Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Still no word if 295/30/18s PSS will be introduced? Will PS2s be sold at clearance soon?

Id rather buy cheaper PSS than PS2s. Those crooks still want almost 500 bucks for rears in my size!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by bsavino
What is ice mode
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ly-got-me.html
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

quick feedback on mpss

if u track your car don't be surprised if you experience some rubbing (997.1 gt3). i dont have n-spec. Just something to be mindful of..
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
I have a few track buddies that are running them at the track and they are better than PS2 but not close to Sport Cups.

Depends who is driving them. A friend of mine drove with PSS last week and he clocked the same laptimes as with cups (and he for sure is no slow driver). The big advantage of the PSS over the Cup for amateurs is that they are easier to drive on the limit as they let go more smoothly than a Cup. It takes a lot more skill to drive a cup on the limit as it gets a lot more unpredictable if/when it lets go. I think that for a lot of amateur trackdrivers the PSS is a very good choice (and they last longer too). There is a big difference between the PS2 and the PSS.

No idea on how they perform in the California summer though.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Depends who is driving them. A friend of mine drove with PSS last week and he clocked the same laptimes as with cups (and he for sure is no slow driver). The big advantage of the PSS over the Cup for amateurs is that they are easier to drive on the limit as they let go more smoothly than a Cup. It takes a lot more skill to drive a cup on the limit as it gets a lot more unpredictable if/when it lets go. I think that for a lot of amateur trackdrivers the PSS is a very good choice (and they last longer too). There is a big difference between the PS2 and the PSS.

No idea on how they perform in the California summer though.
Not sure if I agree that the Cups are the same speed as the PSS. I followed a Gt3 riding Cups while I was on my PSS around the track, and the PSS's have to do a LOT of work to accomplish the same thing that the Cups do. Granted, it takes more effort to dial in the Cups (kind of), but they are a significantly quicker tire..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmardini
Not sure if I agree that the Cups are the same speed as the PSS. I followed a Gt3 riding Cups while I was on my PSS around the track, and the PSS's have to do a LOT of work to accomplish the same thing that the Cups do. Granted, it takes more effort to dial in the Cups (kind of), but they are a significantly quicker tire..

I never said that they are faster. I only say they are easier to drive on the limit as the cup is a lot harder to control on the limit. I takes a lot more skill to drive cups at 99% than it is to drive PSS at 99%. And by on the limit I am not saying that if your tyres squeal you are driving them on the limit, I talk about correctly driving them on the limit, not through push-understeer or oversteer by giving it way too much throttle.

Also it is hard to compare cars with different drivers and make conclusions about tyres. I also cannot give you any laptimes as you guys do not really know the tracks we drive around here
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I never said that they are faster. I only say they are easier to drive on the limit as the cup is a lot harder to control on the limit. I takes a lot more skill to drive cups at 99% than it is to drive PSS at 99%. And by on the limit I am not saying that if your tyres squeal you are driving them on the limit, I talk about correctly driving them on the limit, not through push-understeer or oversteer by giving it way too much throttle.

Also it is hard to compare cars with different drivers and make conclusions about tyres. I also cannot give you any laptimes as you guys do not really know the tracks we drive around here
In that case I agree with you, the PSS is quite forgiving and you can throw the car around with reckless abandon Though, you are going slower so it is inherently easier to control the car.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Porsche dealer is replacing all four tires with ps2's on my soon to be GT3. Are they not allowed to place the MPSS even though it's a better tire?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
The Porsche dealer is replacing all four tires with ps2's on my soon to be GT3. Are they not allowed to place the MPSS even though it's a better tire?
If it is 'your' soon to be GT3, then make it 'your' actual GT3 subject to certain money for tires (what ever their cost is) and buy car as is - and then purchase the PSS yourself. PSS are not N-Spec so the dealer can't put them on.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
If it is 'your' soon to be GT3, then make it 'your' actual GT3 subject to certain money for tires (what ever their cost is) and buy car as is - and then purchase the PSS yourself. PSS are not N-Spec so the dealer can't put them on.
+1
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
sanchezdds
Instructor

If the dealer is not able to install the non N rated tires, then where do I take the car? My soon to be, comes with center lock wheels. A tire place around town refused to look at the car(tts) because of the center lock wheels.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
MSRPorsche
Intermediate

Please don't tell the local dealers they are not supposed to mount non N spec tires for us. They've been helping with our Hoosiers and other non N spec sneakers for quite a while.
Try asking the dealer again for the specific tire you'd like to have on the car.

Also, bmardini, just curious about what sizes you had rubbing issues with?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MSRPorsche
Please don't tell the local dealers they are not supposed to mount non N spec tires for us. They've been helping with our Hoosiers and other non N spec sneakers for quite a while.
Try asking the dealer again for the specific tire you'd like to have on the car.

Also, bmardini, just curious about what sizes you had rubbing issues with?
19" 35 235 in the front. Didn't have to change the castor, apparently you can shift the fenders slightly... which is better IMO
Old 10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
MSRPorsche
Intermediate

Surprised that a 235 rubbed. What camber/alignment set up are you running? Was it rubbing the fender lip, liner, or strut?
I'm curious because I intend to try the Super Sport, but in the 245 size.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
YearOne
Racer

What is the optimum size set up for a stock 997.1 GT3 then? I want to run more front tyre on my car compared to rear but i'd rather not move to new wheels right now but I think this is the only answer, the GT3 has too much rear tyre for my liking. I normally run 888s on the street which are lots of fun in the wet/cold.....

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports