Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Go Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go Pro

Looking for ideas of how to mount a GoPro camera in my new GT3. No roll bars and PCA Potomac does not permit window mounts.

Thanks.

Rob in Potomac
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in Potomac
Looking for ideas of how to mount a GoPro camera in my new GT3. No roll bars and PCA Potomac does not permit window mounts.

Thanks.

Rob in Potomac
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-GoP...ductinfo/PH01/
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those rennline mounts on the front and back of my car with their tow hooks. Very good design and they work great, but stupid expensive for what they are.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I picked one up over the winter and will be trying it out this weekend at Summit
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

The rennline hook's a bit off-center when mounted to the front bumper. The true direction of the car is somewhere between 10 & 11 o'clock in your resultant videos...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 AM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob in Potomac

Thanks.

Rob in Potomac
Inside, there's not really many options that wouldn't be destructive or non-reversible.

What kind of seats do you have? If you have the "regular" seats with the hook in the back you can try this... I just put this together for my 997.2 S so I can mount my GoPro right behind the seat.

Bought an extra plastic hook piece for ~$10, and screwed a 3/4" square stick of wood onto it (painted it gray). The GoPro is held on via a tripod mount that is bolted on the end of the stick. Vibration isn't bad, more due to the play in the seat than the mount/stick. Might try mounting the camera closer in to see if that helps.

Everything is attached by screws/bolts, but I wouldn't put anything weighing more than a GoPro or bullet cam on this.
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ I applaud the ingenuity of your design, but having a loose object like that is a safety hazard on track. I for one wouldn't want a stick located THAT close me or my passenger's head/neck area...

I can see from your pic that you probably don't have a better location to mount behind your seats (absent a cage). How bout a dash suction mount? Alternatively, velcro to the back of your mirror?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRex
^ I applaud the ingenuity of your design, but having a loose object like that is a safety hazard on track. I for one wouldn't want a stick located THAT close me or my passenger's head/neck area...

I can see from your pic that you probably don't have a better location to mount behind your seats (absent a cage). How bout a dash suction mount? Alternatively, velcro to the back of your mirror?
Window mounts not permitted and mirror is actually worse than window, in the event of crash. Maybe outside mount is only choice.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
I wouldn't call it "loose", but it's relative in that it's not as solidly mounted as if it was made completely out of metal and bolted to a roll bar. But I think it would beat a suction cup mount, it feels much more secure than I thought it would.

But I do see your point about it being a stick. Will probably shorten it anyway to reduce vibration. And I'd point out that it's only a few inches more forward than a roll bar.

Just to note for me personally, my primary track car is the 6GT3 which has a roll bar, seats, and 6-points. So for me, this contraption in the 997.2S is not for hard core track duty anyway.

Quick Reply: Go Pro