Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can this be right? Gen 1 vs 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Agreed, truth be told the RSS, GMG, SW and so on are all pretty similar and all pretty good. The Akra is something else and another price point, and the homemade are just... I dunno, if you can afford a gt3, why can't you afford a buck and change for an exhaust?
If done correctly, a one off exhaust can be as good or better then the ones listed.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nan P
Thanks for posting this Silverboy, I have always been curious how much faster the 2.RS is over the 1.RS. I agree with comments; lighter wheels, PCCB equaling less unsprung mass makes a little difference. Add the more downforce of 2.RS, maybe there's less difference between the two or I'm just hoping there is....
I've heard gearing makes the biggest difference.
Yes I thought with the .2 gearing I would lose initially but didn't. He also is a better driver as he competes regularly on track dedicated cars and holds the fastest time at our local track - BRC.

I really think it's a combination of my engine being looser and less unsprung weight that made the difference. But heck, with his tune plus Akra he should be running close to 450HP. But then again, all gen 2 owners have to do is lessen their unsprung weight and I'm sure we'll see the difference in acceleration between the two.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
If done correctly, a one off exhaust can be as good or better then the ones listed.
I don't agree with that at all, unless the person building it is 1) copying another product 2) a race-tech himself and 3) a master fabricator.

If that was the case, more often than not he/she is building these things for a living anyway...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by silverboy
Yes I thought with the .2 gearing I would lose initially but didn't. He also is a better driver as he competes regularly on track dedicated cars and holds the fastest time at our local track - BRC.

I really think it's a combination of my engine being looser and less unsprung weight that made the difference. But heck, with his tune plus Akra he should be running close to 450HP. But then again, all gen 2 owners have to do is lessen their unsprung weight and I'm sure we'll see the difference in acceleration between the two.
450HP is stock.

With all the mods he should be flirting with 470 bhp.

And you've supposedly got 415 bhp.

He's got better gearing, more power, and still you are level with him.

Your car must be pushing out 430bhp or thereabouts. and his must be actually losing a bit of power.

Doens't make sense to me otherwise.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I don't agree with that at all, unless the person building it is 1) copying another product 2) a race-tech himself and 3) a master fabricator.

If that was the case, more often than not he/she is building these things for a living anyway...
I know a guy local who is making his own system for GT3, he does fall under #2 and 3 of your list though. I will post the results of this system when available.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know a guy local who is making his own system for GT3, he does fall under #2 and 3 of your list though. I will post the results of this system when available.
Well, then its a pro-piece! What I was referring to is someone who takes a bunch of dimensions to a machine shop and says "build this!"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbill1236
A little help here please, with 2007 gt3 rs are the stock wheels that much heavier than after market? If yes what would be the best and next best higher price first for a set of track tires.

Thanks Allan

Yes!!
&
O.Z. ....

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Has anyone looked into M&M exhaust sold by FVD? M&M makes some nice stuff. I have their cat back exhaust which is a side muffler delete and the only exhaust approved for Rolex Grand Am...
Ah yes, thank you sir. Some one and the very few around here who recognizes the M&M exhaust systems. Yes M&M, just a little "know nothing" company?
I'll leave it there ... out

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Well, then its a pro-piece! What I was referring to is someone who takes a bunch of dimensions to a machine shop and says "build this!"
Many of these machine shops are the same way, before any of the big names got there, they started out small. Everyone has to start somewhere, some have more technical backgrounds then others. As for copies of others, how much original stuff is truly out there? Who was the first to do a cross pipe or a bypass?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbill1236
A little help here please, with 2007 gt3 rs are the stock wheels that much heavier than after market? If yes what would be the best and next best higher price first for a set of track tires.

Thanks Allan

Allan, I believe the stock wheels weigh 27 LBS (front) and 30 LBS (rear). If you go with 18" OZ Alleggerita wheels, you will save a ton of weight. They weight just over 18 LBS (front) and 23.5 LBS (rear).
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM
lopro
Banned

im interested to know who was the made the first bypass also.

I imagine it would be someone with .6 cup looking to make more power.

anyone know?

This is a great thread, there is lots of info in here for someone looking to make the .1 or .2 decission. wheels, exhaust and so on. keep it coming.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Many of these machine shops are the same way, before any of the big names got there, they started out small. Everyone has to start somewhere, some have more technical backgrounds then others. As for copies of others, how much original stuff is truly out there? Who was the first to do a cross pipe or a bypass?
Well, true a bypass is a bypass, but a machine shop + a auto workshop + a race shop + testing equipment = a bypass I will trust on my car.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

a machine shop + a auto workshop + a race shop + testing equipment = a bypass I will trust on my car.
Yes, agreed. I can show you a link to the prototype. PM if interested.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
lopro
Banned

Well, true a bypass is a bypass, but a machine shop + a auto workshop + a race shop + testing equipment = a bypass I will trust on my car.
yes i think the testing done by these race shops Is very much to be taken into consideration when ordering.

They are largely recognized for a reason i imagine

although I am currious to see what they are fabing up. Pm me if you wouldnt mind Id be happy to see it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM
lopro
Banned

silverboy keep this thread going, post a video of you and your buddy racing.

Id really like to know more about the .1 vs .2 997

Quick Reply: Can this be right? Gen 1 vs 2