Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dynoed the 4.0 (updated with 3.8 vs 4.0 chart)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
I had a 997.1 GT3, a 997.2 RS, and now a 4.0. Unfortunately I got the 4.0 late in the fall and didn't get a chance to spend a lot of time in it (300 miles maybe), but there are some immediate differences between it and the 3.8. Low-end power is noticeably stronger, and I suspect will get better once the engine gets 1200+ miles on it. The exhaust note is deeper and sounds more pissed off compared to the 3.8. It's also not as loud, but again I suspect (and hope ) that that will change once I get a chance to put more miles on it. I didn't get a chance to really push the car so I didn't notice any differences in suspension and overall feel.

The difference between the 997.1 GT3 and the 3.8 I think was more pronounced than the difference between the 3.8 and the 4.0, at least based on my experiences so far. The 3.8 was much tighter and sharper than the GT3, the power band was better, the engine revved more freely, it sounded better, steering feel was better.....overall the GT3 just felt "softer". With the 4.0, it feels like a "better" 3.8 RS. And that largely due to the motor....which I'm fine with . To me it's completely worth it.....the 3.8 was my favorite car ever, and the 4.0 is even better.
very good post. I enjoyed reading that. I would love to have the coin to buy one
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lopro
very good post. I enjoyed reading that. I would love to have the coin to buy one
Thanks for the kind words . Without a doubt it's a great car.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
lopro
Banned

cobrien its good forum members like you that make this place a great place to be
solid attitude
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I really appreciate that. And without a doubt the same can be said of you. And in fact most of the people on this forum. I (like a lot of people here, I'm sure) am on several forums, and I think the people on Rennlist are in general more knowledgeable and more involved with their cars than those on most of the other forums. It's a really good group here, and there are plenty of people to talk to and who can help with pretty much every Porsche topic.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
997 GT2 has more pow, and TQ, and is so cheap, and unloved.
+1
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Come south as there are a couple of events at Road Atlanta this month and next month. We can compare 4.0 notes then
Seth, at what Road Atlanta events will you drive the 4.0?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Or will you ever take it out on the track???
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The 4.0L is a fantastic model to own

If one has a 996, 997.1 or .2 and can financially support the upgrade to the 4.0L it is worth it.

If one currently has nothing and is looking at a 3.8L, the difference of the 4.0L is again worth it if you can financially support the spread for the newer model.

If I had an extra $100k in my jeans i would upgrade to the 4.0L club and enjoy it at least until the 2014 991RS GT3 hits the scene .... It is my cup of tea for sure.

One nice thing about owning a 3.6L or the 3.8L however, is not being as reserved when it comes to stripping interior, upgrading shocks/suspension, adding roll bar, seats and exhaust systems etc... (messing around with it)

Because of the low 600 production number im thinking that the 4.0L will be used mainly in the future for commuting/enjoyment purposes vs. multiple track day beatings......

The last of the Metzger engine, short wheel base 911......
In 10 years from now, people may desire these more so then the 991+ platforms..... food for thought
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
lopro
Banned

Originally Posted by cobrien
Thanks, I really appreciate that. And without a doubt the same can be said of you. And in fact most of the people on this forum. I (like a lot of people here, I'm sure) am on several forums, and I think the people on Rennlist are in general more knowledgeable and more involved with their cars than those on most of the other forums. It's a really good group here, and there are plenty of people to talk to and who can help with pretty much every Porsche topic.
cheers, I just want to learn as much about these cars as possible and this place is a great forum to do so. Everyones great. If you had a rep points, I would have to add to them now.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

If one has a 996, 997.1 or .2 and can financially support the upgrade to the 4.0L it is worth it.

If one currently has nothing and is looking at a 3.8L, the difference of the 4.0L is again worth it if you can financially support the spread for the newer model.

If I had an extra $100k in my jeans i would upgrade to the 4.0L club and enjoy it at least until the 2014 991RS GT3 hits the scene .... It is my cup of tea for sure.

One nice thing about owning a 3.6L or the 3.8L however, is not being as reserved when it comes to stripping interior, upgrading shocks/suspension, adding roll bar, seats and exhaust systems etc... (messing around with it)

Because of the low 600 production number im thinking that the 4.0L will be used mainly in the future for commuting/enjoyment purposes vs. multiple track day beatings......

In 10 years from now, people may desire these more so then the 991+ platforms..... food for thought
I wonder if any of these cars will ever be collectible. Each one is more powerfull and better the last.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a Boxster Son R compounds with Pole Positions in it and upgraded it to a 11k mile 2004 GT3 20 months ago. Moved the Pole Positions over to the GT3, put some track mats in it and put 5k mile on it. In October I got my 4.0 and put 1200 mile on it before it got to cold. 3 weeks ago I decided I had to have more and got a 3.8RS as a DD and did 300 mile before Right shoulder surgery will keep me out of all 3 till at least April. I drove both the 3.8 and the 6GT3 the day before surgery. I have some track experience and some AutoX, am an Aussie so a 'hoonigan' by nature.

Each of them has it's own personality by far. The 6GT3 gives me chills when I drive it and is by far and away the most raw. I did DD it for a while and find its a car you develop a relationship with and it rewards you or slaps you for it. The 3.8 is docile by comparison until the right foot gets heavy and then it feels very connected and precise. I am sure this will only improve with mileage.

The 4.0 is like a race car to both by comparison. Its fast, is scalpel like in it's handling (the 3.8 was definitely more nervous), but has a lower and more pressing version of the 3.8 acceleration that is more than noticeable. It feels lighter to steer and easier to drive surprisingly.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 PM
lopro
Banned

In 10 years from now, people may desire these
I would have to agree, I think that the 4.0 will be a special car 20 years from now if kept in good shape. they all will be because of how great they are but having only made 600 of the 4.0 must be worth something
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I wonder if any of these cars will ever be collectible. Each one is more powerfull and better the last.

Very true. However the appeal of the short wheel base may make for a "993 like" feel compared to the new 991 + ....

wishful thinking perhaps but i have seen stranger things happen in the car world..

OT but after racing my 997RS for a week and then going back to my daily driver 993 i accidentally turned in too soon and kissed a curb.
The turn in and wheel base are so different that i misjudged the turn! (probably a little distracted)
Muscle memory and mental error....
Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good analogy for your argument is the 993TT/S. More often than not you see the old 993TT trading at or above the 996TT. For damn sure with lower mileage 993TTS models.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Very true. However the appeal of the short wheel base may make for a "993 like" feel compared to the new 991 + ....

wishful thinking perhaps but i have seen stranger things happen in the car world..
I hope you're right!! I think part of the problem is that these cars need to be driven (at least I think they do!), and if they are going to be collectible and you want to really benefit from that you pretty much need to park them in a bubble and leave them for 10 or 20 years. I don't think I could do that. Actually, I know I can't do that. So hopefully we'll benefit a bit in terms of the car holding it's value better for longer, but I don't think I have a shot of having a collector car 10 years from now that's worth 2x what I paid for it.....

Quick Reply: Dynoed the 4.0 (updated with 3.8 vs 4.0 chart)