Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OLOA Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another one- "there's no space for a transit driver because my ego takes up the other seat."
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Rad, you're right. You're easily better than guys like Leh Keen, Paul Gerrard, Brian Smith, Rob Renc, Spencer Geswein Ron Adee and other obviously less talented folks who have competed and won in SCCAPRO, ALMS, FIA, and ACO. Guys who are official test drivers for car manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Not to mention winning OLOA. When you enter, I'll make sure all the teams know how little you think of them.

FYI, testing is called testing for a reason. If we wanted to kick everyone's *** in NASA time trials that would be underachieving.
I bet my moving chicane Cayman can beat your Forced Induction Aero Beetle (Fiab) at the OLOA autoX. It should lose to your Fiab at the drag race, point proven, drag racing is for fast cars, and autoX is for fast drivers.

At the racetracks, if you can keep your Fiab on the pavement, it should be faster than my Cayman.

You still need 30 drivers to fill in the list so I don't make it to 30th place. I would not shoot for 1st place overall with my Cayman, that I would do using the OLOA proven formula: Bring somebody else to do the driving for you (aka a Ringer), and bring a well prepped car.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Or you can prove Brock Yates wrong, since he did lay down a challenge to the red car and gold chain crowd 9 years ago... Ferraris are crap.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't know what competes in OLOA. A decade ago a Craftsman tube frame truck won(edit- okay, don't remember if Ron Adee won or not but it was definitely top 5). Cayenne is an also ran if the Big Dogs run.

People who compete on the sharp end of the grid in OLOA reconn every track on the schedule. You won't place top 30 without that experience. Rare exceptions may be Leh Keen, but then again he is in a hyper competitive car. He wouldn't be anywhere with a box stock Elantra either.

Enter a CTT, RS3.8, or GT3 if you just want to run for fun.
I have zero track time at the tracks in this year's schedule, do I have chances for 30th place or better if I bring my Fiat?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Rad, all kidding aside, it's a tough race, at least it used to be when the total distances were over 5K miles. Performance on track is almost a direct reflection on commitment to the event prior. In today's event I think you could finish top 30. A dozen years ago? No way.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rad, you're right. You're easily better than guys like Leh Keen, Paul Gerrard, Brian Smith, Rob Renc, Spencer Geswein Ron Adee and other obviously less talented folks who have competed and won in SCCAPRO, ALMS, FIA, and ACO. Guys who are official test drivers for car manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Not to mention winning OLOA. When you enter, I'll make sure all the teams know how little you think of them.

FYI, testing is called testing for a reason. If we wanted to kick everyone's *** in NASA time trials that would be underachieving.
Nick...don't tell me you were the GT2 all modded up that got creamed by the Boxster last weekend? My neighbor was just telling me about this...said it gave him hope in his old 996 3.4!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Ringers don't always get it done. Davia won 6 years in a row in his own car. Will Taylor beat my Ringer in 2009 in his own car. Leh Keen owns his GT-r that won in 2011. Catesby Jones owns his GT-r, Hugh Bates owns his GT-r both are 1st loosers.

I will give you more credit than Nick. I think you could finish in between 20 & 30 in the Coxster. But not in front of da Boss. . Bring the Fiat and you might make top 20 in this years field.

Peter
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Nick...don't tell me you were the GT2 all modded up that got creamed by the Boxster last weekend? My neighbor was just telling me about this...said it gave him hope in his old 996 3.4!
We weren't timing laps, just getting data from the CANBUS. Considering the fact it was literally a first shakedown run weekend I think we were successful, not racing in TT, just working on the car in a DE group to make sure all systems were 5x5 and that we're on the right path. Our cornering speeds are much faster than Rad knows, if you understand what sandbagging entails. No need to let other teams know where we stand. To say we were competing with a Boxster would be like saying we got a Honda flyby on the highway- I didn't even know we were competing, next time we supposedly are please tell me!

Like I said (not kidding at all) if we wanted to win NASA TT events that would be underachieving.

If you guys want to play around at a DE event after One Lap come out to Manication at Road America this year, I'll drive it hard there, and on MPSCs too.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 04-09-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Ringers don't always get it done. Davia won 6 years in a row in his own car. Will Taylor beat my Ringer in 2009 in his own car. Leh Keen owns his GT-r that won in 2011. Catesby Jones owns his GT-r, Hugh Bates owns his GT-r both are 1st loosers.

I will give you more credit than Nick. I think you could finish in between 20 & 30 in the Coxster. But not in front of da Boss. . Bring the Fiat and you might make top 20 in this years field.

Peter
Peter, who's driving your shinny new 5.0 this year? I'm actually very impressed with the performance the Boss 302 is showing. Acceleration at high speed is very good. The Ford Racing 302R and 302S are posting some smoking lap times at Daytona. I have considered to get into one, but the new FT86 looks like my type of car, high RPM, light and fun.

The Coxster with me doing the driving should be good for 20th-25th at best, by looking at the current 2012 line-up, but it could walk away with the SSGT1 Small Bore as there is only another car registered in class, an E36M3 (hardly a $50k+ car it should be a SSGT2 small bore). 1st place in a class of one car is a fish bowl victory.

Fiat is not ready for OLOA. I'm still making changes to it, brakes are almost done (cheap brake pads and rotors), waiting for the carbon fiber sealed cooling kit . Suspension is final, nothing else to change except a custom front adjustable sway bar I want Guy Ankeny to fabricate. Engine/tranny in final stage (bone stock). The body is where most of the work is going this season, the lack of rear downforce hurts me at most local track. There is another 150 lbs to get removed (easy weight removal) and it should be done.

I just got an invitation for the Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR this summer, I think I will give it a shot.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
Leh is one of my favorite drivers, and so is Randy Pobst. Pobst started as an autocrosser, Leh beats all the odds, and Leh is also a Fiat driver (at the Nurburgring 24h none the less).

Davia had a 2,000 Hp AWD 911 Turbo, with street tires, AWD is a big plus, he played smart by adding 2,000 lbs of downforce to the 996TT.

GTR is the perfect choice, AWD, Torque, drives on its own, and it just needs to work for 3 laps. It sucked at the wet skid pad which is unexplainable.

Your ringer lost due to a 10 secs penalty, otherwise he would have walked away with the Top Spot.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Love the banter. LOL. I'll be there. Won't win, can't win. I be grinning the whole way though and having a ball. I remember watching Brian Smaith drive the factory viper and being amazed by his skill and bravery. I will never be half that talented. I do OK at the DE grand prix in my $130k toy, those Miatas dont stand a chance. LOL.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Peter, who's driving your shinny new 5.0 this year? I'm actually very impressed with the performance the Boss 302 is showing. Acceleration at high speed is very good. The Ford Racing 302R and 302S are posting some smoking lap times at Daytona. I have considered to get into one, but the new FT86 looks like my type of car, high RPM, light and fun.

The Coxster with me doing the driving should be good for 20th-25th at best, by looking at the current 2012 line-up, but it could walk away with the SSGT1 Small Bore as there is only another car registered in class, an E36M3 (hardly a $50k+ car it should be a SSGT2 small bore). 1st place in a class of one car is a fish bowl victory.

Fiat is not ready for OLOA. I'm still making changes to it, brakes are almost done (cheap brake pads and rotors), waiting for the carbon fiber sealed cooling kit . Suspension is final, nothing else to change except a custom front adjustable sway bar I want Guy Ankeny to fabricate. Engine/tranny in final stage (bone stock). The body is where most of the work is going this season, the lack of rear downforce hurts me at most local track. There is another 150 lbs to get removed (easy weight removal) and it should be done.

I just got an invitation for the Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR this summer, I think I will give it a shot.
BOSS
Peter; Correct me if I'm wrong but Mr Sideways kinda shot down my hopes for the Boss? Not as track worthy as we hoped.

FT86
I think we should all order an FT86. Just springs, brake pads and safety upgrades. I think they would be fun, fun cars that we can just drive off the lot have 3 years of warranty and sell them.

FIAT
STILL TINKERING!? Sell, Coxter and Fiat, get beetle and FT86...

Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge at VIR
Rad, what's that. When's that. VIR is not on mancation, I am planning Sept Davd Murry....

All this OLOA makes me want to become a lap puppy.
The last 2 years Mancation got in the way, but I think next year it would be a light, easy version more relaxed of Mancation for us. Only 5000 miles and only a handfull of tracks that are new to us, easy peasy

I think I might sign up to follow the train in 2013 unless California Mancation gets in the way...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

All kidding aside, there's a reason why Peter and I are trying egg on the guys here- because when it's all said and done, we know you guys would love doing One Lap!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

All kidding aside, there's a reason why Peter and I are trying egg on the guys here- because when it's all said and done, we know you guys would love doing One Lap!
Truer words were never spoken. There is no way to describe the thrill of One Lap you just gotta do it.

Reter

Da Boss is really pretty good ask Randy about handling. The weak point is shifting when the tranny and clutch get hot. My diagnosis is weak clutch not allowing it to fully disengage when hot blocking shifting. I am installing an upgraded clutch next week to prove or disapprove this theory. It does sort of gripe me to do this but then I think about 7.2RS and their shifting/clutch problems and don't feel so bad

For those of you thinking about Nicks GT2 lap times at Sebring remember TraqMate's ability to do TBL's means you can sandbag a whole session but still get a meaningful idea of where you stand. Not saying Nick did that though.

Peter
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah that's what I'm doing...sandbagging the lowly GTS... you guys just wait, 1 day I'm going to shock ya...LOL ;-)

Quick Reply: OLOA Tire Choice