997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My GT3RS project: "Airborne Ranger"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012 | 10:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I plan on going to Champion between the 10th. and 15th after next week, will the car be there?
Old 06-03-2012 | 11:02 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I plan on going to Champion between the 10th. and 15th after next week, will the car be there?
Not sure but more likely it will be there.
There are several other aspects of the RS that are being address.
The Ohlins are to finally arrive this week. Need to finish up on all other suspension components.
Louis wants to test with the different M&M header/exhaust systems I acquired.
Again I know it's not Akcrap but just a sh!tty system in all your minds. Call me crazy but I believe it's better. Just an aside. Akcrap is made from recycled titanium from retired Soviet MIGs. Louis also will test the stock 82 mm TB against 84 and 86 mm TB's he made.
Tuning to be done, plans are for 3 maps for different fuels.
Oh and most importantly will need to invision a new graphic idea because Mr. NJ-GT has been pushing my buttons to the point I now hate the stripes on the RS. Also Mr. NJ-GT regarding your comments about 2nd gear, with all due respect, I will listen to my experts NOT you.

So Peter after I think about it chances are the RS will be there in the 2nd week of June.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 06-03-2012 | 11:16 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

84 and 86 TB testing? Wow... I want!
Old 06-03-2012 | 11:22 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Not sure but more likely it will be there.
There are several other aspects of the RS that are being address.
The Ohlins are to finally arrive this week. Need to finish up on all other suspension components.
Louis wants to test with the different M&M header/exhaust systems I acquired.
Again I know it's not Akcrap but just a sh!tty system in all your minds. Call me crazy but I believe it's better. Just an aside. Akcrap is made from recycled titanium from retired Soviet MIGs. Louis also will test the stock 82 mm TB against 84 and 86 mm TB's he made.
Tuning to be done, plans are for 3 maps for different fuels.
Oh and most importantly will need to invision a new graphic idea because Mr. NJ-GT has been pushing my buttons to the point I now hate the stripes on the RS. Also Mr. NJ-GT regarding your comments about 2nd gear, with all due respect, I will listen to my experts NOT you.

So Peter after I think about it chances are the RS will be there in the 2nd week of June.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Champion Porsche are a very capable outfit, however the data NJ-GT has collected over the years (on his own accord without being paid) in both modified Porsches and Ferraris on east/west coast race track sceen is sound and unbiased.

I would give his input some thought as it there to help more so than to critic..
Old 06-03-2012 | 11:31 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I like Rad but his comments about Ranger's build are ignorant.
Old 06-03-2012 | 12:09 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=tcsracing1;9582204]Champion Porsche are a very capable outfit ...

"capable", wow that's a at least a kind word.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 06-03-2012 | 12:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

[quote=RSRanger;9582268]
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Champion Porsche are a very capable outfit ...

"capable", wow that's a at least a kind word.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
well, actually they are pretty awesome!
Old 06-03-2012 | 01:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rad really knows how to flip the on off switch with some of you on these forums....he's a funny guy for sure.
Old 06-03-2012 | 01:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rad really knows how to flip the on off switch with some of you on these forums....he's a funny guy for sure.
Mike

Maybe I'm old school but you don't trash or kid around people you don't know. Rad is famous for opinions which are like a**holes which can really stink at times. IMHO

Peter
Old 06-03-2012 | 03:10 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

You guys are taking it too serious. I think he is simply pulling your leg. I met Rad before and outside of his sinister side there is a gentleman as well.
Old 06-03-2012 | 03:42 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senna
You guys are taking it too serious. I think he is simply pulling your leg. I met Rad before and outside of his sinister side there is a gentleman as well.
Gentleman don't throw Crap at people they don't know. I've know Rad for 7 years and still don't put up with his Internet BS. People get on the computer and post stuff they would never say in person face to face.

Peter
Old 06-03-2012 | 03:42 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

I like njgt's commentary. Keeps the gt3 bias in check.

Looking 4ward to more info and media!
Old 06-03-2012 | 04:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Ranger, please don't take the Scuderia stripes off, the car gets slower.

My non-expert opinion about your project 2nd gear:

Yokohama slicks (as picture posted) are almost 27" tall for the 997 Patron cars, same size you'll be using. That puts 2nd gear at almost 100 mph.

Downshifting with your new 1st gear at T7/T10 at Sebring is too short, and with the extra power the car will be difficult to drive out of these turns, so you'll be in 2nd gear. Especially out of T7 there is a long flat-out section at Sebring, your project car will be struggling at 4,000 rpm out of T7.

GT3 engines don't make good power below 6,400 rpm, and ideally they need to spin above 7000 rpm all the time. I think a shorter 2nd is the way to go.

If you use the dyno graph and plot it with 2nd gear (with your 2:1 ratio) vs. my non-expert option better 2nd gear (2.471:1), you will notice a power deficit between T7 and T10 at Sebring of 35 whp average. To get an idea what 35 whp means in actual performance, the 4.0RS is around 32-33 whp stronger than the 3.8RS and they both share the same gearing, multiple 3.8 drivers have witnessed what a 4.0RS does to them out of turns. My Fiat is near 40 whp stronger than standard 3.8RS, and the 3.8 drivers have seen my Fiat go by them with ease.

Homestead has 2 very slow sections where your 2:1 2nd would hurt, Daytona has 2 slow sections as well. PBIR would be perfect with your gearing.
Old 06-03-2012 | 04:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I like Rad but his comments about Ranger's build are ignorant.
The 350whp is fun stuff, same as my 397whp Fiat.

The gearing, no joke. The lightest and faster 997 GT3 Cup ( a car capable of taking turns faster than Ranger's car) has a 3rd gear as tall as Ranger 2nd, the Cup has a shorter 2nd, and Porsche Motorsports knows its stuff.
Old 06-03-2012 | 05:57 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Gentleman don't throw Crap at people they don't know. I've know Rad for 7 years and still don't put up with his Internet BS. People get on the computer and post stuff they would never say in person face to face.

Peter
Sir I agree with your sentiments. If I were to not agree with a members build best thing is to say nothing. Certainly would not denigrate it and say it will be weak and will not make anywhere near the power anticipated.
Especially when one doesn't have any personal interaction with the member.
All in all, even though I've been a fighter all my life, it's fine. He can dwell in his own thoughts for all I care.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)

Quick Reply: My GT3RS project: "Airborne Ranger"