Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's alright, I like tht video anyway!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Boss302 - lack nimbleness
Not the one I drove. Turns in like a champ.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

watched whole video - -was great - ----but two american muscle cars with roughly 1200 hp - -and no good ole fashion drag race???
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
watched whole video - -was great - ----but two american muscle cars with roughly 1200 hp - -and no good ole fashion drag race???
Like he said...he's a limey;-)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
here's the video by C Harris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrhW6...layer_embedded

i cant believe the Stang's seating position.
that is why i compare my GT500 to that of a grand marquis...... the seat.
great for daily driving and entry/exit
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Personally, I don't understand the point to this thread. So a GT500 has more HP, so what? It just gained back 140 lbs after losing it in the last iteration and handling has suffered. So in a straight line it is marginally quicker that a .2 GT3. Unfortunately it does have the suspension or brakes to compensate for the weight and hence still doesn't have a chance to keep up. It couldn't even keep up with a 300 lb heavier 80 hp less ZL1 around a road circuit. What would make you ever think that this is a car that could complete with GT series car?
Based on that lap at Laguna, it's faster than all of the .1 997's and close enough to the new RS that it's a drivers race.

And the tires are crappier than anything put on a Porsche. So given tire equality it's conceivable that the GT500 could lay down a flyer GT-R style before things start to overheat, brakes get soggy etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I just don't get the American manufacturers' approach to this quest - a 4,000 pound "sports" car which then needs an insane motor, just to keep up with (for example) a normally aspirated 6 cylinder. What happened to high-tech materials and weight reduction...it's not 1967 any longer.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is there not to understand? The Mustang is an icon, they didn't just develop it yesterday. It has a market and has stayed true to it's roots, big hp but no fancy sleek design, or high tech materials, or ton of gadgets. It's just no longer playing second fiddle to the Euro brands, it's clobbering them upside the head like the Corvette and Viper have been doing for the last 7 years or so. At 54k you can't put all the fancy materials on the car.

While American Muscle is embarrassing the Euro cars for ten's (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars less. What's hard to understand is how European manufacturers keep gouging while steadily getting slower compared to the competition.

Now that Porsche is selling out by putting every gadget they can on the car, America may be the last place that's left that's staying true to it's beginnings.

America's car makers are doing what they've always done, put down the sword and smash Europe over the head with a billy club. And from my point of view it's working.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:38 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
What is there not to understand? The Mustang is an icon, they didn't just develop it yesterday.
Yeah, my first car was a much-used '66 'stang...in high school. But time marches on, and it's become a pig. 4,000 pounds does not a sports car make.

And no, they are not "kicking the Europeans' asses" in any way, unless you decide to ignore handling, refinement, efficiency, quality, beauty.

How many *****-to-the-wall 'Ring laps do you think the Ford brakes will last? Wake me up when the 'stang has won as many endurance races as the 911.

The only Ford I'd ever want is the Ford GT - now that was a pretty cool car.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont confuse ability and willingness. The stangs front brakes for example, are made by brembo just like the ones on our P. So here F had the ABILITY to use bigger/better brakes but they didnt. They could have easily put the CCB from the Enzo, made by Brembo (which is what Chevy did w/ its ZR1) but I guess the ~$5k additional cost wasnt worth it. Another example would be F's 1yr study on carbon fiber. F didnt say they couldnt do it but rather that it was too costly for mass implementation. While I wouldnt exactly say American cars are beating the Europeans, the former are certainly closing in. The upcoming Viper seems interesting . When it comes to tech and innovation, I'd bet on America every time.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Few things I read about the new GT500 in Automobile.
It has 662hp but that can only be on tap at 6250rpm for 8 seconds max and then the ECU cuts it back to 6000rpm. Each second at 6250rpm must be redeemed at or under 6000rpm for a equal second. If you run at max rpm for 8 seconds the ECU locks you out to max of 5000rpm for 15 seconds.

The drive shaft is carbon fiber...possible the first use of carbon fiber for a part that costs less than building this part from steel. It's 14.4lbs less than other Mustnags drive shafts and it can withstand more power than steel drive shaft.

Ford makes a track pack that Ford says is a must for the track. Wonder if Ford voids warranty if used on the track...road course or drag strip? Also thinking of the aftermarket parts for Mustangs I bet someone could get some great shocks, remove suspension rubber and improve the brakes and these Mustangs will haul around the track pretty good for a lot less money than a $130k Porsche.

On the other end of this I'd love to put some hot laps in with. Panamera Turbo S with sticks tire and proper alignment....Fun!
Sounds like an interesting car, but what's the fun in bridge girder suspension handling? Oversteer a few laps, find yourself continuously in the 5000 rpm penalty box for running any straight at full throttle, that would get old after about 1:35 seconds. Maybe the "track pack" improves cooling or oiling to the main bearings or otherwise alters the power limits?

Surprising to see 70+ posts on yet another lumpy V8 with a blower stuffed into an American muscle car from the 80's -- maybe it's a slow news week for Porsche. Presumably next week we'll see a Boxster GTS or some new model of mini SUV with a VW engine and parts bin suspension. : )
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
maybe it's a slow news week for Porsche. Presumably next week we'll see a Boxster GTS or some new model of mini SUV with a VW engine and parts bin suspension. : )
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see it as the power to $ are truely great with the GMC and F car's but that's not what makes a great sports car.

These cars once they set foot outside of the US become very very large to the point where they don't fit, fuel econ is a joke and the cost nearly close to euro sports car prices.

There's no excuse for a solid axle,these should not be fitted to anything since the 80's unless it has a gross weight of 7 tonnes! Same goes for the quality of materials, fit and not using technology when available.

They will both sell in numbers I'm sure but us Europeans will be less convinced to part with our cash.

Jay

Quick Reply: GT500, New GT3/GT2/RS Killer?