Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RSR butterflies, sequential box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR butterflies, sequential box?

Hi all

Since I am putting a 4.1L kit, I am thinking of a individual butterfly kit, cam, motec and sequential box. The butterfly kit basically is a copy of the RSR where they use a six butterflies vs the single one. Still will use the stock plenum.

What do you guys think?

The 4.0L LE doesn't use one. I was told Porsche could have but decided not to in order to protect profit margins.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
Hi all

Since I am putting a 4.1L kit, I am thinking of a individual butterfly kit, cam, motec and sequential box. The butterfly kit basically is a copy of the RSR where they use a six butterflies vs the single one. Still will use the stock plenum.

What do you guys think?

The 4.0L LE doesn't use one. I was told Porsche could have but decided not to in order to protect profit margins.
Dont know about the butterfly kit ,

but it's gonna get steep with the motec and overkill for street use, unless its a dedicted track car , but then you will be better off with a cup car.

Last time i got a quote from a Porsche tuner in regards to a motec ecu system for a high hp turbo car it costs north of 30k Euros as you will also need a race abs and tc+sc.

Also sequential will be an overkill for street use..

Save your money and spend it elsewhere
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Dont know about the butterfly kit ,

but it's gonna get steep with the motec and overkill for street use, unless its a dedicted track car , but then you will be better off with a cup car.

Last time i got a quote from a Porsche tuner in regards to a motec ecu system for a high hp turbo car it costs north of 30k Euros as you will also need a race abs and tc+sc.

Also sequential will be an overkill for street use..

Save your money and spend it elsewhere
The Motec system I am being offered is only $2,500! But I will still use stock ABS and TC. I think you're referring to the kit used in Cup cars where they have a different ABS. I am not sure though. The sequential kit is not a new tranny but a kit. I will clarify and post more details. I am just scared that I may be scammed. All too good to be true.

Cheers,
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

My friend it sounds you're being scammed.
A Motec system for $2,500 ????
RSR 6 TB set up with stock intake plenum ?? Also this will be serious dollars and not to sure of substantive HP gains for the buck.
If your RS plans on any street use a sequential tranny is not a good idea.
What do you mean by a "sequential kit"?
Are you talking about sequential shifter (Cartronic)? Still have to use the clutch to up & down shift. Spend the $6K on suspension.
Talk to Guard and gear your tranny like a 996 Cup car. Do the GT LSD and keep your stock R&P.

Best of luck and love to read about your build.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Full Motec engine management and wiring will cost north of $10K.

RSR throttle bodies and Sequential gearbox is overkill unless you plan on going to a cup car.

Point is if you plan on doing all these mods to your street car you are going to have more invested in it than a cup car. You might as well sell the street car as is and go buy a cup car. The cup car will be faster than you can ever make a street car for the money. And all these mods you are talking about doing can be added to a cup car if you so desire to make it even faster than it already is.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

and if you ever (successfully) sell it, you wont recover much if anything from the modifications ... if you want a race car buy one dont build one
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

The local dealer here offered me a M800 model. With all the wiring total kit cost $4K. This kit does not do data logging. Just allows you to custom tune the car. One tuner here has the ability to reflash the OEM box but can't alter the cam timing. Just ignition hence the desire to get a Motec. Even my engine builder can tune using a Motec.

Yes the sequential is Cartronic. See link.
http://www.sequentialshifters.com/history.html

It's interesting to know that Porsche funded the R&D to later choose PDK.

Regarding my suspension, I already have dog bones, toe links, GMG anti sway bar, Moton CS and Guards LSD.

Regarding the butterlfy set up, it's a kit that allows you to still use the existing plenum hence the cheap price.

I was intrigued by the package and will do more due diligence. He said one of his client who had a 7GT3 with a 4.0L and the butterfly kit reached 570hp at the crank.

Last edited by silverboy; 04-16-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

It's interesting to know that Porsche funded the R&D to later choose PDK.

Actually, VAG channelled the filthy lucre to Ricardo, a bit like the Cayenne development (whatever any marketing person says)

R+C
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He said one of his client who had a 7GT3 with a 4.0L and the butterfly kit reached 570hp at the crank.
I think the 570hp number is inflated.. For refrence RS tuning fully built to spec 4.3 "GT3" engine produces 544ps

Check the link , this is a 4.2 997 RSR engine that RS tuning built and produced 589ps on engine brake..

Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

pare,

save your money and just drive your RS. you and i (and most of us around here) are so far from the limits of what a stock car can do, no reason to pour money into modding the car and not being to exploit those mods.

i may agree with your 4.1L mods, perhaps so you can gain more straightline power and make the car more fun on the street. but all these new mods, you're thinking, looks like money to be thrown away as you will not be able to fully take advantage of it.... and might make your car even more difficult to drive on the street/ track... not only that to maintain as well.

good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
pare,

save your money and just drive your RS. you and i (and most of us around here) are so far from the limits of what a stock car can do, no reason to pour money into modding the car and not being to exploit those mods.

i may agree with your 4.1L mods, perhaps so you can gain more straightline power and make the car more fun on the street. but all these new mods, you're thinking, looks like money to be thrown away as you will not be able to fully take advantage of it.... and might make your car even more difficult to drive on the street/ track... not only that to maintain as well.

good luck.
I dont think he is getting the butterflies because its still not built as a kit. Meaning, there will be a lot of customizing to be done. Who wants a headache? I told him the sequential is ok, but its also nice to feel shifting the stock trans into the gates

Paul
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
I told him the sequential is ok, but its also nice to feel shifting the stock trans into the gates

Paul
exactly
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

The local dealer here offered me a M800 model. With all the wiring total kit cost $4K. This kit does not do data logging. Just allows you to custom tune the car. One tuner here has the ability to reflash the OEM box but can't alter the cam timing. Just ignition hence the desire to get a Motec. Even my engine builder can tune using a Motec.
I am not telling you this to keep you from doing the Motec but this is information you need to know about the ECU. The Motec ECU is not a simple tune and forget ECU. It requires constant tweaking. Every time you go to the track with different air temps, humidity, elevation, etc. it will need to be re-tuned. It does not adjust automatically for these changes like your factory ECU does.

That is a great price on a used Motec M800 but I don't see how they are going to wire the car for that cheap of a price. I would get more info before jumping into that boat. You may be getting a cheap price and then have a lot of issues you aren't ready for. Assuming it is a used one they are pricing you, the only way the engine harness will work in your car is if it came out of a GT3. A 997 3.6 Carrera engine harness will not work on a 997.1 GT3.

Quick Reply: RSR butterflies, sequential box?