GT500, New GT3/GT2/RS Killer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 06:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
GT500 at LS 1:38.7
Boss 302 Laguna Secs at LS 1:40.21 with Bomarita driving.

That is a 1.5 sec difference not a killer by any means.

Boss 302 at Sebring with Camber plates, stiffer springs and 265 front 295 rear MPSS turned a 2:29.1 with Ian driving and a Stock 6GT3 with AD08s ran a 2:27.5. Adding R6 to da Boss might get you to the 2:26 range so the GT500 would get to 2:23+ which is a long way from the 2:18's on RA1's GT3DE Cup times.

Peter
The Laguna Seca lap in the Boss was done with the Pirelli Corsa System tires, a DOT race tire similar to the MPSC N-Spec, while the GT500 lapped on crappy Good Year F1. Put the GT500 on the same Pirelli tires and it would drop another second at a minimum, making it a 1:37 lap around Laguna Seca. Randy Pobst lapped the GT3 RS 3.8, 458 Italia, Lexus LFA in 1:36s.

ZL1 did the Nurburgring in 7:41 with the crappy Good Year tires (same ones used by the GT500). On MPSC N-Spec it could be in the mid 30s, solid lap times for a 4,000 lbs Chevy Gorilla. The 997.2 GT3 did 7:40, the 3.8 RS 7:32, the 997.1 RS 7:43.

Ian ran 2:29 on crappy weather, on good weather (January's weather), he could drop 2.5 secs not changing anything. R6 are 4 secs faster than MPSS at Sebring. Your Boss is capable of 2:22s and 2:23s in good weather on R6.

No one has yet run a 2:18 on RA1 at Sebring. Trakcar 1.0 had a 2:18.99 with a massive load of modification parts added, this 2:19 lap was done in the best conditions that Sebring offers, January on a morning session. A stock 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 on the cheater RA1 in great track conditions would do 2:20-2:21s.

The GT500 offer a Track Package that adds a tranny cooler, diff cooler and external engine cooler, all of them with oil pumps. No idea if the Boss has this.

The GT500 can run DE CUP lap times easily, for $60k it is a bargain, compared to the $135k RS 3.8 or the $135k 302R or the $90k 302S, and it is street legal, full warranty, and it must be fun on the streets with such massive torque.

Parts are affordable (no Porsche tax for parts), the R&D is already done on the 302S and 302R race cars, lots of bolt-on go-fast track parts.
Old 07-05-2012 | 06:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Few things I read about the new GT500 in Automobile.
It has 662hp but that can only be on tap at 6250rpm for 8 seconds max and then the ECU cuts it back to 6000rpm. Each second at 6250rpm must be redeemed at or under 6000rpm for a equal second. If you run at max rpm for 8 seconds the ECU locks you out to max of 5000rpm for 15 seconds.

The drive shaft is carbon fiber...possible the first use of carbon fiber for a part that costs less than building this part from steel. It's 14.4lbs less than other Mustnags drive shafts and it can withstand more power than steel drive shaft.

Ford makes a track pack that Ford says is a must for the track. Wonder if Ford voids warranty if used on the track...road course or drag strip? Also thinking of the aftermarket parts for Mustangs I bet someone could get some great shocks, remove suspension rubber and improve the brakes and these Mustangs will haul around the track pretty good for a lot less money than a $130k Porsche.

On the other end of this I'd love to put some hot laps in with. Panamera Turbo S with sticks tire and proper alignment....Fun!
Old 07-05-2012 | 07:37 PM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

If its such a great car and design, why does it take 662HP to take a second off of a little old rear engine flat six? Might be a 60k car, looks good and goes fast but its still just a Ford.
Old 07-05-2012 | 09:16 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
I can only speak for myself, but I would not turn either into a track day car, it would be a use at track if my track day car was still in the shop or I wanted to go have a little fun with friends. Brakes are usually a requirement for most cars and usually an easy fix, change pads, change fluid, maybe add cooling, and you're done. I still like the Camaro better, just pointing out that the GT500 is no joke on the track. Put some stickies on it and you aren't going to lose to many cars (at least for a few laps).

As far as the LS motors go, I'll believe it when I see it. Z06's let go on the regular and I knew it had something to do with the oiling system (LS7 and LS3) yet I have not seen ONE SINGLE significantly modified LS motor no constantly being wrenched on at the road course or blowing smoke out of the back or blowing up entirely. People are putting dry sumps and bigger oil tanks on the C6's and they are still blowing up if you put high levels of G forces into them. There was another issue with the oil pan pickup being too high and not properly designed as well.

That is not bulletproof to me. Have not seen/heard of anything other than stock LS6's stand up to real track duty for long periods of time.
LS1 and LS6 are the same motors with exception to the 243 heads(LS1 has 241 cast) and slightly different cam profiles.

LS1/LS6 motors are stout (more my experience). The LS2 was ok with exception to boosting it with a turbo. The supercharged LS2s did great. Strange but the power delivery of the turbo compared to the S/C would rattle the mains under the DOD plugs.
Old 07-05-2012 | 09:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

LS motors bulletproof? Absolutely positively not. The C6 is one of the worst LS motors ever. The LS3's are blowing up left and right if driven hard. I think they fixed it somewhat with the grandsport, but bulletproof is not at all a good way to describe them. The LS7 isn't far behind, lots of Z06, even stock, but especially modded going boom. There are several threads about these issues on Corvette Forum. The stock LS6 from the C5 Z06 is still the most reliable motor that GM has built.

However I will say that I have not heard of any issues with the CTS-V motors or the LS9 from the ZR-1, so that is a plus. Much more so than an LS7 IMO. But I have had my own personal issues with LS motors, so I'm still skeptical.
Interesting. I have raced fuel injected LT-1, LT-4 and LS1 motors with no issues and lots of miles on them. The LS3 only appears to be a LS1 with factory mods.... cant see why it would less reliable then LS1? I guess the LS3 was a dud.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltusler
If its such a great car and design, why does it take 662HP to take a second off of a little old rear engine flat six? Might be a 60k car, looks good and goes fast but its still just a Ford.
Well it's about 800 lbs heavier with a solid axle, is an aero brick, has skinny tires, tall ride height, and is not built to run road courses, and is only 60k. Could be said why does it take Porsche 120k to go the same speed.

I think this is being taken too seriously though, these cars are not peers. The mustang cannot replace a Porsche, I doubt many people are looking for a ~700 hp behemoth for a track day car. Just saying if you happen upon one in your GT3, and the driver is good you may have your hands full trying to get away (or keep up) for a few laps. That is all, just don't get caught off guard that a battle with a mustang is a drivers race now.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Wanna911. By your rational my Stock 6GT3, except toe links, would run 2:21 at Sebring on R6 since it is 1.6 sec faster than da Boss, good luck with that.

IIRC Veloce Raptor feels the PSS is a faster tire than the Crappy NSpec PSC so using that for comparison is sort of lame

Talking about GT3DE Cup drivers times at Sebring is like talking about your times at RA your home track.

I never claimed Ian was/is in Randy's league, just a very fast driver in any car he gets in. I use his times as my times are usually a joke but I never claimed to be good, just average.

I will concede the verbal Internet wars to your experience which I observed on 6Speed during the Porshe/GT-r war.

Peter
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Interesting. I have raced fuel injected LT-1, LT-4 and LS1 motors with no issues and lots of miles on them. The LS3 only appears to be a LS1 with factory mods.... cant see why it would less reliable then LS1? I guess the LS3 was a dud.

I think it was less the motor and more the oiling system, but obviously the motor will take the brunt of the blame since it's what detonates. At first the LS3's were so bad that if you took a long sweeping left hander with sticky tires on (I think it was left) the motor was sure to go boom. The LS7 is a marvel of engineering, so hopefully GM can sort the problems out.
Old 07-05-2012 | 11:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Wanna911 I've seen just as many Porsche engines have issues at the track as a Vette engine. Porsche IMS issues, coolant dump, cracked blocks and so forth. But for as many cars go to the track every weekend that are just nothing more than street cars it's pretty amazing there are not more issue with any of these cars.

Personally I really like the Vette, 'stangs or what ever a guy wants to bring to the track and run....I'm just glad to have friends into the same thing I'm into...how about you?
Old 07-05-2012 | 11:11 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Wanna911. By your rational my Stock 6GT3, except toe links, would run 2:21 at Sebring on R6 since it is 1.6 sec faster than da Boss, good luck with that.

IIRC Veloce Raptor feels the PSS is a faster tire than the Crappy NSpec PSC so using that for comparison is sort of lame

Talking about GT3DE Cup drivers times at Sebring is like talking about your times at RA your home track.

I never claimed Ian was/is in Randy's league, just a very fast driver in any car he gets in. I use his times as my times are usually a joke but I never claimed to be good, just average.

I will concede the verbal Internet wars to your experience which I observed on 6Speed during the Porshe/GT-r war.

Peter
Why so sensitive?

Rad made some good points you seem to have overlooked our are you just wanting to make this personal and not about the facts?

I think the gt500 will run decup times, and you don't think it will. So we disagre, no reason to get all emotional.
Old 07-05-2012 | 11:17 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

The day this kind of **** happens, I'll probably start playing soccer. For those who knows me, knows how scary that would be.
Old 07-05-2012 | 11:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wanna911 I've seen just as many Porsche engines have issues at the track as a Vette engine. Porsche IMS issues, coolant dump, cracked blocks and so forth. But for as many cars go to the track every weekend that are just nothing more than street cars it's pretty amazing there are not more issue with any of these cars.

Personally I really like the Vette, 'stangs or what ever a guy wants to bring to the track and run....I'm just glad to have friends into the same thing I'm into...how about you?
I'm not anti vette, I love Corvettes, I just don't trust them to beat in at the track. Mostly because if my experience and every single friend I have that haa had one. All of them have had moderate to major engine problems.

The issues with the ls3 are well documented many racers have replaced 3 or 4 of them. That is not to say Porsche is by any means prefect. I have already sworn off buying another one until they address the coolant issue. This is not about bias, just my opinion and experience. I love the zr1 though and would but that in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2012 | 12:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I'm not anti vette, I love Corvettes, I just don't trust them to beat in at the track. Mostly because if my experience and every single friend I have that haa had one. All of them have had moderate to major engine problems.

The issues with the ls3 are well documented many racers have replaced 3 or 4 of them. That is not to say Porsche is by any means prefect. I have already sworn off buying another one until they address the coolant issue. This is not about bias, just my opinion and experience. I love the zr1 though and would but that in a heartbeat.
Not saying you're anti Vette.... hope you didn't read me wrong. I've not cruised the Vette forums so read up on the C6 cars but I've always been impressed with some of the mildly modded c6 zo6 Vettes that were well driven at the track.
Old 07-06-2012 | 01:06 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

I think it was less the motor and more the oiling system, but obviously the motor will take the brunt of the blame since it's what detonates. At first the LS3's were so bad that if you took a long sweeping left hander with sticky tires on (I think it was left) the motor was sure to go boom. The LS7 is a marvel of engineering, so hopefully GM can sort the problems out.

Any of the non-dry-sump LS motors can lose crank or rod bearings by sustaining over 1g cornering for more than 5 seconds straight. For a modern small block, LS motors are pretty good for everything except keeping oil around the crank while cornering. LS7 is far better in this regard since it uses a true dry-sump that does a better job controlling oil flow. LS7 is still far from perfect. The stock oil pump does not flow enough volume for road racing purposes, the hard iron cylinder liners are very prone to cracking even on a 100% stock engine and the stock sodium filled exhaust valves are known for shattering when a big cam is introduced. The aftermarket has fixed these flows with replacement Darton sleeves, replacement Manley valves and most LS engine builders port and shim LS7 oil pumps to fix the flow issues. The LS7 is really just a glorified street engine that still needs these updates to make it track worthy. Figure about $5-7K to fix the LS7s common flaws. BTW, the C5R/C6R motors don't share a single component with the street LS7 engine; unlike a GT3 engine which is almost completely lifted straight out of a cup car. This is probably why an LS7 costs $13K new, while a GT3 engine is $35K new. A C5R engine BTW is about twice the price of a street LS7.

Personally, I don't understand the point to this thread. So a GT500 has more HP, so what? It just gained back 140 lbs after losing it in the last iteration and handling has suffered. So in a straight line it is marginally quicker that a .2 GT3. Unfortunately it does have the suspension or brakes to compensate for the weight and hence still doesn't have a chance to keep up. It couldn't even keep up with a 300 lb heavier 80 hp less ZL1 around a road circuit. What would make you ever think that this is a car that could complete with GT series car?
Old 07-06-2012 | 11:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

here's the video by C Harris:

i cant believe the Stang's seating position.

Quick Reply: GT500, New GT3/GT2/RS Killer?