Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Weather

So, as we have had nothing but rain all summer in the UK and are forecast 3 to 4 inches of rain today, I have a fear about those Michelins being able to deal with it all. Did not even take the car to Goodwood FoS this year.

I drive my GT3RS like your grandma - never been tracked and its limits exceed my bravery, but I love it nonetheless.

The question is, how wet is it before you guys do not take your cars out for fear of aquaplaning? How damp? Standing water? If so, how deep?

Or do you drive whatever the weather, 2 inch deep puddles on the motorway and to hell with it?

"Just drive it" says the OPC but I have read many a post counselling against this.

Advice please!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPSC are terrible tires, especially in the wet.

I have Bridgestone RE11's and they are great in the rain, which we have a lot of as well throughout the year.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

Brought my GT3 home in the rain, rained 5 inches that day. Car has MPSC and it was just terrible driving home, almost crashed her passing a big rig on the highway! Do not drive a car with MPSC in the rain or on wet roads!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If the car is only used on the street just switch over to the Bridgestone RE11's or to the Michelin Super Sports. Both tires should be fine in the wet.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

in the UK you need to install MPSS tires. Can handle medium rain unlike the MPSC.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you live in the UK and you don't track your car you should with 100% certainty use Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - you could then drive your car year round without worry - take off your OE Pilot Sport Cups and send them to someone who lives where it is hot and it doesn't rain.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
in the UK you need to install MPSS tires. Can handle medium rain unlike the MPSC.
As Tom and I deal with Vancouver's rain, MPSS are the way to go. They are on my daily driver, Lexus ISF, and the car now drives like a dream. Especially in the rain!

I also had Bridgestone RE11's on the GT3 and were great in the wet too. Experiencing Florida downpours a few times with the RS on new MPSS, I must say I have full confidence in them.

Standing water is bad, but be slow and cautious. Let common sense prevail.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Like everyone says, just swap tires. I run Bridgestone RE050A which were installed at an OPC in the UK. Progressive power output makes for a fine car even in heavy rain. I'm historically a Michelin man, but MPSS were not an option when I switched. If your car has center locks, have the OPC do the switch... You will be limited to Porche N-spec tire choices and availability thereof. Good luck and don't let your fine machine waste away by having the wrong shoes for the occasion.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use MPSC in the rain, just slow down to legal speeds and you will be ok. If deep standing water or 'rivers' across the road slow down more! They grip ok with normal driving habits.

MPSS or Corsas are much better but caution is all ways required with wide section tyres.

Jay
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference between MPSC and MPSS in the rain on the street is gigantic.

The problem on the street, compared to track, is that you never know where the next big puddle of water will show up on the highway. Conditions constantly changing.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by celestequattro

The question is, how wet is it before you guys do not take your cars out for fear of aquaplaning? How damp? Standing water? If so, how deep?

Or do you drive whatever the weather, 2 inch deep puddles on the motorway and to hell with it?

"Just drive it" says the OPC but I have read many a post counselling against this.

Advice please!
In Europe I advise having a set of winter tyres for when the outside temperature drops below 5 Celsius, but make sure that they are for the range -15 to +15, no need for Scandinavian specs, also decide how slow you can stand being limited to when driving on them and select the speed rating accordingly (the higher the speed rating, the fewer the sipes), then a set of shoulder tyres for Spring and Autumn, such as Contis (I like tyres which don't 'shout' when approaching the limit, I don't need that, I can feel it) and then put on the MPSCs in the summer. If you need you can have extra cuts put into them, Michelin will give you the specs.

Aquaplaning is OK, if you are happy with the direction you are going in, just take care not to twitch when the world goes light, tell yourself to relax, check that every bit of your body is relaxing including your arms, hands and fingers.

Low profile tyres probably don't benefit from being taken on and off rims, so get extra rims and make it easy on yourself.

Sounds to me like you need to drive your car more, not less!

R+C
Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call me nuts, but I gotta go....
Theres ICE under the white stuff!
Tires PS2 on a GT3
Not too fun

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Weather