Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?

Just look at this list:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-faste...13.html?page=1

all cars are close or above 600hp category, all are in 200mph+ category, even including $100K SRT Viper.

If one excludes hardcore fans I cannot see why would anybody now care to get a 2010 turbo or new 991 models that got their entry price point jerked way up high compared to those cars, and this list does not include Z06, GT-R, shelby and other lower priced alternatives.

Porsche essentially maintained same level of design in entire 997 lineup where they were with $75k-$80k 996 chassis, including top car 2010 turbo which is impossible to comprehend why it costs $170K as it is 95% same damn tub and all electricals as base C2 car pretty much and motor alone does not cut the price diff, now with 991 entry cars they smashed almost $50K on top of 997.1 sale price but kept performance at same level pretty much HP and max speed wise. I do not get it, judging from marketing perspective alone looking at all the current competition.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Yes and every car on that list is $230K+ except the Viper and the Vette. Nothing is different. 911's have gone up since 2000 as the $ has weakened essentially and there are other markets now outside the US and Europe. Remember we still pay less for 911's than anywhere i believe. A 991 TT would make that list at $160-$170K. 3rd cheapest car. GT2RS would make it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand it either, I think Porsche got ahead of themselves when they saw that the 4.0 GT3RS could sell for what it did (and has been). At this rate, the regular GT3 will be 130-150k, the Turbo 170k Turbo S 200k, GT2/GT3RS 230k GT2 RS 300k. Whose going to keep buying those without them being top level performers? The 911 is not an exotic, so what is the selling point now?

I just don't think Porsche's allure will carry over with PDK. People will lose interest fast as Porsche customers are a niche market. They are watering down the product with sense numbing technology while still selling history and purism. Those two things are contradictory and could bite Porsche in the behind.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

reportedly said by a spokesman for the fine watch industry: "rolex doesnt care how many pieces timex sells". point being, porsche knows it's stuff and does it. WELL. they concentrate on perfecting their own science, and are happily unconcerned with beating another automaker around the 'ring.

so...so what if the 911 cant match up in some performance aspects to the odd Z06, GT-R, souped up subaru STI, or boss mustang it comes across? having never driven those, i'd still lay a bet that the 911 is more thrilling to drive, has better steering feedback, has superior performance longeivity, better interior - and the list goes on and on - not to mention the provenance of a race-bred, established marque.

all that said, i agree with you that it can be frustrating sometimes when seeing that a $50k mustang (NOWadays with the new designs) can easily challenge the 911 on track. but like i said above, timex is a nice product and tells time just fine too...but if you had a choice, which would you rather have?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i drive in SCDA group and this group got all those cars represented, from ferrary italia down to gt-r. including thoe boss mustangs which are indeed very fast for the money. all modern 2012 cars are extremely potent and I would not say just 'who cares' anymore.
i am just thinking where price point for 991 gt3 rs will be set (assuming it is somewhat close to $200K ) and in this price category it is a different game.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

only cars on that list I am remotely interested in: 458, Mclaren, Lambo superleg, you couldn't give me any of the others ...

perhaps the 4.0RS was "overpriced", I cant imagine given the pricing on the 991 & S that the GT3 or turbo variants will vary much from the price point on the 997 incarnations thereof ... do I care that there is a Mustang, Vette, or GT-R that is better than my GT3, no ... I wouldn't be seen taking a sh*t in any of those, never mind driving one! yep I'm a car snob!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This is why Porsche is the most profitable car company. And I'm not even talking about cars that are optioned out to 150% of base price...
Old 07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
This is why Porsche is the most profitable car company. And I'm not even talking about cars that are optioned out to 150% of base price...
+1 also explains the "exotic" watch market ... although that I do not understand at all, its simply man-bling!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only price something has is what someone is willing to pay for it. Consumers are willing to pay $170k for a 911 Turbo S, $200k for a Panamera Turbo S. That's your answer. They still make a base Carrera Cab for the dentists. The Turbo S and GT3 RS are aimed at the finance and successfull small business crowd. That's the market everyone is chasing.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like we got here along different roads. However, we are all products of our environments. I first lusted for a Porsche in Germany in 1967, but couldn't afford one on a 2nd Lieutenant's pay.

During the early 70's I was a Commercial Oilfield Diver working for Oceaneering Int'l out of Singapore. Rolex was the only workable tool at depth for me. Today, I don't wear any bling, except for my 2-tone Rolex Submariner. Been wearing it every day for over 20 years.

Different reasons for different folks.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grizfish
Looks like we got here along different roads. However, we are all products of our environments. I first lusted for a Porsche in Germany in 1967, but couldn't afford one on a 2nd Lieutenant's pay.

During the early 70's I was a Commercial Oilfield Diver working for Oceaneering Int'l out of Singapore. Rolex was the only workable tool at depth for me. Today, I don't wear any bling, except for my 2-tone Rolex Submariner. Been wearing it every day for over 20 years.

Different reasons for different folks.
A necessary tool is *not* bling!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do I care that there is a Mustang, Vette, or GT-R that is better than my GT3, no ...
i saw with my own eyes a modified gt-r car making 57 second laps on lime rock track with an average driver inside where it takes an instructor level guy in the 996/997 gt3 car on hoosiers to brake a minute, usually closer to a minute flat or high 58sec.

and that damn modded gt-r on street pirellys did 57sec lap with a 24 something yr old guy behind the wheel who sees racing track for his first year. it is questionable how much fun it was to drive it as it 'drives itself' mostly if driver knows the basic line well enouth to steer it where it should go, similar to R8 audi, but, you cannot just dismiss this fact by itself.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grizfish
Rolex was the only workable tool at depth for me.
not sure, actual movement in all Rolexes i saw wa crap, top level swiss army watch i gave to my father does not need any correction for a month while my brother in law`s rolex needs adjustment every 3 days.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Porsche GT3/RS buyer typically is Porsche blind, so there is no cross shopping to other brands as the GT3 is the only choice for this blind market.

Porsche knows this, they tested the waters with the 4.0 GT3 RS, and they sold them all at sticker or above MSRP. $200k for a 997.

Porsche Marketing is brilliant, and it has created a Zombie Cult chasing GT3 like human flesh.

So, the consumers have set the bar to new heights, and Porsche can easily charge $200k for the next GT3, people will still buy it, because they're Porsche blind.

I applaud Porsche for pricing the GT3 higher than ever, and to continue this trend, so the extra profit can subsidize the lesser wannabe Porsche (Cayman, Boxster), and average Joe can have access to this affordable sport cars for $50k.

A GT3 doesn't have to be reliable, its warranty can be voided if taken to a racetrack, it can lose wheels on the road and the track, spit oil or coolant everywhere, seize engines and transmissions, break clutches, refuse to shift, cook the brakes, and still the blind will still buy it at a $200k+ asking price. Porsche knows this and they're milking on that.

The marketing strategy is perfect, and sales reflect that.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Well, Dyson racing brought their catterham at last event and it was towed back 3 times from a track. No gt3 needed a tow track at that event..
In my opinion old porsche stigma goes away these days, older folks still prefer air cooled cars, new generation likes ferraris, top execs like astons and maseratis, there are more choices around these days. Track rats all have dedicated track cars...

Quick Reply: Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?