Originally Posted by Izzone
For me on the trip

1) mosport
2) road America
3) tremblant
4) njmp lightning
5) calabogie
6) autobahn
You guys ran Thunderbolt at NJMP, correct?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, he meant Thunderbolt.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,908 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Got some great news. My RS does NOT have a blown engine. Removed the engine and trans Friday. Found that the flywheel had come loose and got stuck. Much cheaper fix than a new engine.
That's the kind of call you like getting from your tech.

Are you upgrading to 4.0 clutch and PP or was that already done?

Edit: Just saw response. Does it seem a bit suspect that upgrade was done and flywheel came loose? Normally don't touch flywheel with clutch and pp change, correct?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

Got some great news. My RS does NOT have a blown engine. Removed the engine and trans Friday. Found that the flywheel had come loose and got stuck. Much cheaper fix than a new engine.
Great news!!

Such a wonderful Mancation. I would do this every year.

* Trackcar/Flatout for bringing me tires and booking my hotel rooms and setting up the whole Mancation (and drunken nightly entertainment)

Sorry if I forgot anyone.

Again, thanks everyone that made it all happen!!!!

Clarke & Sly
I aim to please, drive a lot and get drunk. Mission accomplished.

Originally Posted by cwhota
So now you can buy the good laptimer !!!! seriously super good news
And a proper trailer.

Originally Posted by Nizer
That's the kind of call you like getting from your tech.

Are you upgrading to 4.0 clutch and PP or was that already done?

Edit: Just saw response. Does it seem a bit suspect that upgrade was done and flywheel came loose? Normally don't touch flywheel with clutch and pp change, correct?
First I heard of flywheel issues, may be damaged when PP went last time.
Still it probably helps if Clarke stops putting it in first gear at 140MPH..
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clarke has a 3.8 gt3 not RS so the OE flywheel is a different lightened dual-mass flywheel than the RS - Clarke will know if they put in the single mass flywheel. The dual-mass flywheel coming apart may have been the critical part that saved the engine.

These money shift experiments are interesting - sometimes it has been the weaker flywheel exploding that saves the engine, possibly in this case it was the dual-mass non-RS flywheel that may have helped. For those with the 4.0 upgraded clutch and a single mass flywheel you are likely relying on your left foot to save it as the PP likely won't grenade.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
cwhota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Clarke has a 3.8 gt3 not RS so the OE flywheel is a different lightened dual-mass flywheel than the RS - Clarke will know if they put in the single mass flywheel. The dual-mass flywheel coming apart may have been the critical part that saved the engine.

These money shift experiments are interesting - sometimes it has been the weaker flywheel exploding that saves the engine, possibly in this case it was the dual-mass non-RS flywheel that may have helped. For those with the 4.0 upgraded clutch and a single mass flywheel you are likely relying on your left foot to save it as the PP likely won't grenade.
Wrong car, we are talking about his white GT3RS that did'nt make it to mosport, he has both.... Blacky was for Sly at the start of the trip
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just got back home last night after driving 5 hours on Friday and 12 hours yesterday.

The truck held up great, pretty much pedal to the floor the whole way the entire trip. No tickets.
On the first day of the trip we had a slow leaking trailer tire, but that was solved with a new tire just 5 hours into the 4 week trip.

Yesterday morning the truck got broken into by shooting a bolt through the driver side back windowand only Randy's scale model of an RS was stolen??!! Better the model toy than the 2 real ones in the trailer I guess.. Our bags were searched but laptops, Gopro's were not taken?? Glass everywhere, but we vacumed it all out and Randy taped up the window. A bit noisy but it held well driving home concidering going 95Mph. Damage probably does not exceed deductable, so I will have to pay out of pocket :-( Too bad they did not set of the alarm, the airhorn could have gotten them caught.

Besides the truck damage everything went very well concidering we drove 5000 truck miles, 1800 track miles in 15 track days and used questionable judgement at best every step of the way.

No spins, not even 2 wheels off, PP held and did not emberass ourselves at any of the tracks.

Previously visited track on last years' Mancation; Autobahn, Road America and Mosport were all worth revisiting and we improved our laptimes over last year.

New tracks visited:

Calabogie; I looked for bears, but did not see any. Never got up to speed, by the time I was signed of Solo my rythm was pussyfied and not enough solo time to really learn the track after that. I have to drive it more to properly judge, but it seems to be more of a motorcycle track. Not much run off and log decreasing radius corners makes for a tougher learning curve.

Tremblant; Great people, great town, great food, great track. What more do you want? I was a bit slow getting up to speed, a flat tire first session and a loose sway bar did not help. Must revisit to set a proper laptime.

NJMP Thunderbolt; Great facility, you only leave to go to bed and they even have condo's for rent. Member day is awesome, They serve great breakfast lunch and dinner, even track side chair massages in the lounge. Fun track, the octopus corners are a bit annoying, but not as annoying as the Calabogie tight corners. Lots of run off room, great club and fun track.
Too bad it was 98F at NJMP, I have to concider a cool suit for summer track days, even up north. Would love to do a mancation with just The Glen, Monticello (Never been) , NJMP (both tracks) and Lime rock (never been).

This is great, I keep scratching off bucket list items, but keep adding at the same rate. Let's hope Trakcar.2 will hold up for many more track days and mancations.
Attached Images    
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

great news on rs!

and thanks for the stories and videos!!!!

good work!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

crap news about the truck; that's not very nice!

good to hear everyone back home and safe.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM
cwhota
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yesterday morning the truck got broken into by shooting a bolt through the driver side back windowand only Randy's scale model of an RS was stolen??!! Better the model toy than the 2 real ones in the trailer I guess.. Our bags were searched but laptops, Gopro's were not taken?? Glass everywhere, but we vacumed it all out and Randy taped up the window. .
That is very bizzare, taking a model car and not a Laptop, Kids maybe !!! or got disturb...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

another enviable trackation!
sorry about the truck, but overall not bad.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Glad to hear the engine is ok Clarke.

Peter, sorry to hear about the truck but the trip was a success and I was glad to be apart of half of it
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Great news for Clarks GT3RS!

Peter I hate to hear things like car/truck break in's at hotels. Which hotel and where?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Great news, Clarke! Sorry about the break-in, Peter.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Great news for Clarks GT3RS!

Peter I hate to hear things like car/truck break in's at hotels. Which hotel and where?
Rocky Hill NC Holiday Inn.
Still have not been able to get in touch with the manager to see if they have insurance or even care.. No big deal, just annoying.

I hope the car cleans up tomorrow:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Mancation; Road America-Calabogie-Tremblant-Mosport....OH CANADA