Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DIY Coolant Fitting Fix with Motor In the Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
I apologize if this has been asked already, but is it possible to also replace the (2) plastic coolant elbows with the sharkwerks elbows with the engine still in the car?

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=386
yes, I've seen my local tech do it twice.
not fun, but doable.
but then he has 35+ years experience too.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:03 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by chiffonade
looks like this thread got resurrected.

can anyone recommend a shop in the LA area that will do this upgrade with the engine in the car?

thanks!
and brought to the top again.
Thanks Steve W, I'll use this as a guide when I perform engine out playtime this winter.

Craig
Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Thank you, Steve, for this write up. I just found it!

One trick I might add with respect to keeping the risk of metal chips getting into the coolant passages, instead of a normal tap, use a thread forming tap. These are available from McMaster-Carr. (link to 8-32 UNC)

Thread forming taps compress the material to form the threads instead of cutting them. That means no chips!

The downside is you require a larger drill for the hole. For an 8-32 thread you need a #25 drill.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Guys, glad to hear this thread has been helpful, and a bit surprised to see it's still going on 6 years later! cheers
Old 05-02-2018, 11:42 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

BTW - Just had motor dropped this week to do a rear main seal, clutch assembly, and sharkwerks pipes. Inspection of the in-car pinning job I did showed no leaks after a few thousand miles.

Thank you Steve!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve W
Guys, glad to hear this thread has been helpful, and a bit surprised to see it's still going on 6 years later! cheers
This thread should be mandatory reading for 997 owners! Thanks Steve, greatly appreciate your leadership.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
BTW - Just had motor dropped this week to do a rear main seal, clutch assembly, and sharkwerks pipes. Inspection of the in-car pinning job I did showed no leaks after a few thousand miles.

Thank you Steve!!!

I see you are in Florida...where did you get the work done if you don't mind me asking.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
I see you are in Florida...where did you get the work done if you don't mind me asking.
The pinning of the pipes I did myself.

Wasnt bad once you have all the tools.

The clutch/rear main deal/sharkwerks pipes were done by Porsche Jacksonville.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Streetmasters
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone in the Houston, TX and/or surrounding areas know of any shops they can recommend that have performed this work successfully? I realize this is a DIY. Props to Steve for the amazing write up.
Cheers
Jz

*Edit: Spoke to Rennsport, all good.*

Last edited by Streetmasters; 08-06-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Found a shop based on recommendations on the forum.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Fecotrentini
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm droping my 07' 997TT engine this week due to a minor coolant leak - seems like its the plastic elbow failure - and will do the pinning following this DIY.

For the record, never tracked the car and has 17k miles

Thanks Steve
Old 10-04-2018, 11:13 PM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, no tracking whatsoever, only 17k miles of driving on the street and already a coolant leak that seems to be from a failing plastic elbow.

Although I am relatively new to the world of Porsche GT's and despite having previously used the "search" function rather extensively in search of an answer, I was unable to ever ascertain if any attorney who specialized in class action lawsuits [and of course owned a Porsche with this widespread manufacturing defect, not to mention routinely perused this forum], had ever weighed in on whether or not this matter possibly merited being addressed from a class action lawsuit standpoint?...I am guessing the answer might be in that enormously long sticky about the subject, that I tried to wade through before finally giving up at the 80th comment or thereabouts...it just seems absurd that something that routinely rears its head at track events [not to mention with street driving too apparently], thereby putting anyone and their vehicle behind a Porsche dumping its coolant all over the track/street in harms way, does not mandate that the manufacturer be obliged to issue a formal recall to correct this widespread problem at their expense!?

These days there seem to be successful class action suits for things that one would think hardly merited the trouble of filing...but in this case, not only does it involve a well known potentially dangerous automotive defect, something where seemingly in the past often just the threat of a class action suit against many automotive companies would bring manufacturers to the table, but in this case the corrective action of needing to pin the coolant pipes usually requires removal of the engine and thus represents a hefty expense for the owner.

I am reminded that in 1989 or 1990 and within a year of my having purchased a 1988 BMW M5, I received a letter saying I could expect to receive a cash settlement of, as best I now recall, something like one or two thousand dollars...which represented an agreed to settlement with a female attorney who owned a 1988 M5 and who threatened to file/or had filed a class action suit against BMW for importing 1200 1988 M5's and not the maximum 600 hundred or so that BMW had first advertised...her argument being that in doing so BMW had diluted the exclusivity and eventual value of M5's purchased by the first six hundred of us...while of course I happily cashed that check, I nonetheless could not help but wonder about the merits of such a lawsuit to begin with.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel like this should be a sticky, with the influx of new members that refuse to pay to get such a service done. If they were aware that it can be done so economically maybe they would choose to do so.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM
boxhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Steve. Great write up!

For anyone who's actually done it, what do you think about only drilling to 6.5mm, as to not pierce the fitting and no chance shavings could enter into coolant system. It would be easy with a drill bit stop. It's not as strong as a through pin, but if it got .5mm penetration seems that would be plenty strong enough.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There's lots of room to work in the engine compartment after you move some of the equipment out of the way! 2007 turbo

The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice thread. Looking to pin-in-place (2008 turbo). Anybody in NNJ have this done?

Quick Reply: DIY Coolant Fitting Fix with Motor In the Car