Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Schroth Profi HANS shoulder straps WITHOUT HANS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Schroth Profi HANS shoulder straps WITHOUT HANS?

Searched and read a number of threads regarding this topic here and on other forums.
What's the final word on safety using a Profi II HANS shoulder belt setup WITHOUT a HANS device? Safe or not safe?

Reference was made on a Lotus forum to Schroth themselves saying it was now deemed fine to use the narrower 2" shoulder straps without a HANS device. I can't seem to find this reference.
But pretty much everywhere else says this is unsafe.

I know everyone is saying just use a HANS and stop asking asinine questions Well, I would still like the flexibility of using one or not. If 3" belts are the only way to do that, then I may have to go that route. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't see why 2" would be unsafe. Might dig in the the flesh a bit more, but so what, you're still not going anywhere.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Can't see why 2" would be unsafe. Might dig in the the flesh a bit more, but so what, you're still not going anywhere.
My thoughts as well but I've read some pretty adamant opinions that 2" belts are a definite no-no without a HANS. Perhaps an unsafe distribution of load?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

just bought a set myself - HANS for driver, non-HANS for pass - and researched the same thing beforehand. every reputable source, including installers, indy shops, as well as HMS motorsport - who are schroth dealers in MA and where i bought mine - said same thing: dont do it. the thinner belts themselves could cause elevated injuries, etc.

one note tho: while everyone i spoke to agreed on the above, there was also consensus that a HANS device can be used just fine with "regular" belts. the idea behind the thinner belts was that the larger belt overhang was annoying to some so they cut an inch off. but the thick belts are just as safe to use.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Exactly what I've read. My concern is that overhang and possible annoying/unsafe slippage of the belts from the device. I realize HANS technology was developed with 3" belts, but I would prefer to have a better fit while maintains the ability to NOT use the device.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use the HANS belts without a HANS device. The narrower belts don't distribute weight transfer over a large enough area, and injuries result. If you won't always use a HANS device, get the 3" belts.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO, using harnesses without a hans device is a very bad idea.

Just ask all the guys with neck injuries that used harnesses before hans was invented.

$600 for a hans is way cheaper than any hospital or PT bill.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polarcharger
Don't use the HANS belts without a HANS device. The narrower belts don't distribute weight transfer over a large enough area, and injuries result. If you won't always use a HANS device, get the 3" belts.
Again, this is what I've heard, but I've also heard to the contrary.

Originally Posted by mobonic
IMO, using harnesses without a hans device is a very bad idea.

Just ask all the guys with neck injuries that used harnesses before hans was invented.

$600 for a hans is way cheaper than any hospital or PT bill.
Don't disagree at all. I'm presenting a 'what if' scenario.

Post #15 in this thread is the reference made to Schroth and the safety of 2" belts without a HANS. Again, he doesn't cite a source, but at least he's an instructor, so hopefully he's not talking completely out of his ****
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
just bought a set myself - HANS for driver, non-HANS for pass - and researched the same thing beforehand. every reputable source, including installers, indy shops, as well as HMS motorsport - who are schroth dealers in MA and where i bought mine - said same thing: dont do it. the thinner belts themselves could cause elevated injuries, etc.
i'm quoting my own post to refute it. so i just called HMS (for another issue) and decided to ask again about wearing a HANS belt with no HANS. well, i guess i misspoke about the fact that i had gotten their opinion on the issue, as i was just told that they "originally thought the thinner belt would contribute to injuries and more bruising but their testing showed that just wasn't the case".

sorry for any confusion. but i DID do research and all those i polled said the same thing - not to do it. i'm just mistaken about HMS being one of them. HOWever, in light of this, i'm inclined to believe HMS as they seem the most knowledgable about this particular product.

in any event, i will always run HANS belts with a HANS device. if i decide ever not to wear the device, i can temporarily switch over the passenger belts to my seat.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

^^Thanks for the update! Jives with what the Lotus forum was saying.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
taffin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no data to support either way, but I am using 2" Scroth Profi II HANS. I have used with and without the HANS, felt comfortable and secure in the seat both ways. GT3 Cup Racer, multiple UAE champion and our P.Club president said it was fine to use the 2" will adapting to HANS + Harnesses + Bucket seats etc etc.

But as said by someone else, have belts? Use device! But I am still adjusting to using the HANS, so occasionally do not use it. But that is changing, one issue I have identified is that to be more comfortable using the HANS I need a lighter helmet. But very difficult to find weights on manufacturers sites.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Ended up with the Profi II HANS on the drivers side and Profi II with 3" shoulder belts on the passenger side.
I 'think' the consensus among the experts is that the Profi HANS belts are okay to use without a HANS device, although using either a 2" or 3" belt without a HANS is in general not a good idea.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm confused. You have a HANS device. You have HANS 2" shoulder belts. You want to use the belts without the HANS. What situation would call for using harnesses but no HANS? Trying to understand the logic here.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'm confused. You have a HANS device. You have HANS 2" shoulder belts. You want to use the belts without the HANS. What situation would call for using harnesses but no HANS? Trying to understand the logic here.
I actually don't have a HANS device yet but plan on getting one soon. My question was posed more as a hypothetical. I don't plan on wearing the harness without the HANS but who knows what unforeseen scenario may arise where for some reason I can't use one. Not sure what that would be but I wanted to know if the 2" belts offered that flexibility.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

When I bought my harness I called Schroth and asked them this very question. I didn't have a HANS yet but planned to get one reasonably soon, and therefore wanted the 2". The guy I spoke with said no issue using the 2" belt without HANS. HE said (not me) it might not be as comfy but no issue as far as safety. ?????

Quick Reply: Schroth Profi HANS shoulder straps WITHOUT HANS?