Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

McLaren Calling!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
No McLaren, but recently Ferrari invited me to drive its California. In a perfect weather afternoon, they gave each of us (apparantly, they invited a few) a Ferrari California, and paired each of us with a professional racing driver.

They just let me drive/enjoy the car whichever way I like, and with the racing driver in the passenger seat to teach me how to push the car well.

The event was very nicely done. Even it was 'just' a California -- its sound was amazing, the brakes are great, the 7-speed double clutch transmission was actually very nice, the interior was beautiful.

I must admit that I am almost sold... the only thing I am not used to was its steering wheel feel; a little light compares to the GT3, which I love very much.

With best regards,
I got invited to drive the California at the track. I did 45 minutes on the 1.3 at MSR in the summer. It was better on the track that it was on the street. I drove it in sport mode on the track, but it did not like the rapid elevation changes. The one I drive had the manual sport seats and ceramics. Computer kept doing weird things on me with throttle and brakes in transitions. Brakes were terrible due to the cars came straight from the auto show and still had the OEM stock fluid. They were very spongy. Steering has a lot less feel than a 911. The best way I could describe it is it is a slightly better handling Mercedes SL. It has quite a bit of body roll and doesn't rotate very quickly. It does at least turn it and is pretty smooth at the limit. I asked them to invite me out when they bring 458s to the track, which of course is not going to happen as 458s are sold out and Californias are barely selling.

Back when the first McLaren prototype was being taken around the country, I got invited for a private tour. I spent an hour in an art studio in Dallas talking with the factory engineers about the car. I only got to sit in it and play with the controls. It needs cupholders. I don't know how you would use that thing under the dash by your knee without spilling taking it in and out. It was a stage 2 to 3 prototype that was not yet ready to be driven on the road. It was the same car that was in California that they were doing publicity photos with Jay Leno and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I have the signed Lithograph they gave me in my office at work. I get regular communications from them, but have not heard about any cars available to drive. Last I heard was all 35 of the first year cars being delivered to Dallas were all sold.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My review of the test drive. I had posted it on the NSX site.

Wow - can't believe it. I finally got to test drive the MP4 past Saturday. My initial reviews:

I got a call from my salesman that their cars were in past Thursday. I told them I am in Dallas on Sat. and wanted to drop by. Park Place McLaren has a black one in the showroom and a White/Red combo with Ceramics for drives. I drove the white one on a short drive. I literally wanted to write notes so I remember the test drive. Test drives are limited to people with deposits only. They have mapped out a 45 min test drive to get a feel for the car. I didn't have time for a full testdrive so I did a quick 15 min run from Parkplace up Inwood and down the Tollway.

The first word out of my mouth after the short test drive was AWESOME. It was a religious moment. I was shaking the sales man's hand and told him that I am sold. The car delivers in all accounts(well I didn't get to drift it like Tiff). The car literally has 3 distinct personalities. The Nl. suspension mode is very comfortable and ideal for driving around town. It is quiet, relaxed with smooth shift and minimal exhaust note intrusion. The car shifted to 7th gear at 37 MPH. It is ideal for date night. The next step up is sport which is equivalent to Race mode on the F458. Shift are firmer, ride stiffer, sound more present. The Track mode is a different league.. the car was race car stiff, shifts were extremely fast and firm. My brain was on an adrenaline high but the car felt as stiff as my NSX with Type R suspension. The traction/stability control was minimally intrusive. The sales man told me that Track mode retards VSC by ~ 75-80%. In other words you better know what you are doing.

The acceleration of the car is Mind Bending. I literally mean that. It is very difficult to truly appreciate the endless thrust of TQ, and HP combined with the high RPM redline. Peak Tq is at 2500 - 2700 RPM. From a stop: The car take a split second to gain traction and then LAUNCHES itself forward like a Catapult. I did a couple of runs from 60 to 135 and the Digital speed meter was literally jumping by increments of 10. It continued to pull hard above 100 MPH. The ceramics were disappointing. They have a Non linear feel with very little modulation. I suspect they would do much better at the track. The rush of acceleration made me giddy and laugh like a little school girl.

The white car has the lightweight exhaust which sounded quite nice. It sound more like a muscle car or a Gallardo. It rumbles with spades of deep bass. I liked the sound but it way different than a F458(which some people may or may not like).

The DCT is amazing. I felt some hesitation off the line in Track mode. Otherwise I felt that it was great. It was bit odd to press buttons for N and R but I am guessing an owner would get used to that in 2 days. The DCT might not be in the league of the F458 but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Overall - the car was very very impressive. The Fit and finish was excellent. No loose panels, no rattles, excellent interior. The car has enough trunk space and space behind the seats for a weekend getaway. The seats and legroom should be able to accommodate guys up to 6'4''. That's something that the Gallardo and F458 can't promise.

I told my sales man that I will be back with my wife for full test drive but my gut feeling was that I was ready to buy ASAP. I wish I knew where I was on the waiting list!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with an McLaren representative yesterday. Explained to him that I was out of the country in Europe.

He asked me if there was anywhere I would like to meet with a McLaren rep while visiting. Told him I couldn't so anything for about two weeks until I travel to meet Family in Ireland for Xmas and a Good-**** at St James Gate, read where they make the mother elixir Guinness and Harp.

Now the rep is trying to get me to visit London or Rybrook in Birmingham for a test.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

ritesh thank you for getting into the different driver modes- as a potential buyer myself I've had nothing but hope for a "calm" mode for taking babes to dinner and fun modes I can exploit with my buddies or myself!

Quick Reply: McLaren Calling!