Sponsored by:

Car Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:51 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Lift

I do a fair amount of DYI work and I have always wanted a car lift, but my garage ceiling is low and I don't have very much space to begin with to accommodate a lift.

I came across this solution and it seems like the height would allow me to do most of my projects comfortably.

http://www.ezcarlift.com

Has anybody bought and used this system? If so, I would love to get feedback from somebody that has used it before buying one myself.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks really nice and portable as well. Or at least movable. I am looking for something similar. And this seem to be one of the more nimble solutions. Also interested in opinions.

However I would probably put some extra supports under the car before crawling under it as on the images
Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-5000.aspx

Another option is Quick Jack.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

Originally Posted by upier

The actual lift platforms on the Quick Jack are only 46", while the 997 jack points are 54" apart. The plastic covers under the car protrude, so you can't just lift the car on the pinch welds without damaging the covers.

The unit posted by the OP has 60" platforms, which will adequately span the jack points while still clearing the tires. Seems kind of pricey given that it's powered by a drill rather than hydraulics, though.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MFGJR
The actual lift platforms on the Quick Jack are only 46", while the 997 jack points are 54" apart. The plastic covers under the car protrude, so you can't just lift the car on the pinch welds without damaging the covers. The unit posted by the OP has 60" platforms, which will adequately span the jack points while still clearing the tires. Seems kind of pricey given that it's powered by a drill rather than hydraulics, though.
What's the dimensions for the lift points on car if you set the jacks from drivers side to passenger side, left to right? Instead of front to back the traditional method, it might work like that.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I still lived in an apartment in the city and had communal garage parking, I would have bought one of these. They are very convenient.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Try looking at one of these....... I want to buy one but haven't pulled the trigger.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

There is a really good video that shows it in use.

The issue with the BendPak and some others, is the car won't drive over them so folks have built planks on the side to drive up... then swing or move the arms under the jack points. With this EM06 lift, you just drive onto and over it and the wheels hang free. $1,500

So for just a bit more than the EZ, you get hydraulics, a higher, adjustable lift, and it is on wheels although the unit is too heavy to call portable. I was thinking I could just leave it in my garage and drive over it each night... it is a 4" height to drive up.

The reason I didn't buy this (yet) is the Greg Smith location in DE near me, won't let me see the unit. He had six palatalized units and did not have one on display. He said I just had to buy it. I was miffed at this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche605
I do a fair amount of DYI work and I have always wanted a car lift, but my garage ceiling is low and I don't have very much space to begin with to accommodate a lift.

I came across this solution and it seems like the height would allow me to do most of my projects comfortably.

http://www.ezcarlift.com

Has anybody bought and used this system? If so, I would love to get feedback from somebody that has used it before buying one myself.

Thanks.
I looked at this a few years ago to augment my parking lift. I thought it would be a little easier when I needed to pull the wheels. If my memory is correct these lifts were not universal and were either length or width limited. I wanted it only if it would work on all of my vehicles and future one. Just double check.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Timely post. I've been considering a lift also. I'd like one that can do double duty as a parking lift as well as giving me the ability to easily do maintenance and wheel swaps for seasonal tires. I'm having high-lift garage doors with LiftMaster wall-mounted door openers installed today. The actual lift will be the next purchase.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

A couple of things that amuse/concern me on the ezcarlift site.
1) The video shows it lifting a full size pickup (looks like a Chevy). The curb weight of those is at 4500 pounds or more, significantly exceeding the advertised 4000lb limit of the lift.
2) None of the pages I checked ever discuss the safety features of the lift. As Racewin2 points out, I would be afraid to get under it without additional knowledge or supports.
3) The video showing the car driving over it clearly shows the small casters used for placement twisting heavily under stress. Doesn't look like you should drive over it unless you don't mind breaking the wheels after a few times.

It does seems awfully expensive for its tech, I would have guessed a retail cost of about half that. Overall, the amateurish nature of the presentation and failure to adhere to their own recommended limitations makes me doubt their engineering judgement. Some of the other suggestions look more reasonable but may have clearance problems with our cars.

I still find myself interested in the stands you see in jkw911's avatars as possible a reasonable and more cost effective alternative unless you really need the extra height.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Edgemonty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching this myself. The first thing you need to do is to find out how tall your proposed garage it. If it is less that 11-12' then your limited with the options you have. I too have a garage just under 11 feet tall. I have looked at the Bendpak but I have been looking closely into the Danmar Max Jaxx (http://www.maxjaxusa.com/) It works for lower garage heights and they are selling it at Costco. but take a look around. I know that the MaxJax won't let you stand up fully and walk under the vehicle but lift height is about 48"
Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Captsteve123
What's the dimensions for the lift points on car if you set the jacks from drivers side to passenger side, left to right? Instead of front to back the traditional method, it might work like that.
That's thinking outside the box! But, the track width on a 997 is 58.5" so in this case it doesn't help with the shorter-length products. And, that's a great idea if the lift is portable but not if it gets recessed into the floor. Here's my adjustable solution (spec'd out by a structural engineer):
Name:  solution.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  356.7 KB
Name:  car on lift.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  357.9 KB
Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 PM
BSU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upier

Originally Posted by MFGJR
The actual lift platforms on the Quick Jack are only 46", while the 997 jack points are 54" apart. The plastic covers under the car protrude, so you can't just lift the car on the pinch welds without damaging the covers.

The unit posted by the OP has 60" platforms, which will adequately span the jack points while still clearing the tires. Seems kind of pricey given that it's powered by a drill rather than hydraulics, though.
Check out the new quickjack BL-5000XL. They extended the platforms. Works like a charm.

http://www.quickjack.com/products/bl...-capacity.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:38 AM
upier
Racer

That looks like a winner. Where did you buy it? The link shows out of stock.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That Quickjack does look like a winner!

Quick Reply: Car Lift