Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

McLaren Calling!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default McLaren Calling!

Have any of you blokes been getting calls from McLaren?

I've been away in Lithuania on contract again and I cannot always receive calls on my US line in this former Eastern-Block country.

Moving a long, the folks calling me sound like they have English accents, but almost Indian sounding too. I'm registered with McLaren of San Francisco; at least that is the dealership wanting to give "the full monty". I wonder if they are farming the initial phone calls to potential clients out to Mumbai or the like?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

nope ...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

I've been away in Lithuania on contract again and I cannot always receive calls on my US line in this former Eastern-Block country.
GSM coverage in Lithuania is pretty good overall. A great many US carriers still don't 'get' GSM, so its as likely to be a problem with your US cellular supplier as the Lithuanian networks.

R+C
PS the McL is worth spending time with, the factory is a short taxi ride from Heathrow, so you could make a flying visit whilst travelling USA-Lit
Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

his roaming charges could be painful!!!

I agree though, he should go test drive one and report back to RL!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
nope ...
ha ha me neither......
Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
ha ha me neither......
guess they read some RL posts and decided we weren't "suitable material"
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I test drove the car a few days ago and posted my review on fchat, pasted here for those with an interest. No 458 bashing please, the comparison to an RS would be somewhat similar in terms of viscerality.

"I currently own a 458 and drove the 12C today, as I remain intrigued by it. The demonstrator is pearl white and I have to say it looked considerably better than the other silver cars I had previously seen in person. I think the car is sensitive to what color is chosen and again despite being underwhelmed by the original cars I had seen I am now decidedly on the side that thinks the 12C has its own appealing look.

Drove the car on some back roads and highways and I was impressed but not fully moved. The steering is excellent, well weighted and the wheel itself is great, the right size and thickness. The ride quality is very good as everyone has already said although I honestly did not feel that it is significantly better than the 458. It is perhaps more compliant but its not exactly gliding over the rough stuff. Either way, that is not a determining factor for me as I like my sports cars on the stiffer side.

The acceleration is strong, but again I was expecting a little more seat of the pants difference based on the reviews. Its hard to say whether it is significantly better than the 458, and perhaps it is due to the fact that there is quite little drama when putting the pedal down. The car may well be accelerating faster than the 458 but it is doing it so effortlessly that you don't get the hair raising feeling.

This car has the steel brakes and they felt fine, no complaints. Seems like steel is the way to go vs the ceramics.

The gearbox also is good, does what it is supposed to but I would have wanted to have more aggressive snap in the process. It is a little too similar to the GTR experience, very fast but also a little too smooth. The 458 gearbox is better, in race mode especially. This probably could be tuned through software as they are doing with the 458 update.

Finally, the engine. This to me is where the 458 really stands above. The 12C engine just does not have the immediacy and urgency of the 458 naturally aspirated unit. The turbo lag is contained, but it is definitely there, and if you are accustomed to the type of engine that just responds instantly and where it feels like the throttle pedal has nothing between it and the engine, I think the 12C is a little disappointing. It has plenty of power and torque, low emissions, etc but it just doesn't have a world-class character. I feel like the engine is just another component of the 12C. In the 458 or my CGT or a GT3 RS, the engine defines the car. The exhaust note was adequate, but sounded more corvette than exotic. A supercar has to have a memorable engine, and this one isn't. I think this is the weak spot in the 12C proposition and I wish that McLaren would have gone a different route rather than forced induction.

Overall, I liked the 12C a lot, but a little sadly it doesn't deliver the drama or experience required for me to part with that kind of money. If I didn't have a 458 it would be an obvious buy. But to trade in my 458 for the 12C is another proposition altogether and there wasn't enough of a difference in experience to warrant it at this time.

Undoubtedly a well put together car and a highly usable one but it doesn't raise the hairs on the neck enough on regular roads for my purposes (which are weekend jaunts, not daily driving). I can totally see the appeal though for a certain type of buyer. If there were a little more anger in the car I would love to have an orange one. Perhaps in a subsequent stripped out version ..

Very impressive effort, there is a lot to like in this car."
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I liked Clarkson's comment "why did you name it after a photocopier!"
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

No McLaren, but recently Ferrari invited me to drive its California. In a perfect weather afternoon, they gave each of us (apparantly, they invited a few) a Ferrari California, and paired each of us with a professional racing driver.

They just let me drive/enjoy the car whichever way I like, and with the racing driver in the passenger seat to teach me how to push the car well.

The event was very nicely done. Even it was 'just' a California -- its sound was amazing, the brakes are great, the 7-speed double clutch transmission was actually very nice, the interior was beautiful.

I must admit that I am almost sold... the only thing I am not used to was its steering wheel feel; a little light compares to the GT3, which I love very much.

With best regards,

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 221 Posts

My favorite modern car is the GT3RS which is why I bought another one after selling my first one in early summer. Having said that I absolutely love the 458 but in a different way. The 458 sound is unbelievable, the steering feel was excellent, throttle response was great, and of course nothing smells like a new F-car inside. I sat in two McLaren's but unfortunately it was raining both times so I chose not to take either one out. I plan to drive one in the next few weeks, weather permitting.

The California is an excellent and more civilized car. Still fun to drive and sounds excellent. My plan is to get a Scud at some point.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I got the call from my sales agent today! Final specs need to be turned in by 12/14 for production to move forward. ETA: March

I am going over all the specs just to make sure I have no regrets!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Early on, I gave serious thought to the 12C but opted to stick with the obvious and timeless choice ............. I chose the 4.0 instead !
Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

has CJ driven (or advised us of his experience) the 12C?

superquant - great write up and read, appreciate your views. axhoaxho's too. lucky guys!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I might be driving the 12c soon. very soon. will post a full write up although I know for a fact that the weather and conditions will not permit dead 0-100 accel times.

I recently acquired a ducati to sit alongside my cbr and 599.

current roster is 2010 VW gti, 05 CGT, 07 599 manual trans, 1955 550 replica, ducati monster, honda cbr.

my more pressing need is for a 4 door vehicle and am aiming at the cayenne S- the panamera is too ugly in the butt and I can't see it being better than the 07 RS4 I used to drive and would re-acquire.

long and short is that I don't really have a need for another performance coupe that I can't drive all the time, and the reason I like the mclaren vs the 458 is because it's more unique, more efficient, and the doors are cool to go along with the better 0-60.

i'd wait to get a 458 corsa personally as taking 100k hits on cars isn't really my style
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
No McLaren, but recently Ferrari invited me to drive its California. In a perfect weather afternoon, they gave each of us (apparantly, they invited a few) a Ferrari California, and paired each of us with a professional racing driver. ...
Ah! That stop was at Madera's. Interesting!

Quick Reply: McLaren Calling!