distinguishes each of the vehicles displaying the same initial four-character area and age sequence. The letters I and Q are excluded from the three-letter sequence, as are combinations that may appear offensive (including those in foreign languages).

further here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...United_Kingdom
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NTY
There are other variables when it comes to top speed.

1) Wind condition. Head wind or tail wind can make a huge difference.

2) Tyre diameter is variable. Thread depth, pressure, heat and speed will have an effect on tire diameter. Tire will be taller at 300km/h than 100km/h and hence giving a bigger diameter. And so in theory, the error at 300km/h will be lower than 100kmh. Diameter on same tire size between different tire makers is also different.

3) All cars I have owned or own have speedo error. So reading their relative difference is good enough for me.
Most important is an accurate way to measure it, of which a speedometer is not. Any decent GPS or laser/optical road surface based device should suffice. For real top speed tests they normally do speed runs in both directions and average the results to eliminate errors from the effect of wind.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

OdbII speed is much closer to gps than the displayed speed - per my solo dl.
So ecu know the right speed, just display is skewed higher for regulatory reasons.

?? anyone know a way to make the displayed speed 'correct'??
would be useful for driving and watching actual vs analysed speeds on exit etc...

Ps - thanks to OP for at least getting those 3 pics a few pages back posted - I chuckled on th first one but by the third I was in fits lol - all time classic for the pic thread

Quick Reply: 195 mph