Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS 4.0 - a lot more than just 200cc

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 RS 4.0 - a lot more than just 200cc

Well today I had the opportunity to drive Mr. Cuatro Punto Cero's maritime blue, during tests and to the Palm Beach raceway.
The impressions are from someone that drives a 2011 GT3RS, and I could consider my car well sorted, but really close to stock form engine wise.
The 4.0 is a well sorted car and became a lot better after Orbit's upgrades, but I'll let the owner expose his impressions when the time comes.
I just got back home and still amazed how different both cars are.
Chassi wise I would say that are pretty much the same on the streets, but the 4.0 felt really solid and responsive with the new springs.
And of course the feel richer effect, as I was driving THE maritime blue 4.0
All jokes on a side, i can't stop thinking about the way that engine pulls. The first memory and feel that came to me was from my 996GT2, without turbo lag. Yes the car pulls that hard.
No laziness found on low RPMs like in the 3.8
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the 3.8 has a few flat spots and the engine is very lazy to rev at lower RPMs, even the heel and toe is different when driving around 2500 RPMs. You need to keep you foot on throttle in order to raise the rpm and lower the gear. Definetely not linear. That always bothered me, but I can live with as I don't usually drive the car at those RPMs.
The 4.0 is just light and linear and torquye, strong and pulls and pulls and pulls...
Worth every penny, never thought that the engine could be that much better, but yes it is.
I really wanted to know what really changed in the car, because it is not possible that the 200cc changed the characteristics of the engine that much.
Heads must be different, flow, cams, lift, etc....
Long story short, my car is for sale and so is my kidney
I need a 4.0. As my friend Peter would say, I'm loosing the will to live.

In the following weeks I'll post the link for the charity website where you will be able to buy a wrist band to help the cause, just like lance armstrong.
This is the best reason for charity. 1.00 from each one of the members should take me there in a few months.
Come on guys ... Let's make it happen.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 AM
MariusRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll donate a buck. Hell I'll give you 5. Lol
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 AM
jenk12m
Banned

i seen it for myself at sebring when i was foot to the floor in 5th gear and 4.0 got around with ease.

need to know what cheater mods have been added
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marius, that's the mentality, with help like that I will be able to afford the 4.0 and the baller 997 cup you have
Nice driving tonight, very easy, smooth and calm. Congrats !

Mike I'll send you an email tomorrow. Very simple things but really effective
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Back off Mr!

I see your charity and I raise you a 50% discount.

Please PayPal me half a dollar each.

I just need the 4L motor to put in the super light 6. You can keep the heavy body , decals, PASM, PSM, variable steering, 19 CLs and red interior.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

The motor of 4.0 is brilliant just want that. Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 AM
pmpsch
Instructor

Can't comment on the 3.8 as I never drove one but I had some (safe in a relatively empty public street in Dubai) fun chasing a 997.2 TT PDK with my 4.0 and was able to keep up with him on accelerating from a stand still for about 200m before we had to stop at a traffic light (kids do not reproduce the stunt ) Amazing pull from the 4.0 which engine is still not open (first 1000km driven below 5k rpm now going to 6.5k rpm ish)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 AM
gtdoggie
Advanced

Yup! I thankfully made the switch to the 4.0 from a 3.8RS and have compared the two in many previous posts. The 4.0 is an amazing engine and does feel like so much more than the 200cc's or the lap times suggest. It is nice to hear this from someone who has actually driven the car and can compare. I loved the 3.8 but the 4.0 RS is a masterpiece! It pulls with turbo like torque but in a NA engine. Yes the $$ delta was not pleasant and is hard to rationally justify but for those of us who love these GT3's, the chance to own, enjoy and drive one of these icons makes it well worth it. The 4.0 is an extremely special car.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Well today I had the opportunity to drive Mr. Cuatro Punto Cero's maritime blue, during tests and to the Palm Beach raceway.
The impressions are from someone that drives a 2011 GT3RS, and I could consider my car well sorted, but really close to stock form engine wise.
The 4.0 is a well sorted car and became a lot better after Orbit's upgrades, but I'll let the owner expose his impressions when the time comes.
Chassi wise I would say that are pretty much the same on the streets, but the 4.0 felt really solid and responsive with the new springs.
All jokes on a side, i can't stop thinking about the way that engine pulls. The first memory and feel that came to me was from my 996GT2, without turbo lag. Yes the car pulls that hard.
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the 3.8 has a few flat spots and the engine is very lazy to rev at lower RPMs, even the heel and toe is different when driving around 2500 RPMs. You need to keep you foot on throttle in order to raise the rpm and lower the gear. Definetely not linear. That always bothered me, but I can live with as I don't usually drive the car at those RPMs.
The 4.0 is just light and linear and torquye, strong and pulls and pulls and pulls...
Worth every penny, never thought that the engine could be that much better, but yes it is.
I really wanted to know what really changed in the car, because it is not possible that the 200cc changed the characteristics of the engine that much.

In the following weeks I'll post the link for the charity website where you will be able to buy a wrist band to help the cause, just like lance armstrong.
This is the best reason for charity. 1.00 from each one of the members should take me there in a few months.
i donate $5.
there are still a lot of RS4.0 out there to buy.
you should get one.
then reter and randy are dead meat.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdoggie
Yup! I thankfully made the switch to the 4.0 from a 3.8RS and have compared the two in many previous posts. The 4.0 is an amazing engine and does feel like so much more than the 200cc's or the lap times suggest. It is nice to hear this from someone who has actually driven the car and can compare. I loved the 3.8 but the 4.0 RS is a masterpiece! It pulls with turbo like torque but in a NA engine. Yes the $$ delta was not pleasant and is hard to rationally justify but for those of us who love these GT3's, the chance to own, enjoy and drive one of these icons makes it well worth it. The 4.0 is an extremely special car.
+1
Had my first drive on Wednesday and was really impressed with the same distinctions I felt vs my '11RS....I believe it's going to only get better as I put on the Km's and get more seat time with it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Just put a Manthey lump in your 3.8. It'll pull harder and be faster than a 4.0, and be less than 1/2 the delta in terms of cost. Plus you'll get to fly over and test it on the Ring as well as humble the 4.0's at Sebring.

http://www.manthey-racing.de/nextsho...329&newsid=321

3.8 RS: 450hp; 317tq

4.0 RS: 500hp; 339tq

Manthey K510: 510-525hp; 365tq

Last edited by Nizer; 04-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i donate $5.
there are still a lot of RS4.0 out there to buy.
you should get one.
then reter and randy are dead meat.

are you sure about that? I only see one at Carlsen.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

+1 that K510 sounds amazing ... if anyone wants a copy of the article about it PM me I will e-mail you a PDF.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR

begs the question what it would take to retrofit the 4.0 springs to a 3.8?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just put a Manthey lump in your 3.8. It'll pull harder and be faster than a 4.0, and be less than 1/2 the delta in terms of cost. Plus you'll get to fly over and test it on the Ring as well as humble the 4.0's at Sebring.

http://www.manthey-racing.de/nextsho...329&newsid=321

3.8 RS: 450hp; 317tq

4.0 RS: 500hp; 339tq

Manthey K510: 510-525hp; 365tq
I think manthey is no longer installing 4.3L..
Where do I buy a 4.0 motor and will it just bolt in?

Dispite 911SLOW's best effords the Euro is still not on parity with the USD, but the Spaniards are doing a good job of helping us out. There is hope..

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 - a lot more than just 200cc