Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 to Remain Manual Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Unless they develop it a lot, the current PDK doesn't make sense for a trackday car. I doubt it will be as reliable as a manual transmission + clutch when used intensively (30 trackdays a year). ...
Really? Now I know.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's hope the metzger goes away. Tired of leaky motors... PDK with 4.2 liter DFI engine FTW!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's like when cd's replaced records.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

I feel like I'm in the minority,... something about heal-toe downshifting and driver skill make the GT3 what it is. I cannot imagine a GT3 without an option for a manual transmission. I feel quite disengaged with paddles on the track - be it a 430 Scud, GTR, my ISF or M3.

I hope Tom is right and Cup technology will be put in the street car. I will hold out and see if there are any issues with the PDK on a GT3 with continued track use.

The scary part for me is that my wife will be able to drive it.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I feel like I'm in the minority,... something about heal-toe downshifting and driver skill make the GT3 what it is. I cannot imagine a GT3 without an option for a manual transmission. I feel quite disengaged with paddles on the track - be it a 430 Scud, GTR, my ISF or M3.

I hope Tom is right and Cup technology will be put in the street car. I will hold out and see if there are any issues with the PDK on a GT3 with continued track use.

The scary part for me is that my wife will be able to drive it.
It will be bad when my wife can drive my GT3.

Right now every time she... comments... about the car I just say "you drive it, you'll see what I mean, you'll love it" with the full knowledge that she can't drive a stick. Nice strawman there.

If PDK comes along I'm not sure how I will be able to convince her that a GT3 is a household neccessity...

Then again, maybe she'll drive it and love it...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Let's hope the metzger goes away. Tired of leaky motors... PDK with 4.2 liter DFI engine FTW!
Ban him and take away this pretty yellow GT3 from the undeserving.
Mine does not leak yet..

PDK has it's place and when I forget how to drive, my 1000HP Turbo S wil have track enhanced SC a la Ferrari and McLaren, preprogrammed for every know traxck in the world, airbrakes, torque vectoring, radar enhanced braking point alert, the line projected in the windshield, for the few days when you want to take it off auto pilot to impress a passenger.

It already exists. The GTR, Mclaren and Ferrari are trying to hide it, but not so for BMW, it will help with keeping the fat useless new BMW's exceeding the trans, motor and brake parameters.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/126-top-gear-self-driving-bmw_180380.htm
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
demiruyar
Rennlist Member

What have you been smoking lately ?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM
jenk12m
Banned

No leaky motors on the 3.8's
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
it's like when cd's replaced records.
cd garbage
record lp wins
i presume you also have a nitty gritty or vpi record cleaner? i love these things.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
No leaky motors on the 3.8's
ROFL

check my topic
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

PDK has it's place and when I forget how to drive, my 1000HP Turbo S wil have track enhanced SC a la Ferrari and McLaren, preprogrammed for every know traxck in the world, airbrakes, torque vectoring, radar enhanced braking point alert, the line projected in the windshield, for the few days when you want to take it off auto pilot to impress a passenger.

It already exists. The GTR, Mclaren and Ferrari are trying to hide it, but not so for BMW, it will help with keeping the fat useless new BMW's exceeding the trans, motor and brake parameters.
That's a funny video. I disagree with your argument though. The argument about newer/better/faster/less involving technology keeps getting recycled over and over. Eventually the new tech sinks in with the guardians of the old school, then everyone is converted. The only reason you ascribe "less involving" to PDK is because you are a slow adopter when it comes to new technology.

Case in point - do you remove your ABS so you can experience threshhold braking (a lost art)? Do you remove your tranny synchros so you can show us your more involved double clutch downshifts and be a real "man"? How about the LSD, magneto shocks and self tightening engine mounts?

Only a real man can double clutch downshift while threshhold trailbraking (with some engine braking due to crappy drum brakes) on high slip angle bias ply tires and then accelerate perfectly without limited slip.

If you can't/don't do that, you are using better/faster/newer/less involving technology already. And making the silly argument that your particular perspective on "low involvement" is somehow the most relevant.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

There are a lot of 70's Porsche's around for those that want to feel more involved in there driving.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by Earlierapex

Case in point - do you remove your ABS so you can experience threshhold braking (a lost art)? Do you remove your tranny synchros so you can show us your more involved double clutch downshifts and be a real "man"? How about the LSD, magneto shocks and self tightening engine mounts?

Only a real man can double clutch downshift while threshhold trailbraking (with some engine braking due to crappy drum brakes) on high slip angle bias ply tires and then accelerate perfectly without limited slip.

If you can't/don't do that, you are using better/faster/newer/less involving technology already. And making the silly argument that your particular perspective on "low involvement" is somehow the most relevant.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
That's a funny video. I disagree with your argument though. The argument about newer/better/faster/less involving technology keeps getting recycled over and over. Eventually the new tech sinks in with the guardians of the old school, then everyone is converted. The only reason you ascribe "less involving" to PDK is because you are a slow adopter when it comes to new technology.

I think your comment on "slow adopter" deserves merit. On the other hand, lets look beyond the GT3 scope of things. Look at the GT-R, F458, GT3 and Viper ACR (listed in increasing "involvement"). Despite being the quickest thing by a mile, most purists don't enjoy the GT-R. The F458 I don't have much info on as a track weapon. The Viper is too "raw" (too "involved"?) for my taste. So I don't think its a question so much of what new technology Porsche is going to install, but a fear (which I have as well) of losing the ethos of the GT3, which is a "drivers" car.

You can have that with ABS, PDK, LSD, SC, TC, and all sorts of acronyms. Porsche can build a car to "involve" you as much as you want. The fear is that Porsche will follow the GT-R route and turn our beloved GT3 into a supercomputer, a fear bourne by a perception (real or otherwise) that the company is going down the mass-market route and abandoning or at least marginalizing its motorsport and sports car core.

Also driving a GT3 places a premium on driver skill which I think is a second area of concern - when you start your relationship with your GT3, you can count on a long and rewarding training period where you learn to drive the car faster and faster. Such an important point for someone like me anyway - the journey is as important as the ultimate result. Actually a good friend of mine, after a 10 minute street drive of my 997.1 gt3, just ditched his M6 for a '10 GT3 for exactly that reason; in his own words "I miss DRIVING a car!!"

So I think its important to not miss the forest for the trees. The technology is not the problem. Its how the technology is delivered as an "experience"...

*** Am pretty sure that if you put me in a early 90's Williams F1 car with TC, active suspension, and all the other goodies that we are all so afraid of it would still be a thrill of a lifetime....

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 to Remain Manual Only