RS 4.O Owners Wing solution now available

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
Can someone design an extension piece for the stock mounts at a more reasonable price? It sure seems like 2 or 3 inch extension pieces could be made that would accomplish the same thing for a lot less money! The rear pieces could be made in different lengths to change the amount of downforce needed for 4.0 and 3.8 applications. Just a thought - Sharky you up to the task????
Good luck with that.

That wing generates over 300 lbs of downforce near top speed, a 2" or 3" extension might collapse once you put 300 lbs of weight plus the bounces on the road at high speed, rather than the upright being supported by the deck lid, it would be the extension supported by the upright at the point of flex.

Wing uprights require good engineering, and the way they attach to the car also require good engineering.

The cost is reasonable given the material, equipment and engineering applied, and it isn't like the manufacturer would sell thousands of these.

As usual, it is just a matter of time to see the chinese knock-off version made from recycled beer cans with multiple color options for $50 on ebay.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 07-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recycled i phones
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Good luck with that.

That wing generates over 300 lbs of downforce near top speed, a 2" or 3" extension might collapse once you put 300 lbs of weight plus the bounces on the road at high speed, rather than the upright being supported by the deck lid, it would be the extension supported by the upright at the point of flex.

Wing uprights require good engineering, and the way they attach to the car also require good engineering.

The cost is reasonable given the material, equipment and engineering applied, and it isn't like the manufacturer would sell thousands of these.

As usual, it is just a matter of time to see the chinese knock-off version made from recycled beer cans with multiple color options for $50 on ebay.
Exactly. Not attracted to the thought of introducing ADDITIONAL points of failure to the system that a "riser" entails... hence voted my money with Orbit. Expecting delivery soon!!

p.s. I take offense at the Chinese comment. Come on we can do better than $50... $15!!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
No RSR. "Just" a GT3 R...
Right Yannick! My limited italian/excitement getting to me ... Scooozi
Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM
smack
Track Day

nice idea and well designed/made.
just a question from an outsider. so the wing on these cars are multi-contoured to counter the boundary layer of air coming off the rear window. the raised center portion is angled up to line up with the air coming "down" the rear window. as you raise the wing your are lifting it out of this angled air into more clean air which is not being influenced by the body work of the car. the farther you go the straighter the airflow. so if you don't counter the change in angle isn't the air hitting "under" the wing more and actually causing lift/less downforce in that center section?
if you look at an rsr wing there is just an overall curve but no defined center section contour as you would expect since these sit much farther off the body.

not trying to bash on the piece just curious if my thinking is sound or off base.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Right Yannick! My limited italian/excitement getting to me ... Scooozi
No problem. R´s are beautiful machines anyway...

The wing uprights used on the R are the same as the ones used on the 2010+ Cup´s. Nicely made and a little piece of art IMO.

There are several GT3 RS´es that use those uprights and the Cup-Wings here in Germany... But to be honest: For driving around town the wing is way too big... So on the street and for trackday-driving I´d prefer Baron´s uprights.

Looks almost original if you don´t know it... Biggest advatage here with the TÜV and the cops hanging around here
Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
Wondering why it's in the shop? This will give you a little clue ....
Holy smokes... the collision's probably pretty bad to bend an LCA like a pretzel?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wouldn't an extension work? The wing is held by 2 screws. Would a small extension connected by 2 similar screws not hold? The gurney flap, which is perpendicular to clean air wind is held by a thin strip of tape.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdrank
Why wouldn't an extension work? The wing is held by 2 screws. Would a small extension connected by 2 similar screws not hold? The gurney flap, which is perpendicular to clean air wind is held by a thin strip of tape.
Someone else reading this thread alerted me to your post and thought that I should respond since I am the one with the many hours & coin invested in this project.

Regarding your thoughts on extensions; An extension may or may not work. There are seven reasons that I chose the path I took;

1. Strength; after examining the factory piece and hours of design analysis into the "thought process" or design theory that the Porsche engineers put into the original.

3. Weight; extensions with the needed overlap and additional fasteners would be significantly heavier than a pure one piece design.

4. Safety; Every time you add an addtional fastener, connection, link, etc... you add the potential for a new problem to occur ........ and Murphy's law states that this problem will happen at speed !

5. Cost; A properly engineered, designed and manufactured "extension" as you put it, should almost cost the same to produce as my extended pieces with the only cost difference being less aluminum used for your idea !

6. Aesthetics; I was very interested in keeping with the original look because I think it that the original is a beautifully designed piece (my opinion).

7. Appearances; I think that extentions look "friggin cheesy" and are typically seen on "Tin can Rice burners" NOT on a $150- $250k piece german engineering !

Regarding your thoughts on Gurney flaps or Wicker bills; From a physics and engineering point of view, at 150 mph, there is a HUGE difference between redirecting clean air and supporting several hundred ponds of downforce.

On a 3000lb. production car, if you loose the wicker bill at 150 mph the average driver may or may not notice the change. You will however, instantly notice the potentially catastrophic change when loosing an upright or wing at 150 mph. I know this from first hand experience. I have seen this happen directly in front of me at Daytona on turn 4 banking at +/- 190 mph and VIR on the front straight at pit out .......... NOT pretty !

Three sayings (cliche') come to mind when discussing this subject;

If you have the money to do something twice, you had the money to do it correctly the first time !
If you have the time to do something twice, you had the time to do it right the first time !

Most importantly .......... Pay now or PAY later !

Hope this helps !
Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM
drdrank
Racer

Totally all fair points. Thanks. I have to say, for some examples that I have seen before yours, the metal just doesn't align exactly to the decklid as it does on the OEM uprights. Yours seems to be very nicely machined.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just curious but couldn't you just bolt on cup uprights?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

sure can, but need Cup wing also
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orbit Racing
sure can, but need Cup wing also
Darn it I can't wait for mine to arrive!!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry for being late fellas... but here they are on the web site now
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=347
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

It will be nice to look out of my rear view mirror again, so I can see Clarke come at me earlier :-)

As soon as my Amex recovers from Mancation III, it will be round 2 at Orbit

Quick Reply: RS 4.O Owners Wing solution now available