Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS 4.0 - a lot more than just 200cc

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
pmpsch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just put a Manthey lump in your 3.8. It'll pull harder and be faster than a 4.0, and be less than 1/2 the delta in terms of cost. Plus you'll get to fly over and test it on the Ring as well as humble the 4.0's at Sebring.

http://www.manthey-racing.de/nextsho...329&newsid=321

3.8 RS: 450hp; 317tq

4.0 RS: 500hp; 339tq

Manthey K510: 510-525hp; 365tq
yeah you must be right ...the 4.0 sucks afterall
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Simply sum up is like the OP's: I can't believe how much better the car is for all its small tweaks. Just feels totally dialed in, and that adds to driver confidence, and that means I suspect most drivers would benefit from the tweaks.

pete
Pete: Care to make a wager that you'll be saying similar things about the 991 GT3 RS?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think manthey is no longer installing 4.3L..
Where do I buy a 4.0 motor and will it just bolt in?

Dispite 911SLOW's best effords the Euro is still not on parity with the USD, but the Spaniards are doing a good job of helping us out. There is hope..

If i wanted an engine build i will definatly consider RS tuning over Manthey
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Senna, your going to be the fastest guy in green group with a 4.0 motor....
Oh Nick, don't worry. It won't happen. me not getting anything, I am done!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Pete: Care to make a wager that you'll be saying similar things about the 991 GT3 RS?
Nope, the future is too unpredictable.

Up until now, I have preferred the 996-2 GT3 (only 996 we got) to those that have come after it, have written as much, and have taken plenty of heat for it. Pretty sure the 991 GT3 RS will be faster than the RS 4.0. Will it "beat" the 4.0 in terms of fun factor and enjoyment? I don't know, but I hope so. But the bar has been set very, very, very high in my book. After a lot of time in the RS 3.8 last year, and the RS 3.6 before that (and the 997 GT2 in 2008, and the GT2 RS in 2011, and the GT3 3.6 and GT3 3.8...and tuner cars, and...), nothing prepared me for how utterly dialed in the 4.0 felt. Spring rates, PASM damping, suspension geometries, roll couple, alignment, grip...all brilliant and perfectly in balance.

I'll also differ from previous commentary in that I think the 4.0's improvements over the RS 3.8 actually make it more attractive to those of us with skills this side of Röhrl, Harris, etc. I found the 4.0 much more accessible, much more reassuring to drive quickly, to the point that I found myself traveling at speeds out in the boondocks I hadn't before, yet feeling more safe, not less safe, while doing so. YMMV, but the chassis tweaks made a world of difference for me. One sign of just how confidence-inspiring was the first whiffs of brake. A minor adjust on style prevented fade, but it caught me completely off guard with PCCBs — and this was not the usual well-hammered press car. We've gotten fade out there with iron-rotor GTs and Turbos, but never one with PCCBs. In fairness, it's a section that pounds brakes and never lets the car get up to enough speed for a long enough period to let them cool again, as on a track.

I just couldn't believe the 4.0's accessibility. It's close to the Boxster Spyder in terms of inspiring driver confidence and its ability to deal with lumps, bumps, input errors, yet way, way, way faster — and way, way, way more thrilling. As for pure "fun factor," it was off the charts. I didn't want to stop driving, even after a six-hour drive with no freeways. So I drove around the 'hood a bit, as a sort of 25-mph come down, and then washed the thing in the garage late into the night (neighbors must have thought me a bit loony). Cars like that are rare, even among Porsches when you experience enough of them. Call it genius beyond genius, magic, "right," whatever, but there is something that separates them from already stunning cars. I had told a friend that, while I couldn't be sure without driving one, I didn't think the RS 4.0 would be worth the trade up for him. He bought one anyway, and now I see he won the lottery.

pete
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
First post ever on the GT section .... My next car will be a GT3 RS ... With my novice driving skills, "even" a 996 GT3 is more car than I could ever want but I love the second gen 997 and at some point would be happy to buy a 3.8 from an enthusiast who is now lusting for a 4.0. I had a hard time between a boxster spyder vs GT3RS but given the PNW, it is hard to justify a convertible. So please keep me in mind.
Given what you've written, Spyder all the way. Even up there, in the PNW.

Or, Carrera GTS...

pete
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurbine
If i wanted an engine build i will definatly consider RS tuning over Manthey
All great but patience. Just several more weeks. Well if all other aspects of the project gel and merge together timely
There will be another to give a side glance at.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

just LISTEN to that Manthey 4.3 and akrapovic exhaust ... OMG ... its the engine equivalent of Charlese Theron and Scarlett Johannsen girl-on-girl action!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just LISTEN to that Manthey 4.3 and akrapovic exhaust ... OMG ... its the engine equivalent of Charlese Theron and Scarlett Johannsen girl-on-girl action!
Yup, this and a set of Exe-tc shocks and then let's see where the bar is set....
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Yup, this and a set of Exe-tc shocks and then let's see where the bar is set....
yep, that would be quite a car! ...
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Lets make it interesting shall we ...
say M&M headers & 90 mm exhaust system beyond the collecters and 4 way Ohlins
Gotta have fun

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

yep, that would be quite a car! ...
Add slicks and you could embarrass some CUP drivers at the Sebring at some races; Say the Mobil1 ALMS 12 hour race or something...

Kinda like the 24Hours of Nurburg, in the 3.8, only with 50 more HP.........

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Eddie. You should not ask for donations, we should ask for SPONSORS!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

in all honesty, i can relate to this 'feel' of engine pulling,but i can only tell you one thing - now after RS car go and try to get into a real cup car and try how that engine pulls and how it feels in a turn.

i tried 996 cup car only once at one event and now i do not really care about any RS cars anymore and that is after i got all finances ready to buy one. RS is good, but, it is not it, it is not a gt3 cup.
and for me - both RS and cup would not be drivable on a street, so, there is no point to suffer all those 'intermediate' stages. imho, if you do want a real porsche for track fun - there is only one out there and it is a cup car.
and i do beleive it will be cheaper to buy a real cup car to begin with than to buy a street legal gt3 and gradually rebuild it into a cup-like something. it is just not worth it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great description! I agree.

Die näher an der Quelle besser ist das Wasser

The closer to the source the better the water
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back on topic ....

Donations ???

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 - a lot more than just 200cc