Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

MPSS...
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If you think they are good in the rain (the GT3 with its mechanical LSD and lots of rear weight masks real tire performance), wait until you try MPSS in the rain.

PS2 are obsolete tires, more than 10 years old, so any comparison to them is meaningless. Today's high performance dry tires exceed PS2 grip in dry/wet, and they last longer too.
I have heard nothing but good things about them, I am sure I will if I were replacing my street tires today they would be the choice, however I don't seem to wear through street tires quickly. Track tires is another story though.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

ET drag is the only one that really counts and RT doesnt matter. As I said and Nick agreed don't bust the car on the Bracket Drag make a run to get minimum points and don't worry if you loose.

Rad,

Since you are an expert why don't you come this year and show us how it's done. We can always use some more Lap Puppy Cannon Fodder.

Peter.

1) check last year results in the wet skid pad. In my opinion a 911 2WD is one of the best cars in the rain. Notice what a Pro driver on a AWD GTR and MPSS tires did right there, and write down the points difference the cars at the top put over the overall winner.

2) Do not run RE-11 if you want a respectable finish. I have driven MPSS (almost a year) and RE-11 (over 2 years), RE-11 are not good in the rain at all. RE-11 stick a little better in the dry, but not a gigantic difference. You can't bet on dry conditions for the entire schedule, so RS3 is bad gambling.

3) Disconnect both sway bars, run the tires at 20 psi during the wet skid pad, and suspension on soft mode.

4) Reconnect your sway bars for the dry skid pad, run in soft suspension, get the tires back to their ideal pressures (34 psi front 38 psi rear on the MPSS).

5) Practice the light at your local drag strip, most people lose a drag race at the light, due to very poor reaction times, weather running brackets or heads-up.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
ET drag is the only one that really counts and RT doesnt matter. As I said and Nick agreed don't bust the car on the Bracket Drag make a run to get minimum points and don't worry if you loose.

Rad,

Since you are an expert why don't you come this year and show us how it's done. We can always use some more Lap Puppy Cannon Fodder.

Peter.
I need a co-driver to get me to each event, and all friends are always busy. I can take care of the track driving, but cannot take a full week off in between racetracks, so I need a mobile office (which I have).

Either the CTT in the SUV class or the Moving Chicane in the small engine class could do well. It would be nice to chase Aero Beetles at OLOA. No chance for top overall with these cars, but top in class chances are achievable.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I need a co-driver to get me to each event, and all friends are always busy. I can take care of the track driving, but cannot take a full week off in between racetracks, so I need a mobile office (which I have).

Either the CTT in the SUV class or the Moving Chicane in the small engine class could do well. It would be nice to chase Aero Beetles at OLOA. No chance for top overall with these cars, but top in class chances are achievable.
You don't know what competes in OLOA. A decade ago a Craftsman tube frame truck won(edit- okay, don't remember if Ron Adee won or not but it was definitely top 5). Cayenne is an also ran if the Big Dogs run.

People who compete on the sharp end of the grid in OLOA reconn every track on the schedule. You won't place top 30 without that experience. Rare exceptions may be Leh Keen, but then again he is in a hyper competitive car. He wouldn't be anywhere with a box stock Elantra either.

Enter a CTT, RS3.8, or GT3 if you just want to run for fun.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Nick

I think Brock told me Rons truck bogged the launch on the ET drag and lost the event at the strip.

You don't need to drive every track to be competitive but you do need an AutoX attitude ie. Know you car and be able to go flat out after 1 recon lap. The flat tracks like Autobahn, Mid America, and Motorsports Park Hastings are all Alan Wilson tracks which are easy for an AutoX to do well. The elevation change tracks such as Hallett, High Plains, and Road America are a little tougher need to watch a lot of video.

Rad

If all you need is a transit drover Brock can usually find somebody.

Peter

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
You don't know what competes in OLOA. A decade ago a Craftsman tube frame truck won(edit- okay, don't remember if Ron Adee won or not but it was definitely top 5). Cayenne is an also ran if the Big Dogs run.

People who compete on the sharp end of the grid in OLOA reconn every track on the schedule. You won't place top 30 without that experience. Rare exceptions may be Leh Keen, but then again he is in a hyper competitive car. He wouldn't be anywhere with a box stock Elantra either.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

In 2007 my Lap Puppy year we finished 16th overall and won our class SSGT1SB in an E46M3 with a dnf at Pueblo for a blown PS hose. The only tracks we had experience on were Pueblo and Mid Ohio. We did exceed our wildest expectations finishing that high

Peter
Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good hardware doesn't make good drivers.

I know a guy that a few days ago beat a modified 997 GT2 at Sebring with a 3.2 Boxster S on skinny 245 tires, by almost 5 seconds.

More often than not, good drivers beat good cars.

The lap times disparity at OLOA is gigantic, not the type of gap I'm used to see in 3 hot laps.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Rad, you're right. You're easily better than guys like Leh Keen, Paul Gerrard, Brian Smith, Rob Renc, Spencer Geswein Ron Adee and other obviously less talented folks who have competed and won in SCCAPRO, ALMS, FIA, and ACO. Guys who are official test drivers for car manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Not to mention winning OLOA. When you enter, I'll make sure all the teams know how little you think of them.

FYI, testing is called testing for a reason. If we wanted to kick everyone's *** in NASA time trials that would be underachieving.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I know a guy that a few days ago beat a modified 997 GT2 at Sebring with a 3.2 Boxster S on skinny 245 tires, by almost 5 seconds.

The lap times disparity at OLOA is gigantic, not the type of gap I'm used to see in 3 hot laps.
Silver Boxster S...time trial car?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rad, you're right. You're easily better than guys like Leh Keen, Paul Gerrard, Brian Smith, Rob Renc, Spencer Geswein Ron Adee and other obviously less talented folks who have competed and won in SCCAPRO, ALMS, FIA, and ACO. Guys who are official test drivers for car manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Not to mention winning OLOA. When you enter, I'll make sure all the teams know how little you think of them.

FYI, testing is called testing for a reason. If we wanted to kick everyone's *** in NASA time trials that would be underachieving.
Ouch...
Old 04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 85Gold;
Rad

If all you need is a transit drover Brock can usually find somebody.

Peter
All Rad needs is another excuse to not do One Lap, like "I can't figure out how to make street tires last 1000 miles with 3.5 degrees of camber" or "Fiats can't drive on highways for more than an hour or two at a time or they will spontaneously combust" or "how will I fit my two spare tires in the car?"
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rad...I'll drive your Fiat from event to event for you...have it all washed and shiny.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Yep good drivers beat good cars but good drivers and good cars win it all. Yes like any DE there are a lot of fast cars and slow drivers. There are also some Pro drivers who have shown up and had their *** handed to them because they thought they could take an avg car and whip up on the hoi poi. .

Peter
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

All Rad needs is another excuse to not do One Lap, like "I can't figure out how to make street tires last 1000 miles with 3.5 degrees of camber" or "Fiats can't drive on highways for more than an hour or two at a time or they will spontaneously combust" or "how will I fit my two spare tires in the car?"
ROFLMAO. Seems Mike, mdrums, just removed the I don't have a transit driver excuse from the table.

Peter

Quick Reply: OLOA Tire Choice