Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2RS Fatality. Opportunity to Reflect on Safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by OGRacing
Recently I moved from a HANS to the Issac Device and now to the Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Device (http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com...ybrid-pro.html) which I really like. It can be worn with stock 3 point belts and does not need a 5/6 point harness to work and it also offers lateral protection that a HANS does not.

I have asked for at least 2 years for the test results where a 3 point belt was used during testing. None have been provided. And yes, we do sell both companies products. I'm not trying start a fire storm about H&N systems. I'm just trying to make sure that everyone gets good info about safety equipment.

Bill
Great input, and reminds me of a question I had when looking at the photos of the Hybrid: While it certainly straps to the torso, the collar looks very much like it is intended to be used with harness belts. Pete (or anyone), any input here?

Thanks!

pete
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
I agree. Especially those in street cars going 80% as fast a a race car with minimal safety equipment. That was a big reason for switching to a full race car. So sad.
In some cases street cars that are faster than full out race cars from not too long ago...
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know how much safer one can be in a street car- multiple airbags, 5 point harness, h&n restraint, helmet, etc. There comes a point of diminished returns- for some, a dedicated track car is that point, and for others a street car is that point. Acting like a moron in a race car is no more safe than driving within your limits in a street car. The point is- it's not the car, it's the driver (just like it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger).
Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
The point is- it's not the car, it's the driver (just like it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger).
Agree with you for the most part, but sometimes the driver is not at fault. Last year at Mosport, I had a coolant fitting blow out that caused an unexpected spin at 130km/h. On a normal hot lap, the speed would have been ~200km/h between two concrete walls.

I think the key is that you can only control so much on the track, the rest is left up to chance and this fatality is a reminder that it's our duty to our families and friends that we improve our odds of beating that chance encounter with the unexpected.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hopefully he went quickly
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by excmag
Great input, and reminds me of a question I had when looking at the photos of the Hybrid: While it certainly straps to the torso, the collar looks very much like it is intended to be used with harness belts. Pete (or anyone), any input here?

Thanks!

pete

It does NOT work with three-point (I was originally mis-informed by an employee there) and works really well (claimed) with harnesses.

I respect the other poster questioning and seeking the data for 3 point use. I would love to see data as well. With that said, and having handled and worn the device it is my impression that it would offer some level of support based simply upon the torso straps as long as they were quite snug. it certainly strikes me as more protection than nothing or gosh forbid a horse collar

Last edited by savyboy; 10-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

The reality is, at some point, even the best, will loose control and when that happens all one can really depend on is the safety equipment and luck. Why risk it? And having the equipment obviously is not an excuse to be stupid. But not having the equipment in any case IS stupid. There is no powerless a feeling than losing control and seeing a wall that you are about to impact.... I know. All you can do is hope your equipment does the job. Be smart people. Buck up and get your equipment. That is first and foremost purchase above any performance track mod... period.

996 Cups are under $70k now.... anyone who regularly tracks a new $150k GT3/RS has no excuse to not have safety... as a full race car that is fast costs 1/2 the price. It's for your own safety. Anything can happen out there. Why not be prepared.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Blick report says a 13-year-old boy, the son of a friend of the driver, was also in the car but suffered only a broken arm and was taken to hospital.
Lucky boy.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

There's a risk profile we each get comfortable with...my comfort ran out pushing a 1.5 tonne car beyond 140mph...on R compounds....running inches from a concrete wall...with nothing more than a 3point and a helmet....(yes...dumb....but....actually no buts....)

I look back on that experience and relish the aural..visual...sensations....but then my head kicks in..and works out the kinetic energy....that i would have been really ill-equipped to handle if something went seriously wrong that close to that rather inflexible barrier...

In my case the risk::reward equation had reached a point that no longer made any sense .....

Were I to return then it would be with the kit that rather better biases that equation in the reward direction: race car, full safety kit (fuel system, HNS, Cage)....life's just too effin short to cut corners.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag

Thanks!

pete
Only the R3 is for both 3 point and harness. The R3 is the one that goes down the spIne of your back
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Well, I don't know how much safer one can be in a street car- multiple airbags, 5 point harness, h&n restraint, helmet, etc. There comes a point of diminished returns- for some, a dedicated track car is that point, and for others a street car is that point. Acting like a moron in a race car is no more safe than driving within your limits in a street car. The point is- it's not the car, it's the driver (just like it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger).
cleary you have not been on track when someone punted you off? i have been punted off at over 100mph.

if you track long enough you will

skid over coolant.
silde over oil.
someone will hit you
someone will spun you out.
walls sometimes move into your path.
cup car wheels and axels flew at me (it just fell off, he didn't hit anything)

having saftey equipment wont always help, but one can't have too many safety equipment.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. Most of my worst track accidents have been caused "albeit involuntarily" by people losing control or having soome type of mechanical issue with the cars surrounding me or immediately ahead of me.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
The reality is, at some point, even the best, will loose control and when that happens all one can really depend on is the safety equipment and luck. Why risk it? And having the equipment obviously is not an excuse to be stupid. But not having the equipment in any case IS stupid. There is no powerless a feeling than losing control and seeing a wall that you are about to impact.... I know. All you can do is hope your equipment does the job. Be smart people. Buck up and get your equipment. That is first and foremost purchase above any performance track mod... period.

996 Cups are under $70k now.... anyone who regularly tracks a new $150k GT3/RS has no excuse to not have safety... as a full race car that is fast costs 1/2 the price. It's for your own safety. Anything can happen out there. Why not be prepared.
+1

People are playing Russian roulette to travel at full board track speed without max safety equipment. Almost everyone I know on the track that's a fast driver have crash one time or another in wet or dray conditions. My exact reason to switch to a Cup car. On more than one occasion I wish I still drive a street GT3 for ease of track prep and none of the hassles of load and unload a Cup. But once I step in the purposely build Cup with stupid strong roll cage, fire suppression system, fuel cell and bunny ear OMP seat I know why I made the switch.

Despite of all the precaution I take for safety sometime my should belt slide off the HANS device which makes me wounder if I should wear a strap on set up mentioned by Pete.

We don't know what happened to the GT2 RS to make it go off and crash. I feel really bad for the driver and family. This 2 RS incident could very well be a fender bender instead of fatality. There are countless variable at play.

Originally Posted by mooty
cleary you have not been on track when someone punted you off? i have been punted off at over 100mph.

if you track long enough you will

skid over coolant.
silde over oil.
someone will hit you
someone will spun you out.
walls sometimes move into your path.
cup car wheels and axels flew at me (it just fell off, he didn't hit anything)

having saftey equipment wont always help, but one can't have too many safety equipment.
very, very true
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree with the safety equipment. Totally.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford a roll bar and seats at this point...therefore, I track very conservatively. There's no prize for the fastest lap time for me anyways.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I agree with the safety equipment. Totally.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford a roll bar and seats at this point...therefore, I track very conservatively. There's no prize for the fastest lap time for me anyways.
Mr VISA and Master card is your friend. You need roll bar and harness yesterday. I witness a severe crash two weeks ago involving a 2011 911 ... no roll bar or harness into a wall by a intermediate driver. Total the car and both driver and passenger walked away but hurt ...

Quick Reply: GT2RS Fatality. Opportunity to Reflect on Safety