Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Rad on this one, however I think the same blind sheep will not be as attached to pdk. The biggest competition for new 911 will be the older 911's
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
not sure, actual movement in all Rolexes i saw wa crap, top level swiss army watch i gave to my father does not need any correction for a month while my brother in law`s rolex needs adjustment every 3 days.
My orange hand Rolex Explorer II, a Xmas present from my wife, keeps time to within 2-3 minutes a month and has for over 30 years. She bought it for under $800 new; I've been offered $15K for it (would never sell it; will leave it to my son.) Owned 3 quartz SA watches in the same time; they all crapped out. Wonder what they're worth now?

As to the original point of the thread, some cars fit certain people and others don't. Ferraris are beautiful and fast, for example, but price aside, just too much "hey look at me". Nothing against anyone who owns one, it's just how I would feel driving one, and they make a statement that's not me. Porsches are in my comfort zone; not too ostentatious, technically interesting, fun to drive, classic, and built for the long haul. Kind of like my plain old stainless steel Rolex. Does that makes me one of those Zombie Cult or blind sheep buyers that Porsche marketing is selling to?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

If gt3s are no longer reliable, eventually the blind sheep will stop buying them. One of the allures of this car is its reliability and track worthiness.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
...Ferraris are beautiful and fast, for example, but price aside, just too much "hey look at me". Nothing against anyone who owns one, it's just how I would feel driving one, and they make a statement that's not me. Porsches are in my comfort zone; not too ostentatious, technically interesting, fun to drive, classic, and built for the long haul...
+1 Well said!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For people over 30-35, Porsche has a stellar race history, too. They've been living on it for a while. I think even they have realized that not racing for outright at Le Mans has been hurting them. And, IMO, a GT3 that can't trace a clean line to a racing lineage will be a harder sell than the pdk will be.

BTW, my Tissot T-touch gains ~1 second per month - best watch I've ever owned.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1968 - 1998 golden years of porsche racing; here's hoping they can bring them back.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
For people over 30-35, Porsche has a stellar race history, too. They've been living on it for a while. I think even they have realized that not racing for outright at Le Mans has been hurting them. And, IMO, a GT3 that can't trace a clean line to a racing lineage will be a harder sell than the pdk will be.

BTW, my Tissot T-touch gains ~1 second per month - best watch I've ever owned.
I agree. I also think that when the 991 GT3 is raced, and it will be, the clean line will be intact.

BTW, a good quartz watch like the Tissot should keep that kind of time and will always beat a fine mechanical watch on sheer timekeeping. But like top speed and cars, there's more to it than that. Wheels, springs, and gears have more charm and fascination than a vibrating crystal and a battery, for me. Again, like cars, TEHO.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
only cars on that list I am remotely interested in: 458, Mclaren, Lambo superleg, you couldn't give me any of the others ...

perhaps the 4.0RS was "overpriced", I cant imagine given the pricing on the 991 & S that the GT3 or turbo variants will vary much from the price point on the 997 incarnations thereof ... do I care that there is a Mustang, Vette, or GT-R that is better than my GT3, no ... I wouldn't be seen taking a sh*t in any of those, never mind driving one! yep I'm a car snob!
By any measure -- except raw performance -- the 4.0 is wildly overpriced. Over time, I full well expect that aspect and impression of the 4.0 to rise and fall with the fickle wind of the "investment grade" market for Porsches. It might be a decade or two, but surely one day it will be recognized as one of the great ones, even without a racing chapter to its volumes of history. Preuninger is perhaps more marketing than engineering in his role at Porsche, but he was entrusted with a practically unique task -- to close the book on the 911 as the world has known it and put a fittingly perfect final model at the end of the line. He delivered.

If you take off the ***** emblem from the paint, if you unbolt the six screws holding on the wing and carefully store it for track visits, you have as understated a 911 as most any other.

Having seen the 4.0 put to purpose by an exceptionally capable driver recently and even taken a passenger seat session -- a rare thing for me, the first in most of a decade -- in my mind, there is no doubt about that engine and the car as the complete and very real deal.

If the 4.0 raises a high bar and, on paper, for the technical specifications, the numerical analysis of lap times, speeds and G forces, it will be bettered and probably sooner than later. The changing spreadsheets of horsepower and high speeds long ago exceeded the limits of human performance in an analog world. If a human is in control of the machine, it is a matter of human limits and endurance. In the coming digital age, the human experience begins an inevitable change and I am but one of many who will live to appreciate the past and let the future find its way without me. I have no doubt that future generations of car enthusiasts and earnest drivers will look back on our time as "the good old days" of real sport, just as we today look back on decades of motorsport last century in awe.

Can we expect the very first new Porsche 911 to be perfect? I am sure everyone reading will let their lips move just enough to say "no." Can we expect excellence and demand it? There is no substitute.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, its funny about the "racing" lineage to the GT3. Actually, if Porsche really keeps the road car as "racy" as possible, then it HAS to go PDK. GT3R's now come paddle shift standard. Cup cars are being fitted with paddle shift kits for endurance races. It happens.

The 4.0 is/was overpriced. Super-overpriced. And the 3.8RS is kinda overpriced right now because of production. But - as soon as the 991 GT3 shows up - the 997 gt3's are going to look slow and outdated. I'd expect prices to come down nicely.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

porsche has been one of the most successful miners of the Pro-sumer trend ie normal consumers buying cutting edge tech like North Face or Rolex or Nikon or P just because the cost of the tech came down enough relative to that groups earning power. Most of them don't need that level of performance but want to have it. Of course being Trak rats we need it but as many have said before we aren't the key target market - Trakers/Racers are actually helping P build the brand ... They shd be paying us!

Ps - on the lineage issue I expect/don't see how they can avoid 1. Paddles and 2. More cylinders in the battle for GT2/3 supremacy.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
Indeed....Porsche hooked me at the Geelong store in 1980...with a silver 928S and a guards red 911SC on the floor....

(that said...was at the McLaren London store on Monday.........i do believe the bar has been raised.)

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 07-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by bmardini
You know, its funny about the "racing" lineage to the GT3. Actually, if Porsche really keeps the road car as "racy" as possible, then it HAS to go PDK. GT3R's now come paddle shift standard. Cup cars are being fitted with paddle shift kits for endurance races. It happens.

The 4.0 is/was overpriced. Super-overpriced. And the 3.8RS is kinda overpriced right now because of production. But - as soon as the 991 GT3 shows up - the 997 gt3's are going to look slow and outdated. I'd expect prices to come down nicely.

Yes, only PDK isn't a race transmission.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
By any measure -- except raw performance -- the 4.0 is wildly overpriced. .
Disagree completely. What other measure is there for a GT3 RS 4.0?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I assert that it's overpriced based on it's relative performance. Let's be frank, even dollar for dollar, it's not even reasonably priced for a Porsche if performance were the determining factor. They priced that car based on everyone expecting it to be the last and only 4.0 liter Merzger engine. A collectors vehicle. I don't think an NA flat 6 could make that car match it's performance with it's price if it were on a sliding scale.

Quick Reply: Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?