Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OLOA Tire Choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLOA Tire Choice

So I'm entered in the One Lap of America in the NB 2010 GT3. Oz Ultraleggy wheels. What tires should I choose? I am torn between the MPSS or RS3s. The RS3s seem to be a superior track tire in the dry but the MPSSs seem to be a better wet tire. It's probably going to rain the the mid-West in May. Last time it poured at Road America and there was carnage.

UTOQ has to be 140 or greater.

Any advice on those tires would be greatly appreciated. Pressure advice would be great too, remember that I'll only be doing about 3-4 laps per event so they won't have the chance to get too hot.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I was very impressed how my wife's new BMW 535 held onto the corners on MSS at PBIR!

Pretty sure it is a very good tires for OLOA.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

If ???? it's dry then the R-S3 is a very good choice. If it is wet then run the PSS best wet tire hands down. We will be on PSS.

Peter
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

RE11's? Seem very good to me on the track, plus good wet grip.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
RE11's? Seem very good to me on the track, plus good wet grip.
Yep the RE11 is another good option.

Peter
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The MPSS cost less...plus I'd trust Michelin over Hankook. Also don't forget about Bridgestone RE11....NJ-GT's fav alll around tire.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

RE11...in 245/305 is $1372...best price out of all of them plus the fronts are a tad bit wider too. I did notice the RE11 is heavier than MPSS.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with MPSS, they are harder (wear better) than RS3. RE-11 is a compromise between the RS3 and MPSS, the RS3 sticks better in the dry, the MPSS sticks better in the rain. RE-11 in the rain are not good, but they are better than RS3.
I run RE-11 in 2 of my cars, and I like them a lot, but for such a long trip as OLOA, I would choose the MPSS.

Keep in mind the points system, it heavily penalizes moving chicanes and mid-pack cars, RS3 in the wet skid pad would get crushed.

A 2010 GT3 with 235/305 MPSS should kill the wet skid pad, and you bag those points across the entire event.

Practice your drag starts, and you consistency on bracket drag racing. 3 events where you can get plenty of points.

Anyway, it isn't like you have a chance to win, given that a 2010 GT3 runs in the most competitive class.

Have fun.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Pilot Super Sports
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

I know that I have no chance of winning. There is a small question of talent that gets in the way. Respectable finish is what I am looking for.

The wet skid pad! I disagree that I will get proportionally more points there. I'll get crushed by 991 turbos and GTRs. 4WD in the wet will kill my rear engined pendulum.

I have considered disconnecting the front sway bar to get more front end traction in the skid pad (wet and dry). Any thoughts anyone?

Don't care about tire cost or longevity, but its seems that the consensus is either MPSSs or RE11s. I'll do some more research. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Bracket drag is only 35 points between 1st and last so no need to kill your 1/2 shafts with wheel hop. Porsche's can do real well in both wet and dry skid pad as has been proven in the past.

Peter

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Go with MPSS, they are harder (wear better) than RS3. RE-11 is a compromise between the RS3 and MPSS, the RS3 sticks better in the dry, the MPSS sticks better in the rain. RE-11 in the rain are not good, but they are better than RS3.
I run RE-11 in 2 of my cars, and I like them a lot, but for such a long trip as OLOA, I would choose the MPSS.

Keep in mind the points system, it heavily penalizes moving chicanes and mid-pack cars, RS3 in the wet skid pad would get crushed.

A 2010 GT3 with 235/305 MPSS should kill the wet skid pad, and you bag those points across the entire event.

Practice your drag starts, and you consistency on bracket drag racing. 3 events where you can get plenty of points.

Anyway, it isn't like you have a chance to win, given that a 2010 GT3 runs in the most competitive class.

Have fun.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
RE-11 in the rain are not good
My GT3 came with the RE11, and have driven them in the rain a lot, aas our winters are pretty much nothing but. These tires are excellent in the wet IMO, much better then MPs2 which I had on my C2S.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
I know that I have no chance of winning. There is a small question of talent that gets in the way. Respectable finish is what I am looking for.

The wet skid pad! I disagree that I will get proportionally more points there. I'll get crushed by 991 turbos and GTRs. 4WD in the wet will kill my rear engined pendulum.

I have considered disconnecting the front sway bar to get more front end traction in the skid pad (wet and dry). Any thoughts anyone?

Don't care about tire cost or longevity, but its seems that the consensus is either MPSSs or RE11s. I'll do some more research. Thanks.
1) check last year results in the wet skid pad. In my opinion a 911 2WD is one of the best cars in the rain. Notice what a Pro driver on a AWD GTR and MPSS tires did right there, and write down the points difference the cars at the top put over the overall winner.

2) Do not run RE-11 if you want a respectable finish. I have driven MPSS (almost a year) and RE-11 (over 2 years), RE-11 are not good in the rain at all. RE-11 stick a little better in the dry, but not a gigantic difference. You can't bet on dry conditions for the entire schedule, so RS3 is bad gambling.

3) Disconnect both sway bars, run the tires at 20 psi during the wet skid pad, and suspension on soft mode.

4) Reconnect your sway bars for the dry skid pad, run in soft suspension, get the tires back to their ideal pressures (34 psi front 38 psi rear on the MPSS).

5) Practice the light at your local drag strip, most people lose a drag race at the light, due to very poor reaction times, weather running brackets or heads-up.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
My GT3 came with the RE11, and have driven them in the rain a lot, aas our winters are pretty much nothing but. These tires are excellent in the wet IMO, much better then MPs2 which I had on my C2S.
If you think they are good in the rain (the GT3 with its mechanical LSD and lots of rear weight masks real tire performance), wait until you try MPSS in the rain.

PS2 are obsolete tires, more than 10 years old, so any comparison to them is meaningless. Today's high performance dry tires exceed PS2 grip in dry/wet, and they last longer too.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

If you are interested in a high overall placement, forget about bracket and skid pad. Bracket is way hard on the trans and engine. We won the bracket 11 years ago purely by accident, I'm sure the stress of that event compromised the car (DNF). To do the bracket right, set a fast ET for ET points, then just try to do two runs on the bracket (break out or DNS on third). You won't lose that many points on the bracket and you can get an early start on the road to the next event.

As for tires, the Hankooks were well received by my Mazda friends who competed for the last two years, and the MPSS seems to be the defacto standard today for One Lap. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either unless you are size limited. It's quite different from a decade ago when we had four or five good tires to choose from, plus all the cheater tires we could have special ordered with DOT carcasses and soft compound rubber.

Quick Reply: OLOA Tire Choice