Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yachting effect and the GT3RS (You are all Basterds)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Yachting effect and the GT3RS (You are all Basterds)

First of all you are all Basterds. I previously owned a 997S and just returned from Euro Del of a base 991. I was quite happy with the handling characteristics of the 991 vs 997, the pathognomonic "yachting effect" (a trait I never enjoyed) appeared to be absent. I was lucky enough to have lapped Hockenheim, and did a couple of days at the Nurburgring and one thing remained clear. The GT3 and GT3RS was ubiquitous at all the tracks I went. The 991 felt anemic and soft in comparison. Now that I have spent a while reading all of your posts I am convinced I need to step up and go for a true track car. Thank you all for infecting me with this disease that forces you into further and further impractical cars. Ignorance was truly bliss, but now the cat is out of the bag and I am literally dreaming of a GT3RS constantly. This forum is only confirming my suspicions that a clown car with ridiculous looks will be my only solution. My question is this, do you still feel the wobble at the front end when the rear gets pushed to its limits in the 997.2 GT3RS? Or is the stability of the wider front axle enough to keep it stable ala the 991?
Seriously: this forum is filled with great contributors and all the questions I have had both technical and otherwise have been answered with panache and intelligence. There is obviously a group of like minded lunatics here and having a support group is wonderful for any affliction.Thanks to all who contribute especially those, like me, guilty of having an excessive personality
Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

wobble? what is wobble? I drive nice and easy and straight. lol
seriously, I do not feel wobble. And I have my cars setups as loose as I can get them, love to have the rear end hanging out there.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I have yet to experience any wobble in the front end of my 997.1RS..... so i think you will be fine in a 997.2RS.... perhaps your 997S did not have sufficient aero downforce at speed whereas the RS has the front splitter and rear wing to aid stability....

enjoy your 991 and wait for the 991RS. ( if you can hold out that long )
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive just a .2 GT3, I can feel the front end wobbling at moderate speeds. Did not know it as the yatching effect but now that you mention, it kind of feels like it...
My car is sitting quite low with reasonably good alignment, maybe is gone on the RS...
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I dont like boating, I get sea sick
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned two 997S, and now a 997.1 GT3, and have never felt a wobble. If by yachting you are referring to a light steering wheel at higher speeds, then that is easily solved by lowering the vehicle. I had both lowered to ROW height, and they never had the issue again.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

It's as if the front end is bouncing from the weight of the engine cantilevered off the rear end. like you're in a boat with the front bouncing off the waves. It's a subtle feeling but it's there. The 991 has almost eliminated it as it feels more midengined than rear. I assumed this was due to the wider front axle which is in the 997.2 RS. The 991 is also longer, however, so I was wondering if the sensation was evident in the RS. Better downforce at the front would also balance this effect while keeping the excellent turn in feel. I also like the idea of a shorter wheel base for more dynamic feel. Yes the 991 is a great car and I should just settle down but I have been reading way to many posts about traveling to Florida tracks, Laguna Seca, Mosport, Road America etc. and I honestly can't think of anything greater than traveling the country in a GT3RS from track to track. A slice of heaven if you ask me. The more track driving I do the more I want to do. This last trip to The 'Ring just confirmed that. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you are talking about

It has happened to me on a few occasions, most of which involve the front suspension "giving up" in turns. My car was lowered for a while and that made it very bouncy in the turns. On the road, at 60-80mph, there is a slight porpoising from the front end but nothing major. You can tune the "wobble" out with sway bar settings and camber adjustments.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a 997.2 GT3 and there is no wobbling.

I just wobble on whether I should get an RS or not!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
First of all you are all Basterds. I previously owned a 997S and just returned from Euro Del of a base 991. I was quite happy with the handling characteristics of the 991 vs 997, the pathognomonic "yachting effect" (a trait I never enjoyed) appeared to be absent. I was lucky enough to have lapped Hockenheim, and did a couple of days at the Nurburgring and one thing remained clear. The GT3 and GT3RS was ubiquitous at all the tracks I went. The 991 felt anemic and soft in comparison. Now that I have spent a while reading all of your posts I am convinced I need to step up and go for a true track car. Thank you all for infecting me with this disease that forces you into further and further impractical cars. Ignorance was truly bliss, but now the cat is out of the bag and I am literally dreaming of a GT3RS constantly. This forum is only confirming my suspicions that a clown car with ridiculous looks will be my only solution. My question is this, do you still feel the wobble at the front end when the rear gets pushed to its limits in the 997.2 GT3RS? Or is the stability of the wider front axle enough to keep it stable ala the 991?
Seriously: this forum is filled with great contributors and all the questions I have had both technical and otherwise have been answered with panache and intelligence. There is obviously a group of like minded lunatics here and having a support group is wonderful for any affliction.Thanks to all who contribute especially those, like me, guilty of having an excessive personality
Yes. Sell, dump 991. Skip gt3 get 2010rs, or 4.0 if you can.
Yachting effect = spend a lot and immediately regret not getting the bigger one?

Someone posted with panache and intelligence? You have a name of such a person?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

rear sway bar is most likely set too soft.... that with ride height and aero...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Never noticed what you describe as "yachting effect" on 997.1 GT3 RS or 997.2 GT3. I noticed that with my 996.2 GT3 when I was driving without a front lip. Really quite scary.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

You can only cure the disease by getting a RS :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

First of all you are all Basterds.
Agreed!

I previously owned a 997S and just returned from Euro Del of a base 991. I was quite happy with the handling characteristics of the 991 vs 997, the pathognomonic "yachting effect" (a trait I never enjoyed) appeared to be absent. I was lucky enough to have lapped Hockenheim, and did a couple of days at the Nurburgring and one thing remained clear. The GT3 and GT3RS was ubiquitous at all the tracks I went. The 991 felt anemic and soft in comparison.
Oh I double dog dare you to go and post this to the "ladies" on the 991 forum!

Now that I have spent a while reading all of your posts I am convinced I need to step up and go for a true track car. Thank you all for infecting me with this disease that forces you into further and further impractical cars. Ignorance was truly bliss, but now the cat is out of the bag and I am literally dreaming of a GT3RS constantly. This forum is only confirming my suspicions that a clown car with ridiculous looks will be my only solution. My question is this, do you still feel the wobble at the front end when the rear gets pushed to its limits in the 997.2 GT3RS? Or is the stability of the wider front axle enough to keep it stable ala the 991?
wobble ... wobble ... we dont have no stink'in wobble... I think you are think ing of weebles... c.f: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeble
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Orbit r
Former Vendor

Good set up is the key.

Quick Reply: Yachting effect and the GT3RS (You are all Basterds)