Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Schroth Profi HANS shoulder straps WITHOUT HANS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look, it is a simple matter of physics. With a 2" harness and no HANS, whatever forces will be present (lbs./sq-in) will be greater on your collar bone, ribs etc..... much less your head snapping forward. Your head weighs 8 lbs or so and just use an estimated speed at impact of 60 mph and you will get a force well beyond your ability to stop your head from snapping forward and causing serious injury.

1/3 less surface area available to distribute the load will equal a greater load on your body. Why take the risk? I have used 3" harnesses with my HANS as well as a 2" harnesses and the improvement is not worth the risk of using 2" without a HANS. In the end, wear a HANS.

I am able to write this posting because a HANS literally saved my life 2 years ago.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is a silly question but wouldn't the airbag in a street GT3 run at the track save the same purpose as the HANS?

I am having issues with my neck now without a HANS, now that I am running R6s and harnesses. I imagine that the added weight of a HANS would make my neck issue way worse. I wasn't going to get a HANS as it seemed that the airbag would save me.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
I actually don't have a HANS device yet but plan on getting one soon. My question was posed more as a hypothetical. I don't plan on wearing the harness without the HANS but who knows what unforeseen scenario may arise where for some reason I can't use one. Not sure what that would be but I wanted to know if the 2" belts offered that flexibility.
Makes sense.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flexibility?

I know everyone is saying just use a HANS and stop asking asinine questions Well, I would still like the flexibility of using one or not. If 3" belts are the only way to do that, then I may have to go that route. Thanks.
I posted this before about crash dummy test without HANS. That should answer your question!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
Sorry if this is a silly question but wouldn't the airbag in a street GT3 run at the track save the same purpose as the HANS?

I am having issues with my neck now without a HANS, now that I am running R6s and harnesses. I imagine that the added weight of a HANS would make my neck issue way worse. I wasn't going to get a HANS as it seemed that the airbag would save me.

Any thoughts?
Many schools of thought. These are mine.

1. Airbag with full face helmet is supposed to be a BIG no-no... If the airbag ignites into your helmet the chin bar will get launched into your face. That won't feel good at all (probably break a few bones).

2. Airbag will probably save you after you have a basal skull fracture. IOW, after the harness does it's work and keeps you in the seat, and after the helmet carries your head far enough to break your neck, the airbag will deploy far enough to create a nice cushion.

Now, I still use a full face helmet with shield down even in a tin top car. My biggest concern on the track isn't crashing into the wall which can happen, but rather, debris flying up from other cars into my windshield, going through it, and into the driver's area, causing a crash.

On your other point concerning weight of HANS on your neck, it's not on your neck but on your shoulders. The top of the HANS device is up against the back of the helmet and that may cause discomfort but the actual weight is negligible.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Nick, that's a great summary on the pros of using a HANS. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What Nick said.

A) The weight of the HANS disappears once you are strapped in. Harness should be tight enough to immobilize you in the seat. HANS is between the belts and you; doesn't matter how heavy it is (within reason), it's the "weight" (pressure) of the belts pulling you back that you will feel.

B) Don't understand the reason for having different harnesses for driver and passenger. No ifs or buts, if you strap in with a harness, you need a HANS device to prevent your neck from snapping when you come to a sudden stop and your body is immobilized in the seat. Doesn't matter if you're sitting on the left or on the right. If you don't have a HANS, use the 3-point.

If you have a bucket seat that has the openings for a harness, odds are that it will support you plenty by itself, and the 3-point is there just in case, ready to work with the airbags, as a system. Yeah, it's not the best support, but $hit happens, don't risk it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ended up with the Profi II HANS on the drivers side and Profi II with 3" shoulder belts on the passenger side.
....using either a 2" or 3" belt without a HANS is in general not a good idea.
+1+
I use same set up with Hans and 2" belts
Although it took me some time to get comfortable with the gear, you can never be too safe out there.
Be mindful everyone.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

++++++++++++++++++1
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
lopro
Banned

I think hanz should be a must have and I think it will be over tiime. It's just smart to have one. the neck cannot support the weight of a persons head with a helmet when your stopped suddenly in the event of an accident or crash. Being strapped into a seat leaves your head nowhere to go but forward and the neck takes all the weight. Hanz prevents it as shown in the video. MUST HAVE! to me its like banging a hooker you know has aids and your asking yourself should I wear a rubber or... not

2" belts just fit the hanz design better and will not slide off or get in the way. Wear a rubber, i mean use your hanz
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

izzone runs with a hans, you should PM and ask him.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i find it strange...
the car we drive are 100k.
a hans is less than $1000
if you don't have hans or something similar, stay home don't risk it on the track.
i sound like an a hole, but really, try drive your car straight into a wall and see what it is like. everyone should try it sometimes. i did. i wish i can wear 10 hans the same time.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i find it strange...
the car we drive are 100k.
a hans is less than $1000
if you don't have hans or something similar, stay home don't risk it on the track.
i sound like an a hole, but really, try drive your car straight into a wall and see what it is like. everyone should try it sometimes. i did. i wish i can wear 10 hans the same time.
I would imagine that would be quite bulky?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
lopro
Banned

try drive your car straight into a wall and see what it is like. everyone should try it sometimes. i did.
thats why giesha is so broken in

Quick Reply: Schroth Profi HANS shoulder straps WITHOUT HANS?