Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

track tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Guys.....hold on... This is the OP's 1st track event....he's not going to heat up the tires 8-10psi.

I suggest for your 1st de to start out with the cold psi for the GT3. This will work with the stock alignment settings. As you progress and get faster then you can start to play with alignment and tire pressures...depending on the tire you will be using.
Actually this is not my first track event. It is my first track event in my new to me GT3. Have tracked A4, audi TT, 04 M3, 02 C4S, Boss 302. I have been to more than 30 drivers events over the years and Road America is where I primarily run. I do appreciate everyones input and look forward to trying it out over the weekend.

Last edited by tasman; 04-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
Larry...LOL...before you know it this crowd will have the guy doing all sorts of cheater mods and running Hoosiers for his 1st track event. We don't want to scare him away from the crack out of the gate....let him start to fall on his own then we all can swoop in and spend his money.
WAY too late for that. Long time lurker. Tried to be happy with my 02 C4S but was just not enough for me. Kept trying to tell myself GT3 was too expensive and more than I needed. Finally in april decided life was too short (or maybe just inhaled too many rennlist fumes) and bought my 07 RS. In the last few weeks have bought jackpoint jackstands, cup front splitters, and have talked to Kelly Moss Motorsports about track alignments. Think I will track a time or two and then start changing tires and alignments so I can learn what they do. I am sure eventually end up with a roll bar, GT2 seats, and probably sharkwerks bypass. Would do that now but would probably result in my having to give up half of my income and finding another house. So you see I hold you guys partially responsible for this insanity and my dwindling bank account. If I had just bought a GT3 8 years ago I sure would have saved a ton in depreciation in the substitutes I tried.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well he cant possibly navigate around a track without a pair of RS 4.0 (wannbe) dive planes for starters, and 9 degree "AoA" on his rear wing for pete's sake!

Maybe next week Larry.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I say skip the ss and just go full slicks
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
tasman
Race Car

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I say skip the ss and just go full slicks
maybe next year
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
...Think I will track a time or two and then start changing tires and alignments so I can learn what they do. I am sure eventually end up with a roll bar, GT2 seats, and probably sharkwerks bypass.
That's a good approach. I tracked mine twice before having an alignment/setup done. It was nice to be able to feel the difference. Bar/seats/harnesses is a great way to go. The unexpected benefit is with the harnesses you are held snug and can relax and be lighter on the controls. Makes a big difference.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

You definitely DO NOT want to go down. You will hurt the tires. They are not stiff enough to handle low pressures. They also have an issue delaminating if they get too hot. I was warned not to run high psi's for extended periods.

Bear in mind these tires, although pretty good, are definitely 5-7 seconds slower than a good track tire, all things being equal. They drift and howl, but are dual purpose in that they can operate in both environments. Personally I don't care for them on the track after normally running R comps. But they do make for good backup or rain tires.
We start much lower then 35 and the tires are feeling good before the end of the first lap..

I just did a test for Michelin on the PSS.. Granted it wasn't in a P car..

But i can tell you the tires is defiantly NOT 7 seconds off of a good track tire.. Or even a Slick!.. Not even on a long track.. I have seen similar performance to a "R comp" like a R888 actually...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was this the michelin test?
they last longtime haha

Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience with PSS is once the rears hit 42 psi the rear really slides. So far I have found 35 or 36 F and 38 R is a good hot target.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
My experience with PSS is once the rears hit 42 psi the rear really slides. So far I have found 35 or 36 F and 38 R is a good hot target.
Agreed. I really overheated mine at Nola and they were worthless.

Originally Posted by kingleh
We start much lower then 35 and the tires are feeling good before the end of the first lap..

I just did a test for Michelin on the PSS.. Granted it wasn't in a P car..

But i can tell you the tires is defiantly NOT 7 seconds off of a good track tire.. Or even a Slick!.. Not even on a long track.. I have seen similar performance to a "R comp" like a R888 actually...
Agree to disagree. You will ruin the tires if you come out way too low and beat them into target temps. They don't have the sidewalls to support track abuse while underinflated. As far as lap times, I run Sebring all the time. I can do a 223 flat on Hoosiers. I could barely break into a 228 on the SS's so call it a 229 for all practical purposes. The SS's don't have anywhere near the grip of an Rcomp. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun tire and it's good as what it's designed for. But you can't have a 1/2" tread block, long lasting wear, rain performance, AND be fast all in one tire. It is good for driving to and from and having some spirited track sessions though. Come out to Sebring on some SS's and see if you can keep up with me on hoosiers
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as lap times, I run Sebring all the time. I can do a 223 flat on Hoosiers. I could barely break into a 228 on the SS's so call it a 229 for all practical purposes. Come out to Sebring on some SS's and see if you can keep up with me on hoosiers

Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I bet he wasn't on Michelin Super Sports
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I will say this, I've never met Leh but he is a legend. Somebody told me he crushed some sort of record at Roebling recently. Leh can out drive the crap out of me without a doubt but I bet I whip up on him if he's running SS
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

I will say this, I've never met Leh but he is a legend. Somebody told me he crushed some sort of record at Roebling recently. Leh can out drive the crap out of me without a doubt but I bet I whip up on him if he's running SS

If all you could do on MPSS was a 2:29 then you weren't driving hard enough.

Peter
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

It was technically a 2:28.7 if that makes a difference

Trust me, I was trying! Weird thing about them is when pushed on high speed turns, they drift. I got the crap scared out of me more than once in 1 and 17. Usually you can set a line and hold it with a rcomp. These tires allowed the car to slowly drift out more than planned, slowing down your ability to get back on the gas. It was almost like it was continually skipping a few inches at a time as you tracked through the corner. I slowed it way down after running over the exit curb on 1 a few times in a row.

You were out there that day in your rustang And I thought you were on SS' too. What times were you knocking down? What did Ian manage on them? He was out there too right?

Quick Reply: track tire pressures