Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 vs Cup vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Shocking; the Cup doesn't cost more to maintain than the street car driven under similar conditions?!? Who'd have thunk??? And yes, I'm being sarcastic.
That will only hold true until the day he needs to rebuild his gearbox. Then the Cup gearbox will cost about 150-200% of what the GT3 street gearbox is going to cost.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the comparison!

I wonder how the new Viper will hold up against the Z06.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM
summit81
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comparison writeup. The Vette is compelling, and it looks very nice.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Write up! *Internet High five*

Love the Vette build, I would enjoy seeing more "GT" Vettes running around.

Also, I don't think it is fair to bring up motor issues in this discussion, it does not matter what you drive on the track, there will always be a risk of some kind of failure/problem.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but the vette is currently running with leaf spring rears, and will be that much better when it becomes coil-overs or whatever the change will be. True? That being said, I don't see myself parting with my GT3 anytime soon, seriously smitten.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

whoa...baller indeed!

great post, exciting to think what the next gen corvette will be like, they seem to be making big strides
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
That will only hold true until the day he needs to rebuild his gearbox. Then the Cup gearbox will cost about 150-200% of what the GT3 street gearbox is going to cost.
Hey Matt

Had a friend whom recently had his 996 street GT3 gear box rebuild and it was no less than Cup car. I think it has to do with what needs to be done. I hope my 09 gear set upgrade will hold up with time ... so far so good

Originally Posted by IRguy
Thank you for the comparison!

I wonder how the new Viper will hold up against the Z06.
Don't know bu I am sure it needs alot of mods to make it run right on the track

Originally Posted by summit81
Thanks for the comparison writeup. The Vette is compelling, and it looks very nice.
It's nice to have options open to run other cars and it just make it that much more interesting. I may try a Subaru STI soon for really cheap track fun

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Awesome Write up! *Internet High five*

Love the Vette build, I would enjoy seeing more "GT" Vettes running around.

Also, I don't think it is fair to bring up motor issues in this discussion, it does not matter what you drive on the track, there will always be a risk of some kind of failure/problem.
That is very true. All track use motor will need to be reresh at some point and nothing last forever esp if you run it hard

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
whoa...baller indeed!

great post, exciting to think what the next gen corvette will be like, they seem to be making big strides
Thanks. Next generation C7 corvette will be here next year but it will need couple years for GM to work out all the bugs

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Correct me if I am wrong, but the vette is currently running with leaf spring rears, and will be that much better when it becomes coil-overs or whatever the change will be. True? That being said, I don't see myself parting with my GT3 anytime soon, seriously smitten.
It's composite leaf spring front and rear which is amazingly good but ride height adjustment is a royal PITA

Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice writeup!

I had a C6 Z06 before my first Cup -- definitely a good street/track car.

I've also taken my ZR1 out for a few laps to just screw around, another fantastic street/track car.

The biggest difference is safety, IMO. The Z06/ZR1's are so god damned fast, it's almost absurd to lap it regularly (w/o a cage/harness/fire system)... maybe I'm just getting old. My 2011 Cup hits about 151 into the braking zone for turn 1 at Thunderhill. My ZR1 was showing > 160MPH and I was braking before the start/finish line (way before the Cup). After a few laps, it's just so fast I didn't think it was worth the risk of being a gooey puddle in the car if I went off. :-)

-mike
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^151 mph........ wow!!!! What's your speed at the turn at t1? Mike
Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I may try a Subaru STI soon for really cheap track fun

My Evo needs a buddy!

Last edited by orthojoe; 07-18-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Matt
Had a friend whom recently had his 996 street GT3 gear box rebuild and it was no less than Cup car. I think it has to do with what needs to be done. I hope my 09 gear set upgrade will hold up with time ... so far so good
There's a difference between a rebuild and a remanufacture. When comparing apples to apples and equal levels of service on a gearbox between the two models, the Cup will always be more expensive.

A GT3 street mainshaft with 1st and 2nd gearset retails for less than $2000. A Cup Car 2nd gear just by itself retails for more than $2500. You don't want to know what first gear and a mainshaft cost.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

This is a great write up and observation. I have an 11 RS. So while I paid 20k (155k) more for my new RS porsche vs the .1, I had to do way less in costs to make it track worthy. Half cage, belts, track wheels and tires. I loved your green RS, but I think there is a measurable increase in overall performance between the .1 RS and the .2 RS, which I think might give that Z06 a run for the money. But case and point, the vette is a 30k cheaper solution for about the same lap times.

You are the second person on this forum that has gone to that vette as a GT3 or RS track car replacement.

Just curious, have you been to T-hill yet and what kind of lap times are you running there in the Z06 and/or cup car?

I look forward to catching up to you guys soon.

Take care.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

A cupcar will destroy any street modified zo6 with same driver. Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't understand how you can compare a modded street car to a CUP car, they just dont compare if DRIVEN by a good driver! PERIOD
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Nice writeup!

I had a C6 Z06 before my first Cup -- definitely a good street/track car.

I've also taken my ZR1 out for a few laps to just screw around, another fantastic street/track car.

The biggest difference is safety, IMO. The Z06/ZR1's are so god damned fast, it's almost absurd to lap it regularly (w/o a cage/harness/fire system)... maybe I'm just getting old. My 2011 Cup hits about 151 into the braking zone for turn 1 at Thunderhill. My ZR1 was showing > 160MPH and I was braking before the start/finish line (way before the Cup). After a few laps, it's just so fast I didn't think it was worth the risk of being a gooey puddle in the car if I went off. :-)

-mike
"gooey puddle" lol yet so true. Safety is also on the top of my concern when I drive on the track. wow, did not know you reach that kind of speed at TH with ZR1. I don't pay attention to my speed because I am too focus on lines and traffic at this time but I am sure high 140 mph in the Z06 at TH before T1. Did not know you drove for Patron's 458 at GrandAm. Looks like alot of fun!

Originally Posted by orthojoe

My Evo needs a buddy!
maybe soon

Originally Posted by GTgears
There's a difference between a rebuild and a remanufacture. When comparing apples to apples and equal levels of service on a gearbox between the two models, the Cup will always be more expensive.

A GT3 street mainshaft with 1st and 2nd gearset retails for less than $2000. A Cup Car 2nd gear just by itself retails for more than $2500. You don't want to know what first gear and a mainshaft cost.
Wow, that is pricy and hope I don;t have to find out any time soon

Originally Posted by stujelly
This is a great write up and observation. I have an 11 RS. So while I paid 20k (155k) more for my new RS porsche vs the .1, I had to do way less in costs to make it track worthy. Half cage, belts, track wheels and tires. I loved your green RS, but I think there is a measurable increase in overall performance between the .1 RS and the .2 RS, which I think might give that Z06 a run for the money. But case and point, the vette is a 30k cheaper solution for about the same lap times.

You are the second person on this forum that has gone to that vette as a GT3 or RS track car replacement.

Just curious, have you been to T-hill yet and what kind of lap times are you running there in the Z06 and/or cup car?

I look forward to catching up to you guys soon.

Take care.
Yes, there is no need to spend crazy money to mod a GT3 to drive on the track but race wheel, roll bar, LSD and proper brake and alignment are a must. I did 1:57 in traffic at TH with my Z06 and 1:56 with Cup and no traffic - both on scrub tires (R6 for Z06 and Michelin slicks for Cup)

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
A cupcar will destroy any street modified zo6 with same driver. Mike
Under race condition yes but 20 minutes time trial is another story

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Cup vs Z06