Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Can this be right? Gen 1 vs 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His "reflash" and Akra may be slowing him down . . .
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weight is so underated, it goes a long way. Many take it forgranted.

lighter is so much more nimble and faster, It makes up for alot
Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I am really not a fan of the Akra sound. Last Friday there were 4 GT3's, one with the full akra, mine with SW, one with a back-alley-machine shop bypass, and a stock '3, and the consensus was the normal one sounded nice (naturally), the mickey-mouse one sounded like someone farting, and the Akra was like a mechanical drill inside your head. And the SW was the best sounding.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM
lopro
Banned

interesting post bmardini. I wish the xpipe was nearby when making decission on best sounding center section. All i know it that Akra is expensive and for the mickymouse homebrew fab'd one, why bother when there are so many proven choices on this board like SW, AKRA, RSS, Cargraphc, europipe blablabla

so many people think they can out design/engineer porsche or proven race shops. Is it to save a penny or? Im under the impression that these companies get their cred in P community because they know whats going on and they have a popular product.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by lopro
interesting post bmardini. I wish the xpipe was nearby when making decission on best sounding center section. All i know it that Akra is expensive and for the mickymouse homebrew fab'd one, why bother when there are so many proven choices on this board like SW, AKRA, RSS, Cargraphc, europipe blablabla
The GMG bypass sounds the most unique with its distinct howl and is the only one that's actually used/tested in sanctioned racing (GMG WC cars). Based on my limited research (though I did ask a ton of questions), it's the only one made in-house (i.e. not farmed out), features the balance pipe, and imho the best looking out of the main three (SW/RSS/GMG). It's also the priciest bypass in the market by a couple bones+.

The only downside is that there's a bit of harmonic resonance at 2,900RPM in my car. I've gotten rid of most of it by padding the doors which came at an extra cost. Though some advised that one can't go wrong with any 1 of the them (I tend2 agree), there is a standout unit and I picked what I felt was exactly this.

gl
Old 12-26-2011, 02:32 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lopro

so many people think they can out design/engineer porsche or proven race shops. Is it to save a penny or? Im under the impression that these companies get their cred in P community because they know whats going on and they have a popular product.
Agreed, truth be told the RSS, GMG, SW and so on are all pretty similar and all pretty good. The Akra is something else and another price point, and the homemade are just... I dunno, if you can afford a gt3, why can't you afford a buck and change for an exhaust?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
this could very well be the case. Dynos do not always have realized gains on the street.

Most of these systems also lose torque down low, which doesn't mean much in a drag race, but certainly may from a 2nd gear roll on.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Akrapovic doesn't loose power, the torque loss is in low RPM, and if had any effects, we already know that is driver related. Tune ... if it's from any of the known companies most likely will make little to no power.
The combo between a good tune and a full akrapovic system, is substantial, specially if compared to similar cars.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Akrapovic doesn't loose power, the torque loss is in low RPM, and if had any effects, we already know that is driver related. Tune ... if it's from any of the known companies most likely will make little to no power.
The combo between a good tune and a full akrapovic system, is substantial, specially if compared to similar cars.
have no doubt that akra makes what they claim, others.. who knows. I wasn't clear when I responded but do not have a lot of faith in most of these NA engine "tunes". Yes, agreed some torque loss in the 2500-3500 range with the akra, iircc. However, a 12-16 hp bump (again, iircc) with 60lb or so weight loss for a full system is nice!!

^ Cute pup, sorry for the loss.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

In fact I went thru extensive dyne test with 3.6 and 3.8 cars, with different exhaust, tunes, fuel and headers test, and also street comparison before and after the mods.
All I can say is that on a 3.8 with full akrapovic with headers, Evolution motorsports custom tune and E85 fuel, the results were really impressive.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for posting this Silverboy, I have always been curious how much faster the 2.RS is over the 1.RS. I agree with comments; lighter wheels, PCCB equaling less unsprung mass makes a little difference. Add the more downforce of 2.RS, maybe there's less difference between the two or I'm just hoping there is....
I've heard gearing makes the biggest difference.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
In fact I went thru extensive dyne test with 3.6 and 3.8 cars, with different exhaust, tunes, fuel and headers test, and also street comparison before and after the mods.
All I can say is that on a 3.8 with full akrapovic with headers, Evolution motorsports custom tune and E85 fuel, the results were really impressive.

So is the new Cheater car going to Sebring in Jan.

Peter
Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Peter, in fact my car remains bone stock, the tests were performed a while ago on a customer's car.
It was a 3.8 non RS.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Has anyone looked into M&M exhaust sold by FVD? M&M makes some nice stuff. I have their cat back exhaust which is a side muffler delete and the only exhaust approved for Rolex Grand Am. I hope to get my car dyno'd soon but I need a all wheel drive dyno due to PDK.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911dev
However, a 12-16 hp bump (again, iircc) with 60lb or so weight loss for a full system is nice!!.
my car was put on a Dyno with stock exhaust, and then with a cup car exhaust and it produced 17 hp more then stock.

Quick Reply: Can this be right? Gen 1 vs 2