Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 Blind?

That's a bit extreme. Even myself with an '04 GT3 as a daily and 3 RSs including a 4.0, has to take exception. I will not put up with ridiculous prices or faulty quality just to maintain the spirit. I've been fortunate. I've never paid over msrp and have never experienced a serious problem of any sort. I love the Porsche brand, but would be quick to go Ferrari if my fortunes changed.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread. A couple of points - a friend of mine who drives a highly prepared 997.1 GT3 (well) recently bought a brand new Interseries Cayman (around 330 hp, I think) and was immediately 2 seconds a lap faster at Watkins Glen, a track he knows well. Second, the 991 body shell and chassis have clearly moved even more into the grand touring arena. I think Porsche will continue to race the 911 and its competitors have all gotten bigger as well (they are all huge compared to sports racers of yore), but I wonder if we track rats will all be driving Caymans soon if we don't go backwards to 996s or move to Corvettes.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Very interesting thread. A couple of points - a friend of mine who drives a highly prepared 997.1 GT3 (well) recently bought a brand new Interseries Cayman (around 330 hp, I think) and was immediately 2 seconds a lap faster at Watkins Glen, a track he knows well. Second, the 991 body shell and chassis have clearly moved even more into the grand touring arena. I think Porsche will continue to race the 911 and its competitors have all gotten bigger as well (they are all huge compared to sports racers of yore), but I wonder if we track rats will all be driving Caymans soon if we don't go backwards to 996s or move to Corvettes.
I don't see 911 track drivers wanting to be in a mid-engine anything long-term. If they put a decent rear suspension geometry solution under the Cayman or Boxster, it would be a lot more appealing, but it's not a 911 substitute.

It's impossible to compare a (well) driven GT3 to a Cayman -- it would be interesting to see the data, especially in an equivalent lap comparison, but the world simply cannot withstand the onslaught of yet another Cayman can be faster than a 911 debate. : )
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 AM
zanwar
Pro

Interseries Cayman is a stripped out properly sorted race car. I don't think it's fair to make a comparison with a street legal 997.1 GT3, unless the owner of the GT3 had also ripped out the interior of his car. The Cayman is compelling from a value for money point of view (117k new for a full package), but still a lot slower than a 996 cup car. I imagine if you bought a new M3 or a 991 Carrera and built it into a dedicated race car you would also have an impressive machine for the price point.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
The Cayman is compelling from a value for money point of view (117k new for a full package), but still a lot slower than a 996 cup car.
that is true, and my concern would be how much maintenance will cost as caymans do not have full list of motorsports parts as cup cars have, so, it is not clear how street parts will even cope with racing stress and how it will translate into DNFs on those cars in a practical reality after they all run for a while. cup car parts do cost pretty penny but it is a tank pretty much with a proven reliability. any custom built project car is an unknown territory. and with current price level on 996 and 997 cars i would not even bother - proper interseries croc costs virtually same $80k as a slightly beaten up 997 cup will cost and how reasonably fresh 996 cup will cost.

and speaking of interseries crocs - when i`ll see one doing 53-54 sec lap around lime rock like 997 cup car does - i`ll beleive into it. i did not any single one yet doing this.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM
zanwar
Pro

Interseries Cayman will never be as fast as a 997 cup. Not even close. It's not designed to be. They run about as fast or a little faster than a really well sorted street GT3. On the Autobahn South Track, they do about 1:34-35, the cup cars do 1:27-29. I think if you're actually planning on racing in a series the Cayman is a good option. For weekend fun at the same track I would still choose a street GT3.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those Interseries cars are fast in the right hands. I know Jack Baldwin ran a 1:30.x at Road Atlanta in one and the 996 Cup Record I think is in the 1:28's but 2010+ 7 Cups are mid 24's I think they ran like a 1:33 at Barber, and I think the fastest 996 Cup there was 1:31 (Grand-Am, Wolf Henzler). So it's really kind of close actually between the Interseries cars and the 996 Cups. Probably about 2-3 seconds pending the track.

Quick Reply: Has Porsche misjudged its marketing strategy?