Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

has anyone used the yellow stuff EBC brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
eriojas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone used the yellow stuff EBC brake pads?

they are 1/3 the price of the OEM or Pagid?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Brakes-H...-/220748475752
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Great for toyota IQ, honda jazz and other highly tuned cars.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

don't forget supras
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eriojas

Check your airbags, and bring cash to pay for armco.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
eriojas
Track Day

I was no clear about my question...

Jas anyone used these pads on a 997 GT3?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eriojas

it was a bit of discussion here
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...w-stuff-2.html

i used them since middle of the end of last season when my RS29 were gone in front and i had to replace them. i tried them as i was tired to swap pads at a track and wanted to see if this EBC will be silent on a street or not. they were indeed much much better in that department than pagids, RS29 or PFC01 were screeching crazy on my car, not sure why, may be calipers are not aligned properly (but i was not able to see anything wrong), long story short - it is the only pad i tried fo far that did not hurt my ears on the street.
look at this chart
http://www.perfectbrakes.com/bluestufflink.asp

they claim bluestuff to be more 'durable' and track oriented than yellowstuff.
if you worked with PFC before you will not like EBC, it required much more pedal pressure than PFC and a bit more than with RS29.
i drive at pace where stock pads fade, EBC never faded on me but faster drivers may probably not like them, i am going on pace with most drivers in blue and slower guys from white run groups now. so for beginners/intermediates or those who are light on brakes i think those pads are fine, if you stab you brakes at latest moment and need 100% hard bite - go with PFC01, there is no substitute for them. but i found hard to practice trailbraking with PFC pads, pads with less initial bite are a bit easier to manage.

some people reported big build-up on rotors from those EBC pads, i did not have it, but my rotors are smaller then GT3 rotors.

yes, and if you want pads for street only and not for track - ignore all above and take redstuff pads instead of yellowstuff, you will have almost 0 dust on your rims. plenty of people use EBC and do not complain, just check with people who drive less expensive/older cars when on a track next time.

to me only good thing about EBC is that I may use them without having to swap them on a track but i always carry a spare set of used RS29 pads, just in case.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

My brother used them on his M3 and absolutely hated them. The pad felt like it was glazed over all the time.

It's marketed as a track pad that can take high temps. It did stand up to the heat, never over-heated but it never had any torque either. He tried everything to re-bed and get them to work but nothing gave him any results.

Use Hawk DTC-60's if you want an "inexpensive" track pad that works.

Andy
Old 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
My brother used them on his M3 and absolutely hated them. The pad felt like it was glazed over all the time.
Andy
yep, he did not brake hard enough. they get glazed from a lot of street driving with slow light braking. very first hard brake at the end of a straight takes it all off. also it is important to have proper cooling ducts on both front and rear for EBC, people who say they crumble overheat them. but it is obvious, if you plan on running track or oval where rotors get red hot you need to use pads that are designed to sustain this level of heat.

any better track pad will not even work properly on a street while cold, EBC at least bites a bit when cold. PFC does not. in the end all this stuff is about how lazy you are. if car goes to track on a trailer then no doubt using this EBC stuff is stupid. DTC-60 pad screams on street just like PFC does, so, imho there is not much point to get them over pagids or pfc.

there are also Carbotech pads but i never tried them.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM
eriojas
Track Day

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it was a bit of discussion here
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...w-stuff-2.html

i used them since middle of the end of last season when my RS29 were gone in front and i had to replace them. i tried them as i was tired to swap pads at a track and wanted to see if this EBC will be silent on a street or not. they were indeed much much better in that department than pagids, RS29 or PFC01 were screeching crazy on my car, not sure why, may be calipers are not aligned properly (but i was not able to see anything wrong), long story short - it is the only pad i tried fo far that did not hurt my ears on the street.
look at this chart
http://www.perfectbrakes.com/bluestufflink.asp

they claim bluestuff to be more 'durable' and track oriented than yellowstuff.
if you worked with PFC before you will not like EBC, it required much more pedal pressure than PFC and a bit more than with RS29.
i drive at pace where stock pads fade, EBC never faded on me but faster drivers may probably not like them, i am going on pace with most drivers in blue and slower guys from white run groups now. so for beginners/intermediates or those who are light on brakes i think those pads are fine, if you stab you brakes at latest moment and need 100% hard bite - go with PFC01, there is no substitute for them. but i found hard to practice trailbraking with PFC pads, pads with less initial bite are a bit easier to manage.

some people reported big build-up on rotors from those EBC pads, i did not have it, but my rotors are smaller then GT3 rotors.

yes, and if you want pads for street only and not for track - ignore all above and take redstuff pads instead of yellowstuff, you will have almost 0 dust on your rims. plenty of people use EBC and do not complain, just check with people who drive less expensive/older cars when on a track next time.

to me only good thing about EBC is that I may use them without having to swap them on a track but i always carry a spare set of used RS29 pads, just in case.
Thanks Utkinpol for your information, I use the car mainly on the street, and 2-3 trackdays a year...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

also look at ferrodo 2500's. good for street, adequate for mild tracking.
no noise. some dust though.
ps - love SLOW's new avatar!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PFC, they become inexpensive, as they last forever

Quick Reply: has anyone used the yellow stuff EBC brake pads?