Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Prices for a 2010-11 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011 | 10:52 AM
QueenCity911
Advanced

Originally Posted by triode
+1. I am apparently another anomaly (and take comfort in being in the minority).
+2.....
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KarmanGT
10 GT3, kyrocks, richk, NJ-GT, 911SLOW, sin911, MarkD, ChrisF, 911rox - Thank you all for the sobering thoughts and numbers. Please, hear me out and tell me what you think...

For a year or so, my heart has been saying to go with the GT3, but my brain has been telling me to get the higher clearance 911 Turbo because of the bad roads in Massachusetts – ramps, bumps, pot holes, driveways, etc. But, I love the sound, racy looks, sensation, excitement, and the visceral responsiveness that a GT3 can bring over the turbo. Since I am close to the city, I am only looking for cars with a Front Lift System.

I've never driven a GT3 nor a 911TT, but have driven a 550 Maranello, Cayman, and a Corvette GS, and I felt the ride too soft, unresponsive, and uninspiring. I am not looking for a boulevard cruiser, nor a daily driver, since I have 2 other vehicles for that purpose. I don't want to get bored quickly because I intend to keep it for >10years. I don't mind trading off a little practicality for racy looks and feel, but don't want something too impractical -- a true dilemma!

The GT3 fits this purpose IMHO and is by no means too impractical... Just a little impractical if it was your only car. I bought mine for the same reason-the sound and feel but have since gotten addicted to track days...

Questions:
1. What kind/type of noise do the brakes make on the street? They're not smooth?... How about the PCCB?... Is it objectionable?

They squeal a little when cold when coming to a stop. They just don't get warm enough in traffic but its not unusually loud if you are using OEM pads and not more aggressive ones

2. Do you recommend using different tires which hold up better for street only use?...

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Pilot Super Sports or RE11 as suggested. There are others also available. They will all give you better and safer wet weather grip and last 2-3 times longer. OEM tyres give you about 6-10k kms... not much...

3. How stiff is the suspension on the GT3 even with the Sport setting off?...

Stiff enough to remind you that you're driving something special but not too harsh. I find it very comfortable. Seats make a big difference. If you won't be tracking, don't go race shells as they have less padding and you feel the bumps more. I have standard sports seats and they are just fine, even on long drives...

4. I am curious if there's a lower wing for the GT3 that looks less juvenile? The GT2 size wing looks perfect; can it fit on a GT3?...

No, it is what it is... Looks awesome in the flesh... Don't worry about it. People appreciate its uniqueness...

5. The Turbo sounds like an electric fan at best, what can I do make it sound more like a GT3 if I went with a TT?...

Not much...

6. Any other quirks I should be aware of?...

Clearance issues for street driving so front lift might suit you best, heavy clutch but not too bad and centrelocks that require specific tools and procedures to remove/replace if you choose to service them yourself... Also, frequently a puff of smoke on start up which is normal and occasionally a machine gun rattle on start up- again normal...
Thanks Guys!
Responses in red above!
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:16 AM
kosmo
Race Director

i've been looking at 10 GT3 prices for several months. On Avg they look to be in the low $100s (100-110k)

I was speaking to my salesman yesterday and he believes these will be in the $80's (retail) in about a year.
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:34 AM
richk
Drifting

The axle lift on the GT3's is awesome. And I live in the hills of Los Angeles.

1st choice = GT3

2nd choice = GTS
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:53 AM
Richie18
Instructor

It seems the price data as been covered. I will comment on the numerous posts telling you not to get a GT3, don't listen to them.

I received the same warning that a GT3 is not a weekend car. I highly disagree, i enjoy my GT3 everyday, not just the weekend. If i only drove it on the weekend i wouldn't mind if it was even louder and more raw.

1) The low front spoiler has never limited me front entering any entrance. Just have to enter at the right angle, and if it scrapes, no big deal, you can hardly notice it, and its designed to do so.
2) The suspension never feels too stiff, the cabin never too loud, just felt like some special. (i've taken it on 4 hour drives as well.) My significant other doesn't even complain about the stiffness.
3) I have Ceramic brakes and they almost never squeal
4) Stock tires can easily be replaced with something much more suited for street (MPSS as mentioned above), even with that said, i have the MPSC and i can say i have never not taken the car out due to weather, yet.
5) The heavy clutch can get bothersome in stop and go traffic, but you don't take a car out on the weekend to be stuck in traffic
6) the only downside i have is leaving the car in a public place, but that wouldn't matter if it were a GT3 or GTS.

It seems that unless you plan on tracking the car this board deems you unworthy of ownership and points you elsewhere. As if the GT3 was not designed to be driven on the street. May be they are that way because past GT3's were much more raw and not as street-able, but the 2010+ is a joy to drive everyday IMO.

There is no other car in Porsche's lineup that delivers the sensations of a GT3, if i chose a GTS per the recommendations here i'd be missing out on the 8,000 rpm sound track. While i plan on taking it to the track to enjoy 10/10ths of the car, i certainly have enjoyed the car thoroughly on the street.
I've accumulated about 3500 miles in 4 months time and they've all been fun, the only downside is that in a few months i'll have to put her away for winter hibernation.
Old 09-11-2011 | 12:29 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

I do some occasional DE's now days, but mountain drives on the weekends have become the main event with my GT3. I join a couple buddies and we have a blast. Those runs have become a real joy, pretty amazing drives. 5-8 hour journeys that require you to be in the moment. No interstate daydream cruises. I always think of Snowboarder as an inspiration, with all his mountain road exploits.
The GT3 shines.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011 | 12:32 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think if you have access to nice B-roads with light traffic and law enforcement then you have your own, natural, "track". I'm always convinced I'm going to loop the car under power (esp in 2nd gear), despite never managing it on track...
Old 09-11-2011 | 01:03 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I bought mine for mountain roads, occasional commute, and a handful of DEs a year. I love the on track experience, but don't like the scene that much.

Coming from air-cooled 911s, my only complaint has been the brakes -- not stopping ability -- but "feel" especially at low speeds in traffic. They are a bit soft if you are used to a rock hard pedal all the way through. The PCCBs are awful in this regard, but awesome in others. I've got Brembos steels now, and much better.

I would definitely prefer a bit more feel, though I think this car is (just about) as feelsome as they come nowadays.

My DMV told me the other day that my car ('11) had a market value of 104k FWIW. This is Alabama, mind you (insert Banjo joke of your preference).
Old 09-11-2011 | 01:10 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm told putting in SS brake lines improves feel a lot. Am having mine installed in a few days.
Old 09-11-2011 | 01:15 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

As lessons learned, you should go over to the Turbo section and ask some questions there. There are many that bought GT3s expecting them to be fine on the street, only to find them too stiff and too much work for the driver to deal with. These are very hard core sports cars with a lot of compromises. If I was not a track junky, I would have a Turbo or an F430 instead as both are so much easier to live with on a daily basis. A GT3 is a track car that can be driven on the street, while a Turbo or a Carrera S will be a street car that can be driven at the track. These cars are not a Carrera S with an aerokit, they are very different.

1. There are no quiet/street oriented brake pad options with the steel brakes. If you want brakes that don't sound at times like an entire school class of children scratching all their fingernails on a chalkboard in unison, but a Carrera S or Turbo.

2. You can use whatever tires you want, but you lose a lot of the sharpness that makes a GT3 a GT3 by going to something less grippy and softer while still keeping the harshness from the stiff suspension. If you want something that isn't harsh and doesn't scrape all the time, but a Carrera S or a Turbo.

3. The suspension is far stiffer that anything you have driven and you have no direct comparison. Having driven only a 550 Maranello, Cayman, and a Corvette GS; those cars are all soft, squishy and floaty compared to a GT3. There isn't much that compares: a Ferrari F360 CS or an F430 Scuderia are probably the only close comparison cars you can look at.

4. If you don't like the big wing, this is yet another reason to get a Carrera S or Turbo. The wing is functional and the 10' got stiffer springs to compensate for the additional downforce it creates. To mess with it will mess with the entire balance of the car.
Old 09-11-2011 | 01:23 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope your salesman is right about prices next summer...that's when I plan to start looking for one.

Originally Posted by kosmo
i've been looking at 10 GT3 prices for several months. On Avg they look to be in the low $100s (100-110k)

I was speaking to my salesman yesterday and he believes these will be in the $80's (retail) in about a year.
Old 09-11-2011 | 01:48 PM
vdodici
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 09-11-2011 | 02:06 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

I'm told putting in SS brake lines improves feel a lot. Am having mine installed in a few days.
Couldn't tell much of a difference re lines. Good fluid, and a really good bleed (after letting the car become very cold) really helps. Those last couple of bubbles can hurt feel. Also, street pads retain their feel better than track pads (too efficient at dissipating heat).
Old 09-11-2011 | 02:21 PM
KarmanGT
Track Day

You guys are the best! I love the active interest and knowledge here! Thank you, sin911, triode, bmardini, aussie jimmy, QueenCity911, 911rox, kosmo, richk, Richie18, fjpdds, jlr, 10 GT3, and vdodici for the great advice!

- In summary, so it's the steel rotors that squeak when cold?... Wow, I heard it on a Akrapovic ad on youtube - sounded like the pads had to be replaced.
- How do the PCCB sound and feel compared to steel?...
- Should the PCCB have to be replaced (yikes $16k), do you recommend going with Brembo steel rotors for street use?...

I am relieved to hear that 2010+ GT3 are more street friendly than the previous years. I am also glad that there are street friendly tires- the MPSS might be the ticket. I saw an over-optioned 2011 GT3 with PCCB rotors, bucket seats, dynamic mounts, sport chrono, etc. I might be willing to swap the bucket seats in the future with conventional seats if ends up to be a back buster. The dealer is hounding me down, but I haven't made an offer yet because I wanted to ask you the aforementioned questions to the forum first. I wonder if it makes a difference if I buy cash, NO financing?...

10 GT3, I might just pose the question to the 911 Turbo section too... Measure twice, buy once!

... I can't depart this world without at least entering one track event at some point. I hope to see some of you there if I get one. NOTE: should you have the faster car, I am the type that will let you pass. That's how you know it's me. In the meantime, I am totally content escaping into the back roads, or weekend trips to Cape Cod to get away from the operatory - barring the huge traffic. The driving excitement would keep me going all week, until the next weekend excursion...

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-11-2011 | 02:30 PM
DLJ
Racer

Originally Posted by fjpdds
I do some occasional DE's now days, but mountain drives on the weekends have become the main event with my GT3. I join a couple buddies and we have a blast. Those runs have become a real joy, pretty amazing drives. 5-8 hour journeys that require you to be in the moment. No interstate daydream cruises. I always think of Snowboarder as an inspiration, with all his mountain road exploits.
The GT3 shines.
+1 fjpdds!
If you have the roads to enjoy the car in your area and no track available, why deny yourself the pleasure of having the Pcar you would really want and are thrilled to drive vs. a compromise. (Driven reasonably on highway of course.) Personally, I have lots of options for country driving in my region ranging from fun twisties to long open prairie high speed, low law enforcement highways for lots of variety and ability to enjoy a GT3 or a TT (not to the max of course but fun nonetheless). The S wouldn't inspire me in the same way these models do.
As an owner of the 09 C4S pdk and the GT3 , fjpdds, I would imagine that you can be one of the folks here who can actually attest to the pros and cons of both models (not the CTS perhaps unless you have experienced that model), and likely I expect that you would always choose your GT3 to drive for fun for the reasons others have expressed. I don't see why it should be just a track car and nothing else. As far as ride and comfort, clutch,etc. is concerned,I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on what the OP would really be comfortable with (speaking as a past air-cooled Pcar and heavily clutched, rough cars owner). Those things can be part of what an owner wants to actually experience, not a negative aspect of the experience.
I think the OP needs to get some seat time in the GT3 and TT (and perhaps a CTS) to evaluate them and then decide - just my .02 worth...

Quick Reply: Prices for a 2010-11 GT3