Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trofeo R Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
So DocGTO say he needs a little more camber than -2.8 and Savyboy say no more than -2...WOW that's a huge difference. Maybe the cars, how fast each of you are actually going and the tracks driven?
From my experience:

- 2.5 in the front
- 2 in the rear

michelin cups wear evenly
Trofeo wears a lot more on the outside

IMO trofeo can handle more camber. I think the compound is grippier.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
From my experience:

- 2.5 in the front
- 2 in the rear

Yes, that is pretty much the same setting I used for my Michelin Sport Cups N Spec too. I never got to try out the Trofeo...I just ordered 18" Forgelines and R888 255/315 and I will use NT01's too.

From my understanding the Trofeo is a lot more grippier than MPSC N Spec...heck even R888 last as long and is more grippier than MPSC N Spec. R888 has a stiff sidewall and can take a little less camber. This helps in braking and street wear too. I can back my camber down to -2.2 front and -1.8rear on R888.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So DocGTO say he needs a little more camber than -2.8 and Savyboy say no more than -2...WOW that's a huge difference. Maybe the cars, how fast each of you are actually going and the tracks driven?
Let's just put it this way. I'm less then sec off Randy's lap at RRR in my portly turbo first time out on the car. I would say that I'm running them pretty well.

Pirelli recommends -3.0 front camber with them. For me, that is too much as I use it on the road as well so I settled for -2.6 and I still wore out the outside faster then any other part of the tires. I think a good fix would be to go about -2.8 or maybe try 32psi hot over the 30psi hot to see if that reduces some of the outer edge wear.

What's interesting is that the -2.6 is a little too much for the R888s as the inside wears faster then the outside on the fronts.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

From my experience:

- 2.5 in the front
- 2 in the rear

I agree.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Well my camber is about 2 front and rear and the outside edges are almost gone- however I think the point to consider is that the edge wear with me has coincided with the Trofeo's heat cycling out, so all you get with more camber is even wear on the grooved part of the tire, not sure it's a real benefit, but I'll be adding camber plates soon to dial in more and I'll let everyone know.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Let's just put it this way. I'm less then sec off Randy's lap at RRR in my portly turbo first time out on the car. I would say that I'm running them pretty well.

Pirelli recommends -3.0 front camber with them. For me, that is too much as I use it on the road as well so I settled for -2.6 and I still wore out the outside faster then any other part of the tires. I think a good fix would be to go about -2.8 or maybe try 32psi hot over the 30psi hot to see if that reduces some of the outer edge wear.

What's interesting is that the -2.6 is a little too much for the R888s as the inside wears faster then the outside on the fronts.
Yep basically that was were I was going....you run faster and harder than some.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Here is a pretty good comparision to sidewall stiffness between the Trofeo and R888. Look at the front tires and how they are rolling. The Trofeo rolls more and both sets of tires were at operating temps. This is the same corner just at a slightly different camera angle. What's strange is that the Trofoes felt more stable even though they "roll" more but they were also on their 5th track day and he R888s were on their 1st.

Torfeo
Name:  Trofeo.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  Trofeo-1.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  12.4 KB

R888
Name:  0k6x1020.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  ToyoR888.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  15.8 KB
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

RA1's and NT01's roll more and those are awesome tires. From what I can tell is that the stiffer sidewall makes for crisper turn in and steering feel but a tire that rolls slightly might have more contact patch.

That is why my alignment set up changed when I went from RA1 to R888 and then to MPSC and now back to R888.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

One question: How many heat cycles are folks getting out of the Trofeo R? I'm seeing people report upwards of 5 track days, but they were all but gone when I went out to PR today (very little grip in T8 kept my busy and I needed to brake some for setup to 6 out of 5B, whereas normally on throttle all the way through for me).

Prior to today, I had 3 track days on the Trofeo R -- about 15 heat cycles total. I don't have anything to compare it to (like the MPSC) but I really like its turn-in response and predictability (easy to control at its limit). However, it's also really expensive; esp if I need to get a set every 3 lapping days. Will probably get a set of 18s to open up some more tire options for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

RJA, I looked hard at keeping my 19" track wheels and running the Pirelli Trofeo but after finding out that the tires really only last 2-4 track days depending on the track and how fast the driver really is. Plus the fact that the Trofeo is stupid expensive I decided to stay on Toyo R888. Then I decided to move back to 18" sizes to run Toyo and Nitto tires that everyone is having great sucess with at around $1000 less than Pirelli Trofeo.

Forget about wasting money on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Toyo R888 last as long, have way way way more grip and are $700 less per set same size comparison is my personal experience.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:15 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget about wasting money on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. Toyo R888 last as long, have way way way more grip and are $700 less per set same size comparison is my personal experience.
Funny, on this side of the Atlantic everyone using R888 on his Porsche switches back to Michelin Cups.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rja
One question: How many heat cycles are folks getting out of the Trofeo R? I'm seeing people report upwards of 5 track days, but they were all but gone when I went out to PR today (very little grip in T8 kept my busy and I needed to brake some for setup to 6 out of 5B, whereas normally on throttle all the way through for me).

Prior to today, I had 3 track days on the Trofeo R -- about 15 heat cycles total. I don't have anything to compare it to (like the MPSC) but I really like its turn-in response and predictability (easy to control at its limit). However, it's also really expensive; esp if I need to get a set every 3 lapping days. Will probably get a set of 18s to open up some more tire options for me.
I got 5 good days out of my set. I may have gotten 1 more day out of them but the very outer front edges wore faster then all other parts of the tires.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rja

Like i reported previously, about 20 - 25 heat cycles. I didn't take them further since the front edges probably won't last another full day. On the second set now- 7 cycles so far.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Funny, on this side of the Atlantic everyone using R888 on his Porsche switches back to Michelin Cups.
Yeah that's what I heard too...but this was my experience at Florida tracks between MPSC and R888. R888 is not my favorite tire but it's what I'll be using the rest of this year.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks for responses thus far. If I could get 5 days / 25 cycles I'd be pretty happy. Checking w/ Woodman tires to see what they say. I think I just need to cough up for a set of 18 wheels and wear Hoosiers for track days. (Other suggestions?)

Quick Reply: Trofeo R Report