Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Scissor-type car lifts

Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scissor-type car lifts

All you who have these, please advise. I'm posting this in this forum because you guys have your cars up in the air often.
Thinking about getting a lift to put on/off track tires, change brake pads, bleed brake lines, etc. Would be in garage. Want to leave it in place, and just park over it. Only considering scissor lifts, not post lifts.
1-- Do you have to get a Bend-Pak lift to get a good one? I'm not made of money, and I want to get the cheapest, good, safe lift. In other words, anybody happy with their nonBend-Pak lift?
2-- Is daily parking over it in the garage a problem or a hassle?
3-- Are special arms required to fit the width of a 997 C2S?
4--Are they as easy to use as they look?
5--Any other pros/cons you can add?
Thanks.
BTW, unlike your GT3's, my C2S is stock ride height.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) i've got the bend pak scissor lift. in fact this one to be exact: http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/MD-6XP.aspx. i'm not made of money either and this particular one was a great price. i bought it online from here: http://www.asedeals.com

2) not a hassle at all, what i did was screw 2 LONG pieces of 2x6 planks together (length of entire car), constructed something real simple, and park my BMW M3 on it every single day. 996 GT3 clears no problem. you can get creative with this solution... fancy ramps, recess lift in to garage floor, etc... my ghetto ramps work perfectly fine for me, dont get in the way, and still looking great after 4+ yrs

3) no special arms required. i've had my M3 on it, GT3, wife's rover, pick up truck, buddies mini van, its awesome.

4) even easier! a bit heavy to move around in the garage, i wouldnt want to do it every weekend, but very convenient and straight forward.

5) its the single best garage purchase that i've made period. the ONLY regret i have is not buying one sooner! all that time and energy wasted pre-lift! swapping brake pads for track, swapping wheels, taking wheels off for good cleaning, detailing your car brake bleeding, and with 911, even engine and exhaust work is simple. in fact, you could easily drop the 996 motor on this lift. its perfect for the rear engine platform! not as awesome for standard cars like M3 tho, since the mid section of the lift gets in the way.

alternatively, you might want to look in to a 2 post or 4 post low rise, small footprint, type lift. take a look at bend paks website as i believe they have some solutions if space is concern. i believe even costco has options for standard garages (limited space). i'm very content with my mid rise.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
1) i've got the bend pak scissor lift. in fact this one to be exact: http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/MD-6XP.aspx. i'm not made of money either and this particular one was a great price. i bought it online from here: http://www.asedeals.com

2) not a hassle at all, what i did was screw 2 LONG pieces of 2x6 planks together (length of entire car), constructed something real simple, and park my BMW M3 on it every single day. 996 GT3 clears no problem. you can get creative with this solution... fancy ramps, recess lift in to garage floor, etc... my ghetto ramps work perfectly fine for me, dont get in the way, and still looking great after 4+ yrs

3) no special arms required. i've had my M3 on it, GT3, wife's rover, pick up truck, buddies mini van, its awesome.

4) even easier! a bit heavy to move around in the garage, i wouldnt want to do it every weekend, but very convenient and straight forward.

5) its the single best garage purchase that i've made period. the ONLY regret i have is not buying one sooner! all that time and energy wasted pre-lift! swapping brake pads for track, swapping wheels, taking wheels off for good cleaning, detailing your car brake bleeding, and with 911, even engine and exhaust work is simple. in fact, you could easily drop the 996 motor on this lift. its perfect for the rear engine platform! not as awesome for standard cars like M3 tho, since the mid section of the lift gets in the way.

alternatively, you might want to look in to a 2 post or 4 post low rise, small footprint, type lift. take a look at bend paks website as i believe they have some solutions if space is concern. i believe even costco has options for standard garages (limited space). i'm very content with my mid rise.
Could you be a little more clear on how you manage clearance for the GT3 using the MD-6XP?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure... the GT3 will NOT clear the MD-6XP without either

a) recessing the lift in to the garage floor
b) driving your GT3 on to AT LEAST 2 wood planks the entire length of the car so that all 4 wheels are on top of the 2 wood planks.

I chose option b. I screwed two 4x8's (i know i said 2x6's earlier but now that i think about it i believe they were 4x8's!) wood planks sandwiched together in sort of a "staggered" design. so the two 4x8's are flush at the top end (front of car) and staggered at the rear so that your approach is not so abrupt as you drive up on the ramp. you drive up on one 4x8 at a time if that makes sense and when you reach the end... your car's 4 wheels will be up on two 4x8's. I wish i had pictures!

my GT3 was slightly lowered from factory height (euro settings) and i had room to spare over the MD-6XP. it was actually perfect since the lift arms swung out exactly flush over the two stacked wood boards. and the actual "main body" of the lift was flush with the two stacked boards.

i think i'll go take a quick pic to illustrate better
Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 AM
M Coop
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone else had any recent experience with recessing their scissor type lift? I'm building a new garage and am considering. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated!

I'm considering bend pak and the ever eternal examples.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:31 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

scroll through this a little. there's some decent photos of my setup in here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...1-and-2-a.html

+ you will get used to daily parking over it.
+ don't know about the C2S, but i imagine it will fit fine as there are many adjustments you can make to the support arms.
+ easy to use.
+ mine has rust on it as i parked my daily driver over it one winter. I had the lift covered with plywood, but new england managed to have its way. i don't think this is common.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Bendpak in a shallow pit in my garage. It works great, not outrageous cost.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 PM
bobaines
Pro

I have a 3/4" AL honeycomb plate as a cover which I can drive over and can serve as a work or serving table.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 PM
bobaines
Pro

Sorry but I can only post one photo per post.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Bobaines love your garage! Nice set up.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I have had the Snap On version for some time now and find it very handy for doing tires etc. Also makes it nice to have the car at eye level for cleaning and waxing the lower portions. As others have said it makes a nice hot food table for parties ( my wife's use) I find it also nice as a heavy duty work surface as in allowing me to lift items like mowers from the ground to a servicing level. Another feature is unloading heavy items from a vehicle, raise the scissor lift to the height of the vehicle, slide the heavy item out of the vehicle and lower the lift ... better than using your back
Old 09-19-2016, 01:34 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi All,

This is not a scissor lift, but I have had a MAX-JAX for ~9 years now. I have limited headroom. Has worked well.

Ray
Old 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Could you be a little more clear on how you manage clearance for the GT3 using the MD-6XP?
I use race ramps ... from amazon, highly recommended and reasonable price too
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Thinking about getting a lift to put on/off track tires, change brake pads, bleed brake lines, etc.
Some info in this thread might be helpful: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-car-lift.html Quickjack BL-5000XL might be worth considering... $1,300ish and long enough to fit a 997, and a Bendpak product.

Originally Posted by M Coop
Has anyone else had any recent experience with recessing their scissor type lift? I'm building a new garage and am considering. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated!
I have a Bendpak P-6FB recessed into the floor, pictured at post #12 in the referenced thread. More parallelogram than scissor, so the car moves 18" aft as it raises. If you do this, my best advice is to get whatever lift you choose on-site and test fit your forms before pouring the concrete. Also, ample conduit under the floor for hydraulic lines, and consider what else you need at the lift end (e.g., diverter valve, e electrical line at the lift for lighting, etc.). Consider whether you need 110 or 220V for the pump. Find a local shop that males hydraulic lines, you'll need them. Feel free to PM questions.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:57 PM
M Coop
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks all for the information! Bobaines- fantastic garage. Any reasons you chose not to use the "duel" lifts and opted for the single platform?

Do you find yourself wishing you had space in-between to work?

example:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scissor-type car lifts